Writing off bands with stupid names

You can pretty much argue any band name sucks, but there's definitely different levels of suck. Basically anything without spaces is probably shit.

I refuse to listen to "I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business" because that's a shitty name. I feel like way too many bands with names like that are living so seriously short-term that they're naming themselves on a fad or a trend of ridiculousness. If The Beatles were exactly the same but had some stupid name, what would you think of them? In 35 years could you see yourself in a serious conversation about the longevity and musical impact of a band with a name like Dance.Gavin.Dance?

You can pretty much argue any band name sucks, but there's definitely different levels of suck. Basically anything without spaces is probably shit.

I refuse to listen to "I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business" because that's a shitty name. I feel like way too many bands with names like that are living so seriously short-term that they're naming themselves on a fad or a trend of ridiculousness. If The Beatles were exactly the same but had some stupid name, what would you think of them? In 35 years could you see yourself in a serious conversation about the longevity and musical impact of a band with a name like Dance.Gavin.Dance?

That's a good way to miss out on cool shit.

That's a good way to miss out on cool shit.

Meh.

zlam dunk

http://www.facebook.com/zlamdunkmusic?sk=app_178091127385

i dig most of their music, but what a dumb and misleading name.

(RIYL: la dispute, mewithoutyou, listener, 'dancier' versions of these bands)

Agreed, the music is promising, but goddamn that name. And their explanation about how they came up with it makes me hate it even more-

How did you come up with your name?

That also hearkens back to that first epic jam session in the dorm room. We were saying, "It's dance-y, it sounds like punk," and as I remember it, our drummer Daniel stood up behind his kit and said, "It sounds like dance punk, it's dunk! We should be "Dunk"!" And then somebody else was like, "We should be "Slam Dunk"!" But then Daniel was like, "No, the letter "S gets way too much attention, we should be "Zlam Dunk"!" And the rest is history, as they say.

They probably should have set down the bong and opened the windows in their dorm room to air it out a bit.

I'm in a punk/folk band called Tyrannosaurus Zebra. After reading some of the names in this thread I'm starting to think we might not have the worst name ever, but it's still pretty bad. It hasn't proved to be a problem so far, but I probably wouldn't listen to a band with our crappy name.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':4xmcor9k]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':4xmcor9k]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza, check em'!

As soon as I saw this thread I was gonna drop Danza in it but guess I got beat to it haha. Shit's hard to top. I guess I'll add to it with Eat A Helicopter, The Great Redneck Hope, Eatmewhileimhot! (bleh), Heavy Heavy Low Low, and honestly I never really got The Number Twelve Looks Like You.

One of our local bands is named Snot Rocket. We also had a band called Don't Feed The Trees (Dave Lombardo of Slayer's son plays keyboard) but they got smart and changed their name finally.

i was friends with a mckinney, tx punk band called Snot Rocket back around 01, they changed their name to Los Mocos about a year later.

• 1 year later...