How did you get into Post-Rock?

This is going to make me feel old.

I listened to tons of punk, hardcore, and grindcore in the late 80's straight through til , well now. I watched Iceburn transform from a weird hardcore band into the jazz behemoth that they became.

Mix that with my exposure to ambient music through my love of David Bowie's musuc. Eno and his curation of artists exposed me to am even wider breadth.

I was playing in jazz bands in my early teens and was exposed to Coltrane and Miles Davis etc through that.

I was exposed to Neurosis in a 1993 or 94 through Enemy of the Sun and fell in love with their monster sounds.

Isis first appeared in the winter of 97. I saw their 3rd or 4th show. The lineup at the time included Randy from Cable, Aaron Turner, Caxide, Aaron Harris, and an auxiliary drummer that also did time with Agoraphobic Nosebleed. I was blown away by their mix of Neurosis and GODFLESH and bought their demo at that show (Paper weight Fest in NJ May of 1998).

I followed Isis as they turned into a more Post Rock band

Through Isis and Mr Turner's Hydra Head I found Pelican and other more challenging music.

All of that prepped me for post rock.

My entry-point was seeing 65daysofstatic touring their debut album in '05. A couple of friends urged me to join them, as I haven't heard a single note of them prior. I dug it, but it didn't enthuse me all too much. I started buying and listening to their albums and I really fell for them, their energy and all the intricacies they'd scatter across the songs. I had a new band among my favorites. One of the few that wouldn't scream at me incessantly.

But it actually wasn't until '07 that I got seriously invested in exploring the genre more fervently. Again I was seeing 65dos play, this time they toured their third album, 'The Destruction Of Small Ideas', and I was sold instantaniously. They had gotten so much better at everything they were doing. 'The Conspiracy of Seeds' was the showstopper and anyone familiar with this record knows that it can be a game changer. To me it was, anyway. A couple guys from a then totally no-name band called Mutiny on the Bounty captured the stage, grabbed some mics laying around on the floor and screamed, on the top of their lungs, their fucking hearts out. I remember one of them spitting blood on the stage, that's how intense it was. And I was sold. 

I learned that what these guys are doing is called 'post-rock' and I thought 'well what a stupid kind of tag that is..', but it opened up a world of stupendous variety and significance. I left 65dos behind fairly soon, listening to the mentioned record every now and then. But I will forever remember them as the people who showed me. They screamed it in my face. And I listened.

Oh, man, I honestly don't really remember how I first came across it.... fuck. I really can't remember.

I wish I could remember what my first post-rock album was.

My Memory is terrible.  Might have been Agaetis Byrjun, probably was. I've listened to a wide range of music most of my life.  I think I was probably listening to post-rock before I knew what it was called. I know that makes me sound like I am trying to be a post-rock hipster, but really it is just me being old and forgetful, ha.

This is kind of related:

I wish I could remember where I read this, but I remember seeing some article or interview about early players in "post-metal" were trying to get the genre referred to as "steel" - so it went from "rock", then "metal" then "steel". I'm glad that never happened because what a stupid name

I save all of my Mylene Sheath invoices. J and L's hand written notes on there, I just can't bear to let them go.

And back tracing it to Pneuma makes so much sense. I know that was a gateway album for me into like minded genres.

Cough.

Still waiting on that top 10 list.

Cough.

I've been doing the same thing, haha.

Listening to that Moving Mountains album now, thanks Derek. This is fantastic stuff!

Keep the epic stories coming, guys!

It's sort of hard for me to remember because as a freshman in 2004 I was getting into everything I could find. Your typical cheesy high school style pop punk music, Thrice, Circa, Emery, and many others. I got a laptop and downloaded limewire and somehow came across a few songs from The Appleseed Cast. I remember listening and thinking to myself "holy crap that blows." Fast forward to April (I think) of 2008 and I was seeing Thrice and Circa Survive at Stubb's BBQ in Austin. My friends and I got there early and Pelican was the opening band. They blew me away. I don't listen to much of them now (not sure why) but they honestly opened my mind up to a whole other world of music and from then on I was hooked. A few months after the show with Pelican my wife and I went to warped tour in Dallas. I always like watching the smaller stages and discovering those up and coming artists I had never heard before. I remember the first set was watched was like Breathe Carolina (terrible band) After that on the stage to the left a band was setting up and they looked like a group of cool dudes so I told Brittany I wanted to stick around and watch. Almost everyone left! So the band starts playing and my jaw is on the floor. I kept looking at Brittany wondering why she wasn't "getting" it. After a few songs the lead singer says something along the lines of "Thank you guys for sticking around this long..we're Moving Mountains." They played another 3 or 4 songs and said they would be at their merch table if anyone wanted to say hi. I immediately went and bought a shirt and talked to the lead singer. I think his name is Greg? Someone better with band member names can correct me if I'm wrong. He complimented me on my Oceana shirt and we both just talked for about 15 min. I went home and downloaded Pneuma and couldn't stop listening. I remember hearing those Appleseed Cast songs again and thought they were perfect.

It's a really cool experience musically when you can look back and see different stages of where you started to mature or "grow up" in your tastes.

#postrockforever

My band opening for Caspian was a huge post rock moment for me..but I think it traces back a little further to Pelican and Russian Circles. Being from and a part of the diy scene in New Orleans I was exposed to a lot of music through Bryan Funck (singer of Thou). I guess I should thank that dude.

Listening to that Moving Mountains album now, thanks Derek. This is fantastic stuff!

Do yourself a favor and check out the Foreword EP as soon as you can. 4 tracks of greater length, that sprawl through the post-rock gamut more than their debut does. It was only a few years after Pneuma and you can really hear the progression. That opening song still does it for me, after all these years and listens. Highly recommended.

I found a used copy of This Will Destroy You's S/T on CD at my local record store in 2008, and purchased it due to the artwork and low price. Fell in love with it and used iTunes later to find recommended artists. That's how I found Caspian and If These Trees Could Talk.

I also had a friend dive in to this genre at the same time, and we would share bands that we had found with each other. He then started buying vinyl records, and I followed suit a few months later.

What really kicked it in to the next gear for me though was seeing This Will Destroy You live back in 2010 in Charleston while on a family vacation. They were incredible that night, and there were maybe 10 people at most besides the bands at that show. I brought my sister along and we stood right in the front, so it was crazy being that close and seeing everything that they were doing. When the show was over I immediately texted my friend to see them back home in Knoxville the next night. It just blew me away to feel and see such strong emotions come out of instrumental music.

On a side note, two nights after that show I went back to the venue and experienced Caravels for the first and only time. The show was packed with bands and they had to split their set with Reviver. They played the second half of it, and only got to perform one song. I remember the band and so many others being pissed when the sound guy cut them off after the one song and refused to let them play more. They out performed all the other bands that night with that one song.

Whatever happened to the best albums / artist of the month (etc) that was supposed to happen in the post instrumental thread?

Gumbo happened.

But really, what did happen? I was supposed to design some sweet headers and work with others to format those first few posts elaborately. I was thinking about that just the other day.

Gumbo happened.

But really, what did happen? I was supposed to design some sweet headers and work with others to format those first few posts elaborately. I was thinking about that just the other day.

I was thinking about this recently too. It was a great concept we had going from what I remember - top 10 essentials, top 10 upcoming, recommendations from the post-VC super squad (you, Matt, Don, among others). We're gonna have to get back on track. Past few months of that thread have been hectic.