What will happen to your records when you die?

8 hours ago, slinch said:

I hope I'll stop caring about records way before that, get rid of them, and use those funds for something more meaningful.

I hope I don't stop caring about records because that will mean I probably stopped caring about music, which would make life less meaningful. 

Anyway, no heirs for us, so I'll probably leave the wife instructions on how to sell off the ones she doesn't want to keep or the rest can be buried with me for all I care.

Edited by tonyfranciosa

11 minutes ago, tonyfranciosa said:

I hope I don't stop caring about records because that will mean I probably stopped caring about music, which would make life less meaningful. 

I'm with you on this. However, it's a pretty likely scenario that if I die at an old age, then either A. I'll be too old to be able to do the physically intensive aspects of listening to records (reading the spines, setting the needle down gently, packing and hauling them while moving) or B. the huge size and impracticality of my collection will lead my future children or caretakers to convince me to ditch this enormous, heavy thing. I'm fine with that.

To those who think your interest in having a record collection will taper off eventually, I'd recommend selling them now. You'll get more money and you can invest it in something that will have more lasting value to you. I'm a stubborn idiot who takes comfort in the familiar with and hates change, so I'm all in on dying with a stupid record collection.

I already made it clear to all my friends that I be buried with my favorite album, Type O Negative's October Rust. As for the rest, they'll go to my children as I hope they'll all be into the hobby, since I'll probably be exposing them to vinyl and record stores their whole childhood.

2 hours ago, tonyfranciosa said:

You do realize though that this is another way of saying that people who don't care about vinyl probably don't care about music. As if the only way to appreciate music is to obsess over a physical representation of it.

16 minutes ago, jmpatrick said:

I have a record collection death pact with my cousin who also collects vinyl.  If I die first he sells off my collection making sure to get a decent price, then gives the money to my wife and kids.  If he dies first then I do the same thing.

But if you were to conveniently expire at the same time, the butler would get everything!!

I have 2 sons. I have been slowly 1 & 3... I have been playing them music in the womb, Both boys fall asleep to Rockabye Baby style  lullaby renditions of music and I have music playing constantly. I take my 3 year-old crate digging at Flea Markets. I am grooming them with hopes that one of them take it over... altho I have considered lately to sell it as one lot and start over digging from scratch

On 8/18/2016 at 10:10 AM, somethingvinyl said:

I've instructed to son's mom to start everything for $5 on ebay and give it all to my son after expenses and she takes 25% for herself. I told her to not, without question, let any record people near them as they will lie, cheat, and steal to get them cheaply.

unless its rob gordon