HUM - Electra 2000 & YPAA Reissues

Hi all,
First off, the band sincerely appreciates all of the generous support and kind words we've received after releasing Inlet. We're not the best at responding, but it means a lot. So thanks again, from all of us!
Over the last few months, we've successfully navigated through some licensing stuff allowing us to re-release updated versions of Electra 2000, and You'd Prefer An Astronaut on vinyl. Our plan involves re-mastering and cutting higher quality pressings of these two records. We'll post another update once we iron out all of the details on release dates, label, etc... Since we've seen some inflated prices on the secondary market for our older records, we wanted to let people know as soon as possible. If folks don't mind waiting a little longer, we'll be able to produce a higher quality pressing that we have control over, and are proud of. We'll also have more copies of our Downward is Heavenward re-issue available in the near future as well.
We hope you all are healthy and well, and 2021 turns out to be a little easier for everyone. Take care.
-Tim

9 minutes ago, crossedoutname said:

Cancelled my order from SRC in November.  Took me about a month to get my order cancelled with weeks in between emailing.  They offered a refund or store credit + 10% .  Took the store credit

Holy shit, what a nightmare.  They have to be the worst label / distro ever.

I have followed the SRC fiasco with regard to the YPAA repress from afar and don’t have a dog in the fight nor am I one of the hundreds who have money tied up in a release that is never going to happen. Is it possible that SRC never had rights to do this repress and that is why it has never happened? Nothing would surprise me with SRC, but it would seem something  along these lines would have had to happen for a release to be delayed for this long. 

1 hour ago, kas1985 said:

I have followed the SRC fiasco with regard to the YPAA repress from afar and don’t have a dog in the fight nor am I one of the hundreds who have money tied up in a release that is never going to happen. Is it possible that SRC never had rights to do this repress and that is why it has never happened? Nothing would surprise me with SRC, but it would seem something  along these lines would have had to happen for a release to be delayed for this long. 

They pressed this record on several prior occasions 

37 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

They pressed this record on several prior occasions 

Right, but don’t they have to get rights/permission to press /X copies? I’m just positing the theory that they assumed they would be permitted to repress /X copies prior to being permitted to do so, because they had pressed this record in the past, thus preselling copies without the permissions to carry through. 

2 hours ago, kas1985 said:

Right, but don’t they have to get rights/permission to press /X copies? I’m just positing the theory that they assumed they would be permitted to repress /X copies prior to being permitted to do so, because they had pressed this record in the past, thus preselling copies without the permissions to carry through. 

SRC has been pressing their reissue since 2013.  They got the rights from RCA without the consent of the band.  So while it was a legit reissue with label support, it didn’t benefit the band monetarily.

I have no idea what their licensing contract terms were, if it was for a length of time, total number of copies, etc, but no licensing contract is unlimited. 

Just theorizing but, their contract could have been set to expire because of a new contract with the band.  They set up one last preorder but plant availability, covid, and other issues could have delayed it past the expiration and sell off dates of their contract.  Then they’re stuck with a shit load of preorder dollars, no product, and increasingly pissed of customers.

I would assume if the band approached RCA with a licensing deal, one caveat could have been to sever their deal with SRC.  That would be even easier to agree to if SRC’s contract was already expiring.