The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

The designer toy game is no joke. One of my old coworkers bought a huge limited piece for about a thousand dollars. Then you have the urban designers like the Sucklord who sell repurposed action figures for nearly 100 times their worth and they get snatched up quickly. I guess Mondo wants to be a part of that crowd.

$300+ because that's where the market is going with stuff like this. Mondo or some other company, doesn't matter. Add in the accessories, articulation/size and licensing, the Iron Giant figure is going to cost. As was previously mentioned, boutique toys like Hot Toys are selling upwards of $200 each, and those aren't 16 inches tall. Plus the fan base of Iron Giant is rabid for merchandise, so cha-ching $$ eyes.

You also have head of Mondo interviewed saying that the old Iron Giant super-figure goes for $700 on eBay. Expect them to spin their own figure: "look, our figure is almost as tall as the old one, way more detailed and much more limited... and it's only half the cost of the old figure."

Am I nervous? No, at $300 I might be in the market for one. If it breaches $400, I'm out. This is all my opinion of course, and I am nobody of note. Heck, I hope I am way off, they are under $200 and I can get two. One MIP and one to play with. But did anyone expect Mikey the ninja turtle to cost $105? I didn't see that one coming, but I avoid vinyl toy collecting.

$300+ because that's where the market is going with stuff like this. Mondo or some other company, doesn't matter. Add in the accessories, articulation/size and licensing, the Iron Giant figure is going to cost. As was previously mentioned, boutique toys like Hot Toys are selling upwards of $200 each, and those aren't 16 inches tall. Plus the fan base of Iron Giant is rabid for merchandise, so cha-ching $$ eyes.

You also have head of Mondo interviewed saying that the old Iron Giant super-figure goes for $700 on eBay. Expect them to spin their own figure: "look, our figure is almost as tall as the old one, way more detailed and much more limited... and it's only half the cost of the old figure."

Am I nervous? No, at $300 I might be in the market for one. If it breaches $400, I'm out. This is all my opinion of course, and I am nobody of note. Heck, I hope I am way off, they are under $200 and I can get two. One MIP and one to play with. But did anyone expect Mikey the ninja turtle to cost $105? I didn't see that one coming, but I avoid vinyl toy collecting.

It really depend's on where they believe their competition lies. Enterbay 1/4 scale figures (which are rougly 18") retail for over $400. However the detail on them far surpasses anything we've seen from Mondo's Iron Giant. Sideshow's premium format statues are $350-$400, but again, the attention to detail on those is insane. Then again, NECA's 1/4 scale line runs $70-$100 and if you'd show me their Iron Man mkVII next to Mondo's Iron Giant and asked me which one retails for more, I'd have a hard time choosing. But I'd expect the Iron Giant to be much closer to the $350-$400 mark just going by Mondo's history.

Well said... I was shocked by this Mikey Toy being 105$, If this would've been around 70-ish, i'd be all over it. Guessing more would be tempted as well