THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

Is this guy selling an Afghan Whigs LP without its jacket/cover art and calling it a test press??

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262242669237

But no, you see, it has a little square piece of paper that says "Test Pressing" taped onto the white sleeve.

Are you calling the little square piece of paper a liar?

Do test presses have different etchings?  Maybe a "TP" after the number or something that they take out when they start production?

Only if there needs to be a change to it. You will sometimes see a 1st production pressing with a 2 or higher in the matrix as the identifier for that pressing rather than a 1 as the 1 was for the test pressing which had an error or a flaw. Eg a test pressing might be EPC 2998 A1 for the test pressing side A and EPC 2998 A2 for the 1st production pressing side A, that of course depends on how a particular label or plant marks their plates.

Also a test pressing will generally have a different label to the production release be that a plain one or a generic manufacturer one that has the recording details typed or hand written on it.

I reached out to the guy and asked him what make this a 'test pressing'.

This was his reply..."Hi...I put out this record on my label. There's really no difference. The pressing plant, Rainbo, just had the labels available so they put them on instead of the usual blank white labels. But it is a test pressing. Thx Eric"

I reached out to the guy and asked him what make this a 'test pressing'.

This was his reply..."Hi...I put out this record on my label. There's really no difference. The pressing plant, Rainbo, just had the labels available so they put them on instead of the usual blank white labels. But it is a test pressing. Thx Eric"

yes and that Pink Floyd sleeve with a picture of Battersea Power Station on it contains a real flying pig