Po: Blink-182 - Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Lp + 3 7"s

jhulud

no single LP should ever retail more than $20. with double LPs i basically draw the line at $25.

but because there's a fancy jacket, it makes that one record double in value?

you guys seriously need to get real trying to justify this. saying that it's the norm is exactly why people are bitching. this has absolutely no business being the norm, and that mindset is basically just going to send THE HOBBY in the direction of game-used memorabilia baseball cards.

Preach, brother, preach. The bolded is probably for the greater good, though.

You think that if a large majority of this community were to abstain from purchasing this record, it would send a clear message to SRC and result in a more fair price?

Seems like we're in a unique position of being members of an SRC-owned message board, therefore in turn that company's prime consumer pool for this new SRC Blink-182 release. We could actually make a difference here if most everyone coud get on the same page in terms of not buying this.

You think that if a large majority of this community were to abstain from purchasing this record, it would send a clear message to SRC and result in a more fair price?

Seems like we're in a unique position of being members of an SRC-owned message board, therefore in turn that company's prime consumer pool for this new SRC Blink-182 release. We could actually make a difference here if most everyone coud get on the same page in terms of not buying this.

I would think if the all active members on here all decided not to buy it, yes, it would send a message. But that's completely unrealistic. Nobody is going to abstain from buying this if they are a big Blink fan and want everythnig they put out. And the other big chunk of this board will buy a copy and hope they'll be able to flip it later.. no message sent there.

Realistically: This thread will continue to blow up, tons of members will complain about the price, but 99% of those same members that are complaining have either already emailed for their $5 off or will pick it up once it's live. It's Blink 182, it's overpriced, it's a triple gatefold, it's got some slits or something to fit the 7"'s in, it's nostalgic... it's a collectors wet dream.

Vinyl thrives because the current wave of independent artists care about the format and because there is money to be made by pressing their albums. This release isn't going to change that. I'm not thrilled about the price, but this is Blink 182, not SR-71. You can't pay $15 to get tickets to see U2. They're going to charge big league money because this is a "big league" band. I'll change my opinion when the new Wonder Years album on a single LP retails for $35.

Dear Team VC,

Please buy this record. Buy all the copies. All of them.

Sit on them for a month and wait for all these ebay asshats to start salivating and then sell them. All of them.  

Now we take that profit and we start our own pressing co. "RJ will be raped by ass demons records" or what-have-you. (Yes shaq will be in the logo!) 

We could seriously fund like seven pressings and sell them cheaper. 

Sincerely,

Noalarmplanet 

*Dictated but not read.

Dear Team VC,

Please buy this record. Buy all the copies. All of them.

Sit on them for a month and wait for all these ebay asshats to start salivating and then sell them. All of them.  

Now we take that profit and we start our own pressing co. "RJ will be raped by ass demons records" or what-have-you. (Yes shaq will be in the logo!) 

We could seriously fund like seven pressings and sell them cheaper. 

Sincerely,

Noalarmplanet 

*Dictated but not read.

OH MY GOD THE LIKE BUTTON IS BACK. RIGHT?

Vinyl thrives because the current wave of independent artists care about the format and because there is money to be made by pressing their albums. This release isn't going to change that. I'm not thrilled about the price, but this is Blink 182, not SR-71. You can't pay $15 to get tickets to see U2. They're going to charge big league money because this is a "big league" band. I'll change my opinion when the new Wonder Years album on a single LP retails for $35.

I think its fair to assume that the higher U2 ticket prices are due to the higher cost to pay the artist. 

Fairly sure the licensing fees aren't the only thing driving this price up. After all it's licensed from the same company that RJ did with a lower retail price. If this is restructured because RJ didn't analyze his costs properly, then the wrong print companies are being used. I know for a fact UMG has a contract with MPS for print, and their prices are moronically high, and as a licensee you can supply print for reissues, just not the records.

The "fancy" packaging is a trifold with slits in it. It is not that innovative or difficult to produce, and at 2500 units it is not a huge hit to the cost per unit. 

LIKE LIKE LIKE!

no single LP should ever retail more than $20. with double LPs i basically draw the line at $25.

but because there's a fancy jacket, it makes that one record double in value?

you guys seriously need to get real trying to justify this. saying that it's the norm is exactly why people are bitching. this has absolutely no business being the norm, and that mindset is basically just going to send THE HOBBY in the direction of game-used memorabilia baseball cards.  

Agreed.  20$ is about the max I'll pay for a 1xLP, and that is if it's 180 g or some awesome color or awesome packaging or something.

I agree to all of this but if you expect to get an album that had to be licensed out on 180 gram for under $20, you cwazyyyy. Again, I think that the price is not an enjoyable one but people act like they're over-charging by 20+ dollars. Stop crying.

Lastly, I saw someone post saying they wished it wasn't 180 gram and just a regular LP. Perfect example of people just FINDING things to complain about. With that comment/complaint about it being 180 gram, I'm bowing out. There is no use even talking in a thread full of bonehead nitpickers like that.

To those that think the packaging is why the price is so high.... did you know Explosions in the Sky's new record is a QUADRUPLE GATEFOLD that folds out into a house, comes with a poster, is a double LP (colored, too), AND costs $25?

Ry Bread is a step ahead of me

Uhmmm I didn't see you beat me to this. Carry on.

yeah but good music is always cheaper.

http://shop.temporaryresidence.com/trr199

It used to be priced a bit higher if I'm not mistaken. I bought it at amoeba last year for $25 and remember thinking how crazy it was that it was marked down so much.

But while I agree with all of you guys, these aren't great comparisons because they are independent new releases. The major label licensing variable is noteworthy, just maybe not $50 noteworthy. 

Better comparison would be any of the other Geffen/MCA stuff that Hot Topic released for $21.99. You do the math though. 

It used to be priced a bit higher if I'm not mistaken. I bought it at amoeba last year for $25 and remember thinking how crazy it was that it was marked down so much.

But while I agree with all of you guys, these aren't great comparisons because they are independent new releases. The major label licensing variable is noteworthy, just maybe not $50 noteworthy. 

Better comparison would be any of the other Geffen/MCA stuff that Hot Topic released for $21.99. You do the math though. 

Shhh we're trying to convince people not to buy overpriced major label stuff...

I would think if the all active members on here all decided not to buy it, yes, it would send a message. But that's completely unrealistic. Nobody is going to abstain from buying this if they are a big Blink fan and want everythnig they put out. And the other big chunk of this board will buy a copy and hope they'll be able to flip it later.. no message sent there.

Realistically: This thread will continue to blow up, tons of members will complain about the price, but 99% of those same members that are complaining have either already emailed for their $5 off or will pick it up once it's live. It's Blink 182, it's overpriced, it's a triple gatefold, it's got some slits or something to fit the 7"'s in, it's nostalgic... it's a collectors wet dream.

You're right, I'm sure a lot of people are complaining but still planning to order. I just feel like the VC community has a real opportunity to produce change here. What percentage of SRC customers comprise this board? I'd guess it's a fairly high number. Of course not everyone here will boycott, but if enough people did it would certainly get the attention of SRC.

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Yellowcard-%252d-One-For-The-Kids-LP.html

Similar jacket + 7 inch released by SRC. Technically a small independent label (Lobster), but less were pressed. Costs less than half the price. So 2 extra 7" + major label licensing (+ foreword from Hoppus!) for $28.

I think I'm just still bitter ha ha.