Record Store Day 2011 Thread - April 16

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Trouble In Mind's blog:

"We'll have our 2011 SXSW/Record Store Day 4-way covers split single out by the show featuring Mean Jeans (covering Sparks' 'Forever Young'), Eddy Current Suppression Ring (covering The Go-Go's 'We Got The Beat'), The Wrong Words (covering a PF Sloan song "Here's Where You Belong"), & also Jack Oblivian (covering Tommy James & the Shondells' "Moses & Me"). This 4-way split is ONLY available at this show & via your local record shop on Record Store Day (April 16th, 2011) - if you're unsure if your local store will carry it, & you'd like them to - have them get in touch with us at: [email protected]"

http://troubleinmindrecs.blogspot.com/2011/02/sxsw-2011-upcoming-stuff-for-2011-holy.html

god i wish this stupid trend would die. i am so not looking forward to record store day here at the store.

though i would jump up and down with glee if that piebald boxset happens and i own one.

fuck this lame ass cash grab day masquerading as an "indie" day, so that majors can grab some indie cred, since thats all the rage nowadays.

god i wish this stupid trend would die. i am so not looking forward to record store day here at the store.

though i would jump up and down with glee if that piebald boxset happens and i own one.

fuck this lame ass cash grab day masquerading as an "indie" day, so that majors can grab some indie cred, since thats all the rage nowadays.

I just wish I could get these records without having to drop INSANE amounts of coin after standing in line. This is all shit people obviously want.

yeah there are some decent releases, and its stuff people want. hell i want a couple of them myself.

Its just silly that its a hyped up day by bunch of large corporations taking advantage of the recent vinyl trend by putting way overpriced records out to make a few extra bucks while still keeping up the facade of keeping it all indie and supporting the local little guy.

yeah there are some decent releases, and its stuff people want. hell i want a couple of them myself.

Its just silly that its a hyped up day by bunch of large corporations taking advantage of the recent vinyl trend by putting way overpriced records out to make a few extra bucks while still keeping up the facade of keeping it all indie and supporting the local little guy.

It seems like the one day of the year where the record labels really like to take advantage of the people who still actually buy music. Unfortunately it doesn't stop me from going out and picking up a few things.

I am glad i only go and buy like 1 or 2 things on record store day. i wind up in line for 40 minutes, grab what i want and then look for other shit that isn't the usual record day stuff. Tnen go eat and am home by 11:30am.

super psyched about that coliseum/superchunk 7". such an odd split. reminds me of the Entombed/New Bomb Turks split that came out about 15 years ago.

Also excited about that Mastadon LP. more so because of the Crack THe Skye movie.

The Growlers New 7" single "Gay Thoughts/Good Feelings" is coming out 4/16 via Everloving for RECORD STORE DAY 2011. Limited edition.

Source: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6619960&id=60933375078

Mugstar cover ZZ Top for a split 12" for Record Store Day to be released on 16th April 2011.

Source: http://twitter.com/Mugstar

We are proud to announce the release of The Bouncing Souls – Live at Generation Records. The 12-inch vinyl LP showcases 11 tracks from the band’s celebrated acoustic performance at the store on Record Store Day 2009. It includes fan favorites like “Lamar Vannoy,” “Quik Chek Girl,” “Joe Lies,” “Gasoline” and a special cover of Sick Of It All’s “Good Lookin’ Out.”

Live At Generation Records will be released on Record Store Day 2011 (April 16th).

The record is a one-time, limited edition vinyl pressing of 1500 copies and will exclusively distributed by the Independent Label Collective.

Tracklisting:

01. Quik Chek Girl

02. Lamar Vannoy

03. Here We Go

04. Ghosts On The Boardwalk

05. I Like Your Mom

06. The Freaks, The Nerds, and The Romantics

07. Joe Lies (When He Cries)

08. Big Eyes

09. Gasoline

10. Good Lookin’ Out [sick Of It All cover]

11. Night On Earth

Side project of The Gaslight Anthem frontman Brian Fallon, The Horrible Crowes have posted a new blog update stating that we will see a LP from the duo this year. Brian & Ian currently have eleven demos finished and are looking to record six more before they head into the studio with Ted Hutt to record a full-length, which is expected to have twelve songs on it. THC apparently have other material set aside to release on Record Store Day.

Source: http://thenjunderground.com/blog/2011/2/14/brian-fallons-side-project-the-horrible-crowes-to-release-al.html

Side project of The Gaslight Anthem frontman Brian Fallon, The Horrible Crowes have posted a new blog update stating that we will see a LP from the duo this year. Brian & Ian currently have eleven demos finished and are looking to record six more before they head into the studio with Ted Hutt to record a full-length, which is expected to have twelve songs on it. THC apparently have other material set aside to release on Record Store Day.

Source: http://thenjunderground.com/blog/2011/2/14/brian-fallons-side-project-the-horrible-crowes-to-release-al.html

Anyone else not surprised they've got Ted Hutt producing?

On Record Store Day-- April 16 this year-- Brooklyn synth-rockers Bear in Heaven and Norwegian space-disco wizard Lindstrøm will team up to release a split single on Hometapes. On one side, Bear in Heaven will cover "Lovesick", a track from Real Life Is No Cool, Lindstrøm's 2010 collaborative album with singer Christabelle. Bear in Heaven have been covering the song live for a while now.

On the flipside, Lindstrøm remixes Bear in Heaven's great 2009 single "Lovesick Teenagers". As with all Record Store Day releases, this one will be available only at independent record shops, so line up early.

Source: Pitchfork

Evil Weevil Records has announced plans to release three albums by The Offspring-1994's Smash, 1997's Ixnay on the Hombre and 1998's Americana-on vinyl in conjunction with Record Store Day 2011, which falls on April 16.

More details (e.g. bonus tracks, etc.) to follow.

Source: http://www.punknews.org/article/41603

Evil Weevil Records has announced plans to release three albums by The Offspring-1994's Smash, 1997's Ixnay on the Hombre and 1998's Americana-on vinyl in conjunction with Record Store Day 2011, which falls on April 16.

More details (e.g. bonus tracks, etc.) to follow.

Source: http://www.punknews.org/article/41603

I just dug out my first press Ixnay last week for the first time in years. It still holds up I think.

That was the first lp I bought I think.

I'm not defending major labels, but what's this talk of a "facade"? I mean, what do you actually know? These are all assumptions. This day does draw more than the average amount of people "out da' woodwork" to quote the lyrical genius Fred Durst. It generates a lot of business for a lot of record stores on this day. I don't agree with many of the aspects of RSD, but I don't think that this is JUST a cashgrab by majors. It's mainly a cashgrab for majors, somewhat a cashgrab for indies ha, and a fun day for many others. Some people still have integrity and enjoy putting out cool things specifically on this day. I like it. VIVA RSD!

Holy shit - so pumped, especially for Why Should The Fire Die.

http://www.thebluegrassblog.com/nickel-creek-vinyl-reissues-in-april/

Sugar Hill will be releasing audiophile vinyl editions of their three Nickel Creek albums as part of the April 16 Record Store Day events. This includes their self-titled debut album, This Side, and Why Should The Fire Die each reissued as a 2-album set for $21.98 each.

The records will contain all the digitally-remastered tracks from each original album. Sugar Hill tells us that a 2-record set is required in each case to get all of the music from the CDs on vinyl.

These 3 double albums will initially be available only through record stores participating in the Record Store Day promotion on April 16, and then in wide distribution on June 7.

These collectors’ LPs may not be available until April, but if you act quickly you might win a mandolin autographed by the members of Nickel Creek: Chris Thile, Sean Watkins, Sara Watkins and Mark Schatz. Visit the official Record Store Day site to enter; deadline is February 28.