Autographed records?

Please tell

Please tell

I saw Mister Heavenly play on their first tour when they stopped in Salt Lake City. To give a little background, they played at a venue called Kilby Court. Kilby is a staple in the SLC music scene. It's a little courtyard with a garage with a small stage tucked back into a small neighborhood. It's a bit of a hole in the wall but I love it. Pretty much every touring band has played at Kilby on their way through SLC. The maximum occupancy is 200 and it's super crowded when a show sells out. Google Image search "Kilby Court and you'll see what I'm talking about

Anyways. It was a sold out show and the place was PACKED. All throughout the show Michael Cera looked pretty uncomfortable being on stage in front of a crowd that was so close. After the show was over and everyone was filing out my friends and I hung around the courtyard for a few minutes talking. As we were leaving we saw Michael Cera standing outside the venue. My friend went up to him and asked if he would sign her ticket. He said sure and signed it and was super nice about it. I asked him if he'd also sign mine. He was super awkward about it and said "ummmmmm. uhhhhh, I think I have to go." and speed-walked the heck outta there. 

So, that's my awkward Michael Cera story.

I've got Aesop rocks float signed from the show he did in Iowa city last year, also have masked intruder s/t fat exclusive autographed from their show in moline. Lastly death from above 1979 heads up on clear signed and dfa1979s you're a woman I'm a machine on white also signed. Also met and got my LP signed by deadmau5 at lolla in 2011. I love autographed records

Everything I have that's signed STAYS within my collection.

But then again... almost every record I buy is with the intention of keeping it in the collection...

I guess if you're simply looking for value here... Popsike maybe?

As for authenticity, that's where it gets tricky. As a buyer, I just don't purchase them... a signed record symbolizes some kind of moment and that doesn't turnover with a simple monetary transaction...

I was actually pissed when I received a harder to find David Bazan record to see it was signed AND personalized to the seller... :mellow:

Everything I have that's signed STAYS within my collection.

But then again... almost every record I buy is with the intention of keeping it in the collection...

I guess if you're simply looking for value here... Popsike maybe?

As for authenticity, that's where it gets tricky. As a buyer, I just don't purchase them... a signed record symbolizes some kind of moment and that doesn't turnover with a simple monetary transaction...

I was actually pissed when I received a harder to find David Bazan record to see it was signed AND personalized to the seller... :mellow:

This is what happened with my under the radar. Was rather annoyed

My signed record wall. (Toe isn't signed, I just really like it and have 2 copies.

cJv0m63l.jpg

I'm trying to find more double frames because Michael's stopped selling them.

Need to find frames for

Defeater - Empty Days & Sleepless Nights

Octaves - Greener Pastures

Really bummed to see one of my white whale records hanging on a wall. Fuck that. Give me Everything in Transit.

I dont think a signed record is worth anything unless its a group that you love and are there when it's signed. That way the moment you got to be there talking to the band/person in the band is relived every time you see those (usually unreadable scribble like) signatures.

Anyways, i only have two signed records, and both i got recently at warped tour in detroit.

August Burns Red - Leveler - green splatter variant signed by the entire band, talked to Jake for like 10 minutes about sleddin hill.

Reel Big Fish - Candy Coated Fury - Black standard edition, Awesome guys, really cool and still keep the same style off stage.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy anything signed if it wasn't sold through the band's site as part of a special release!

There's one exception though: I bought Pat Metheny's "Offramp" in a store in Toronto and found out at the cash point that it was signed by PM himself! Nevertheless, would have bought it anyways! :)

Other than that, I love to get some stuff signed if there's a chance that the band comes out for a talk after the gig!

Was able to snag some autographs (mostly on CDs) after gigs from bands/artists like Peter Gabriel, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Steven Wilson, Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, Opeth, Karnivool, Oceansize, If these Trees could talk, Amplifier, Immanu El, Pain of Salvation, Spock's Beard, etc...

I used to have bands sign records I picked up at their show or brought from home. The only ones I can recall that I still have are Mates of State's "Bring It Back" and Mute Math's self-titled.

Boy, you've got to be kiddin' me!

I'll pay shipping, one week hospitality in Germany + both my kidneys for that MuteMath!!!! 

I have a few signed records. Most of them were signed at the gig I was at, incl.

Rosetta, Cult Of Luna, Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, Kayo Dot

I bought a few signed ones, since I love thoes bands/albums, and never got a chance to let things sign.

from ebay: Isis - Oceanic, signed by all members

from a store: Can - Opener signed by all members

from the Band: Hepa/Titus

I don't think they are worth more because of a signing. For me its just a nice personal touch to remember the gig, or to 'express' my love for a band.

I have a few items signed by Feeder, just weeks before Jon killed himself. 

Swim EP 12", Polythene LP (original issue), Yesterday Went Too Soon LP plus a few early singles.

Faith No More Ricochet, Japanese 5" CD.

A bunch of Faith No More tickets and posters

Anthrax Black Lodge 10" single full signed on their Sound Of White Noise tour.Of God signed after a show. In fact Ben sold me the record.

Can;t think of much else.

Just a few that are spesh, one personalized, one just siggies, comparatively small fish in the ocean of music, but I love them.

The bands that have become friends, corresponding on a more than superficial level, just doesn't feel right asking for "autographs". Never much of an autograph person I guess, but it's ok. Like it was fun to see what yer friends write in the school yearbook.

Don't think I would pay a premium though, at least not much of one.