Florida tragedy

dvv

James and I were at the Thrice show in Orlando and its mind-boggling to think this happened so close to where we were. Not to mention that it was less than two miles from other venues we frequent for shows as well. It's truly a tragedy. I've been trying to formulate words to express all the feelings and thoughts I'm dealing with, and just can't come up with anything. 

The fact that the mods on Reddit's /r/news are censoring this is fucked up. Look at the supposed "megathread" for discussion of the event, there are barely any comments. In fact, this link shows all the deleted comments in red. It's pathetic. 

https://r.go1dfish.me/r/news/comments/4nql8f/orlando_nightclub_shooting_megathread/

And as for the event itself, I'm just overwhelmingly saddened. I heard about Christina Grimmie yesterday, and I used to like her stuff, so that was one thing that made me question people's motives, but to wake up to this just a day later makes me frightened and embarrassed to share a species with some of these people. 

1 hour ago, THE_James_Champ said:

But we don't need stricter gun laws. Nope.

I see some really ugly conversations about this taking place on Facebook on Twitter. Not throwing shade at you at all James but I hope we can keep this thread focused on paying respects to the victims and their families and not turn it into a debate about gun laws. Again, not trying to be disrespectful towards you,  just want to nip it in the bud before it even starts.

3 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I see some really ugly conversations about this taking place on Facebook on Twitter. Not throwing shade at you at all James but I hope we can keep this thread focused on paying respects to the victims and their families and not turn it into a debate about gun laws. Again, not trying to be disrespectful towards you,  just want to nip it in the bud before it even starts.

Just keep in mind that several days ago, that Voice contestant was shot, while signing autographs. She was 22. Today, a man was arrested with guns and homemade bomb materials, this person was on the way to pride in LA, with an intention was to harm. 

Please tell me I need to mute my opinions.

From Equality Florida, a list of resources very important today.

Below are resources and ways to help the victims, families, and friends affected by the horrific mass shooting at Pulse.

Facebook Safety Check-In:
Let family and friends know you are safe by using Facebook's Safety Check-In feature:https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck/orlando-shooting-jun12-2016/ 

GoFundMe:
Equality Florida has set up a GoFundMe Account that has already raised over $500,000 of the current $1,000,000 goal. The funds raised will go directly to the victims and families affected by this tragedy. Donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/PulseVictimsFund

Counseling:

• The GLBT Community Center of Central Florida is referring folks to First Unitarian Church, 1901 east Robinson street, Orlando, FL 32803 for grief counseling. 
  • For anyone needing support today, you may call the Zebra Coalition hotline at (407) 228-1446 to speak to a counselor. 
  • From the UCF LGBT student services director: Our LGBT student hang out space, Pride Commons, will reopen Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm, with group counseling available from 1pm-2pm daily. 

Current List of Upcoming Vigils:

**ORLANDO** - A rally is being held at 7:00pm on Monday, June 13th at the Lake Eola Bandshell to show the world that we are #OneOrlando. More details here: facebook.com/events/234719866914077/

Broward - Vigil happening now at Pride Center in Wilton Manors.

Jacksonville - Vigil held on Sunday, June 12 in Jacksonville at 7pm at Memorial Park. More details here: facebook.com/events/1163741723657905/

Miami - Vigil held on Sunday, June 12 at 7pm at SoundScape Park, located at 500 17 Street, Miami Beach, FL. 

Palm Beach - Vigil on Monday, June 13th at 8:00pm at Cultural Plaza, Lake Worth, FL. More details here:facebook.com/events/1186080424756185/

Sarasota - Vigil on Monday, June 13 at 8pm at Five Points Park hosted by the Harvey Milk Festival. More Details here: facebook.com/events/1724608684477095/

Tallahassee - Vigil on Sunday, June 12 at 7:30pm at Lake Ella Park. Details here: facebook.com/events/1208614349157167/

Tallahassee - Vigil on Monday, June 13th at 6:30pm ET at the steps of the Florida State Capitol. Details here: facebook.com/events/1063260577099583/

Tampa - Vigil tonight at 7:45pm at Metro Wellness & Community Center, Ybor. More details here: facebook.com/events/1386000401415200/ 

For continued updates on upcoming vigils across the state, please visit: eqfl.org/news/pulse 

Blood Donations: 
Earlier today OneBlood, the local blood bank in Orlando, posted an emergency need for O-, O+, and AB Plasma in the light of last night's tragedy. Due to overwhelming support by the community, they are now asking that folks make an appointment to donate this week. Call 1.888.9.DONATE (1.888.936.6283) or click here: https://www.oneblood.org/donate-now/

Out of respect to the victims families, let's not discuss anything that would make guns rights activists confront the cognitive dissonance of maintaining a faux concern about the victims families while advocating against change that would address these mass shootings.  Thoughts and prayers.

36 minutes ago, THE_James_Champ said:

Just keep in mind that several days ago, that Voice contestant was shot, while signing autographs. She was 22. Today, a man was arrested with guns and homemade bomb materials, this person was on the way to pride in LA, with an intention was to harm. 

Please tell me I need to mute my opinions.

I'm not going to start anything in here in response to this, so let's not have this become a pro/anti-gun debate.

my thoughts are with the victims and their families.

Why is it so important to you that other people couldnt possibly feel for someone with different beliefs, orientation, or skin color? No one said they "understood" they said they were affected by it. Grow up.

Not the place for it, so, I'm not going to argue the point any further.

Edited by rooks

18 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

The fact that the mods on Reddit's /r/news are censoring this is fucked up. Look at the supposed "megathread" for discussion of the event, there are barely any comments. In fact, this link shows all the deleted comments in red. It's pathetic. 

https://r.go1dfish.me/r/news/comments/4nql8f/orlando_nightclub_shooting_megathread/

And as for the event itself, I'm just overwhelmingly saddened. I heard about Christina Grimmie yesterday, and I used to like her stuff, so that was one thing that made me question people's motives, but to wake up to this just a day later makes me frightened and embarrassed to share a species with some of these people. 

It's ridiculous that it took me a day or two to really get the full story because of the censoring. I finally saw it because of /r/uncensorednews. Hopefully that sub stays around.

Thoughts are with those that are affected.

Also, to anyone out of state you can still donate blood, and it will help. It situations like these, if extra blood is needed it will be flown in. So even if you aren't in FL, you can still help out [via blood donations], even if you're not able to make a money donation.

3 hours ago, thefavoriteplay said:

Truly horrible. I didn't even know this happened. I would like to know a couple things:

-Where was security at the club? 

-If the killer had been investigated by the FBI (twice) why did they give him a pass.

According to reports I saw, he raised their attention but never made enough contact (phone, web, etc) with extremists and/or ISIS to warrant staying on their radar. I don't know, really.

Truly a terrible, terrible event. Very sad for the loss of Americans. Even sadder that it's both an act of terrorism and a hate crime. I was surprised that this is the largest mass shooting on American soil. I would have assumed we've seen situations like this, but I guess it wasn't on the scale of so many people killed. 

RIP. 

3 hours ago, thefavoriteplay said:

-Where was security at the club? 

appears there was one armed security guard at the club. can't find details on their exact location at the time of the attack, but it's possible they were no longer at the front of the club at 2am, as the club was closing down. looks like the only other security was the bouncer, sadly confirmed as one of the victims. 

since the attacker was a security guard by profession himself, he most likely prepared and knew where and what type of opposition he would encounter.

4 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

It's ridiculous that it took me a day or two to really get the full story because of the censoring. I finally saw it because of /r/uncensorednews. Hopefully that sub stays around.

Thoughts are with those that are affected.

Also, to anyone out of state you can still donate blood, and it will help. It situations like these, if extra blood is needed it will be flown in. So even if you aren't in FL, you can still help out [via blood donations], even if you're not able to make a money donation.

you could have literally gone anywhere on the internet or TV and gotten updates and the story of what happened faster than you did on Reddit.

general note: please don't erase the fact that this was a hate crime targeted at the lgbtqi+ community. nobody was erasing the faith of those who were killed in SC at that church last year, or the fact that women were the ones targeted in the planned parenthood & elliot rodger attacks. this should not be any different.

i am not able to donate blood (or anything when it comes to the human body, for that matter), so I will be donating money on friday when i get my paycheck.

i also saw some reports/videos of eye witnesses claiming there were 2 other men working with the identified shooter who ran and have not been caught, but as a witness was talking about it on camera on abc news, they were cut off and it was played out as if the connection was lost.