Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety / Define the Great Line Tour Repress

tlr

Probably should check out Caspian but I'm not going to this. Underoath is in my top five most underwhelming live bands.

They aren't great live. I can't imagine they've gotten better. I hope they're good though. But seriously, I'm all about Caspian. This should be an interesting few shows.

I'm just really hoping the Underoath fans of the mid 2000s have evolved, and aren't pretentious scene kids. It's cool Underoath likes Caspian a lot, enough to have them open. Hopefully Underoath fans have expanded their taste, and in combination with the heavier Dust & Disquiet they will dig Caspian.

I'm seeing them in Pittsburgh next month at a small venue, and I'm so excited. Their new material KILLS live.

Grew up listening to underoath, personally love their live show. So naturally I was stoked when they announced a new tour. But I am more excited hearing this than I was the initial announcement. I've wanted to see caspian live for a long time. I was stuck in the hospital the last time they came through Chicago. This should get them a lot of exposure and they deserve it.

Grew up listening to underoath, personally love their live show. So naturally I was stoked when they announced a new tour. But I am more excited hearing this than I was the initial announcement. I've wanted to see caspian live for a long time. I was stuck in the hospital the last time they came through Chicago. This should get them a lot of exposure and they deserve it.

You are going to be blown away. They get more incredible every time I see them, and I've been going to their shows since 2005.

I think their new material will blend pretty well with Underoath, honestly. I'm interested to hear how it sounds. I'm hoping they get at least a 45 minute set, considering a good amount of their songs are on the 7 - 10 minute mark.

Well, they announced their opener: http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/underoath_reveal_support_for_reunion_tour

Have seen this "Caspian" band talked about on here (shout out to Dave Grohl's signature). Guess I need to check them out now...

maybe i've just lost total interest in "post-rock" these days (talking here about bands that sound less like OG post-rock i.e. Slint and more like some exercise in turning soft plucky melodies into powerchord sludge fests), but i never thought highly of Caspian in the context of their peers such as EITS/Godspeed/etc.

maybe i've just lost total interest in "post-rock" these days (talking here about bands that sound less like OG post-rock i.e. Slint and more like some exercise in turning soft plucky melodies into powerchord sludge fests), but i never thought highly of Caspian in the context of their peers such as EITS/Godspeed/etc.

Caspian is goes far beyond EITS, bud.

I like Caspian, but they're definitely not one of the more critically acclaimed, or highly praised bands within the genre. And I'm not just saying "they're not popular like EITS", but their albums have generally been met with mixed reviews. Some praise, some criticism, and a lot of people who can't be bothered to listen to another band that sounds like them. It just happens that there's like 5 guys here who absolutely love them.

I would still definitely list them as "above average", by quite a bit, within the genre to me.

I've listened to a fair bit of post-rock over the years, and Caspian have seriously progressed and become their own band.  They've incorporated a bevy of atypical instruments into their albums [along with vocals] instead of sticking to the tried-and-true tremolo picking and predictable climaxes that so many bands of the genre are known for.  They may not have had their foot in the door when bands like Mogwai, Godspeed, and EITS were blowing up the genre... but as 2016, I truly believe they're one of the few bands continuing to kill it and push forward in the genre.  Their 2015 release was a total breath of fresh air and quite possibly some of their best material to date.

Not arguing a point.  Just voicing my 2¢.

I've listened to a fair bit of post-rock over the years, and Caspian have seriously progressed and become their own band. They've incorporated a bevy of atypical instruments into their albums [along with vocals] instead of sticking to the tried-and-true tremolo picking and predictable climaxes that so many bands of the genre are known for. They may not have had their foot in the door when bands like Mogwai, Godspeed, and EITS were blowing up the genre... but as 2016, I truly believe they're one of the few bands continuing to kill it and push forward in the genre. Their 2015 release was a total breath of fresh air and quite possibly some of their best material to date.

Not arguing a point. Just voicing my 2¢.

True. Post-Rock has become such a saturated, watered down genre that I think it is pretty hard for any band nowadays to receive too much praise/acclaim, unless their name is Godspeed. Hell, even Mogwai and EITS have got it pretty rough from most sites/fans on their most recent records. (Understandably, since they weren't very good).

I do find it odd how some genres can be so static, not really evolving much at all. But when it comes to post rock, it seems like if you don't push thr boundaries, you aren't going to make it. Gone are the days when you could write a beautiful guitar part with a slow build up, into a loud crescendo. Even if you pull it off, you'll get called generic or cliche, unless you work something else into the mix.

True. Post-Rock has become such a saturated, watered down genre that I think it is pretty hard for any band nowadays to receive too much praise/acclaim, unless their name is Godspeed. Hell, even Mogwai and EITS have got it pretty rough from most sites/fans on their most recent records. (Understandably, since they weren't very good).

Yeah, I'm a fan of both Mogwai and EITS as well, but there's no denying that their last efforts do not hold a candle to everything leading up to them, over the years.  In the case of Mogwai, it seems like they're actually tampering more with the electronic route – which isn't bad, but it makes you wonder if they missed the mark because they were trying so hard to break away from the post-rock mold.

I do find it odd how some genres can be so static, not really evolving much at all. But when it comes to post rock, it seems like if you don't push thr boundaries, you aren't going to make it. Gone are the days when you could write a beautiful guitar part with a slow build up, into a loud crescendo. Even if you pull it off, you'll get called generic or cliche, unless you work something else into the mix.

This is something I can agree with.  Which is why - even if it's been done a hundred times and it's yawn-inducing - I can still appreciate most rehashed post-rock in 2016 as long as it's done well.  The musicianship, well-executed buildups, lush guitar lines – even if I've heard something similar time and time again, I can at least get some enjoyment out of what I'm hearing.  I can't really say the same for bands who are trying to ape classic emo or post-hardcore in 2016.  It just does nothing for me.

“One of our favorite things about headlining tours is that we get to bring along bands that we think are awesome and we want people to see,” says Underoath keyboard player Chris Dudley. “Caspian is just a great band. They deserve the biggest audience possible and we think that everyone who comes to this tour is going to be blown away.”

Doesn't mean the fans will like them lol

I like Caspian, but they're definitely not one of the more critically acclaimed, or highly praised bands within the genre. And I'm not just saying "they're not popular like EITS", but their albums have generally been met with mixed reviews. Some praise, some criticism, and a lot of people who can't be bothered to listen to another band that sounds like them. It just happens that there's like 5 guys here who absolutely love them.

I would still definitely list them as "above average", by quite a bit, within the genre to me.

i can definitely see them being more interesting live, as is often the case with sprawling, multi-level post rock artists.

but having heard their first few studio albums back in the day, they seem even more complacent and formulaic than bands like Mogwai or Godspeed. haven't heard their latest LP, though, but honestly, i doubt they've made it this far, only to change up their sound a decade later. it seems more likely that, since they execute the post-rock formula very well, they're supported in that by their fanbase, and i can't blame them!

either way, this opener choice seems like Underoath returning a favor or helping friends out (which is totally ok!). but Caspian is neither a breakout band nor a consensus underground/mid-level indie classic.

So... if not Caspian, who would you have liked/preferred/chosen to be Underoath's opener(s)?

i mean, i'm not bothered that they selected Caspian at all. a bit surprised, perhaps. i would've expected them to take along some staple T&N/Solid State act that many UØ fans already enjoy (Norma Jean, August Burns Red haha, why not), or some up-and-coming metal/post-hardcore whose LPs you see floating around these forums. personally speaking, well... most of the bands i'd love to see paired with UØ are defunct :D

Caspian is far better than every band mentioned but like, imagine what Underoath fans like if they're going to see Underoath in the year 2016

In your opinion.

I've personally never heard of Caspian, so I'm going into it with an open mind. I think it caught people off guard considering they used to normally tour with bands like devil wears prada, norma jean, etc.

In your opinion.

I've personally never heard of Caspian, so I'm going into it with an open mind. I think it caught people off guard considering they used to normally tour with bands like devil wears prada, norma jean, etc.

It's an Internet forum, every single post on here has "in my opinion" as an invisible signature