WHY DO PEOPLE CARE ABOUT CORNER DINGS?!?

Satan

18 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

What's the difference in how old it is? If it's graded NM, I would expect NM.

If it's old and beat up, grade it accordingly, and there will be no surprises.

grading aside, I just meant people's expectations of condition in regards to blemishes on a cardboard sleeve that's decades old. But yeah there are plenty of nice copies of old items out there that fall in NM

If you are buying a second hand record please keep in mind that the jacket has probably been shipped 3 times. First printer to label then label to first user then first user to second user. The jacket could have a ding before it even got to the label. 

Many record labels work on a shoestring budget that increases their ding tolerance. 

18 hours ago, Satan said:

I've never fucking cared, nor do I give a shit, but a buyer in discogs asked -and I know ALOT of you bitch about it .

Is it pretentiousness? Is it because is has to be "perfect"? What? ITS A BUMP ON THE CORNER FOR FUCKS SAKE.

tell me.

I mean, this is like saying "why do people buying a used car ask if there are scratches in the paint?"

It really depends on what my expectations are.

If I am buying a new record, or a record that states that it is near mint, then it better be perfect.  I like things perfect, and I don't mind paying a little extra to ensure it is perfect.  On the other hand, there are some records that I just want a copy of, and I will happily buy a non perfect copy, as long as I knew ahead of time and paid what I thought was acceptable value.  

Edited by sve

27 minutes ago, leet-thrust said:

I mean, this is like saying "why do people buying a used car ask if there are scratches in the paint?"

How many people pay to get scratches/dents out of their cars? Most people just leave them. I've had my car for 6 years and it's littered with marks and i don't mind. 

I like to meet with every potential Discogs seller I may or may not do business with.  We sit down, talk terms.  If I like what I see, we take it for a spin so I can get a feel for what we're talking about.  There's usually some thorough back-forth haggling – gotta' make sure I'm getting the most out of the loan I took out for such a hefty purchase.

But really, please stop with the car comparisons. You may as well equate record dings to dents or knicks on the produce you buy at the grocery store.

"I'm paying goddamn well over $3.00 a pound for those carrots.  You're telling me it's okay if one is a little dented?  What if you bought a car that was 'a little dented'?  What then?  Tell me what when, motherfucker."

Edited by Derek™

58 minutes ago, sve said:

If I am buying a new record, or a record that states that it is near mint, then it better be perfect.  I like things perfect

Gotta say, you sound like rough buyer.  Can I get your eBay name to put a block on you?  I do understand your perspective - you should get what you paid for - cool.

I would just hope that you and buyers like you always make it *perfectly clear* to each seller before you purchase that you require absolute *perfection*. 

A bit much for me. Life and stuff.  Although I did have an odd fetish for sharp 90 degree corners back in my university days of sexual exploration. It got bad for a bit and I actually lost the very few friends I had. Ever-so-tight plastic over 4 perfect nineties was all I needed. That teetering balance of equilibrium - the plastic pulling in, the sleeve - just being. The threat of sharp-corner-collapse or bumpage-via-handling was titillating. PM me for details and links to my sharp corner blog, where we don't focus so much on the album, nor the album art. But we pay plenty of attention to those corners, let me tell ya! :)

2 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

How many people pay to get scratches/dents out of their cars? Most people just leave them. I've had my car for 6 years and it's littered with marks and i don't mind. 

i do. i fix that shit, it's tacky as hell and i have car insurance. there's this douche in my work parking lot who shoves his door wide open while exiting his vehicle without looking every goddamn time. he's probably single-handedly fucked up around 20-30 cars in the parking lot. i see him do it all the time from my work window and even captured it on video from my phone on 1 or 2 occasions. he drives an old truck that's full of dings, dents, scratches, and chipping paint. he even parks like a complete asshat all sideways and crooked all the time. i have a "ding threshold" and if that bastard crosses it, it's on.

Edited by Fungi

10 minutes ago, Fungi said:

i do. i fix that shit, it's tacky as hell and i have car insurance. there's this douche in my work parking lot who shoves his door wide open while exiting his vehicle without looking every goddamn time. he's probably single-handedly fucked up around 20-30 cars in the parking lot. i see him do it all the time from my work window and even captured it on video from my phone on 1 or 2 occasions. he drives an old truck that's full of dings, dents, scratches, and chipping paint. he even parks like a complete asshat all sideways and crooked all the time. i have a "ding threshold" and if that bastard crosses it, it's on.

Sounds like you prefer limi-ding your damage. 

Edited by freedumb

32 minutes ago, Fungi said:

I've always had it fixed, or fixed it myself also. Don't want to be driving around in something that looks like a p.o.s.

2 hours ago, freedumb said:

Gotta say, you sound like rough buyer.  Can I get your eBay name to put a block on you?  I do understand your perspective - you should get what you paid for - cool.

I would just hope that you and buyers like you always make it *perfectly clear* to each seller before you purchase that you require absolute *perfection*. 

A bit much for me. Life and stuff.  Although I did have an odd fetish for sharp 90 degree corners back in my university days of sexual exploration. It got bad for a bit and I actually lost the very few friends I had. Ever-so-tight plastic over 4 perfect nineties was all I needed. That teetering balance of equilibrium - the plastic pulling in, the sleeve - just being. The threat of sharp-corner-collapse or bumpage-via-handling was titillating. PM me for details and links to my sharp corner blog, where we don't focus so much on the album, nor the album art. But we pay plenty of attention to those corners, let me tell ya! :)

To each their own.  If you are selling records, just grade correctly and its really no big deal.  I dont order much on ebay, or online in general as it is.  The mail fucks stuff up more than anything.

4 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

If you are buying a second hand record please keep in mind that the jacket has probably been shipped 3 times. First printer to label then label to first user then first user to second user. The jacket could have a ding before it even got to the label. 

Many record labels work on a shoestring budget that increases their ding tolerance. 

Thats fine, just grade accordingly?

4 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

Lol, i definitely do.  Well, it really depends on how bad it is, but even little scratches and dings Ill try to buff out or pull out myself.  I special ordered the freaking thing, im going to try to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible.