Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

Hey folks,

I was just thinking about how there are a lot of good people on this board who will be genuinely seeking out albums for their own collections and listening pleasure. And I know that sometimes there are more copies of certain albums in some places more than others. I was trying to find a fair and beneficial way of setting up a system so that VCers can help other VCers out on RSD without having to resort to inflated Discogs or Ebay prices. 

So I decided to have some fun with Google Forms. Right now I've just sort of made a sample template. I would adjust this a little bit based on feedback and perhaps some other factors (input is gladly accepted). 

Basically, there would be two steps: First, a VC member can use the form to input a bit of information (no credit cards necessary...) with their username plus the desired album, and whether it is a regional release (we will likely wait for the official list to actually enter information). 

Then, 48 hours before actual RSD (which is like 25 hours from Australian RSD), a spreadsheet with all of the entries would appear. It looks and feels just like an Excel Spreadsheet, except that anyone with the link (as in it will only be shared with members interested - will have to figure out a good way to share the link) can respond and purchase a copy of a desired item for another member, indicating this on the spreadsheet. Because Google Spreadsheets update in real time, other users could see that a copy has been purchased (and wouldn't accidentally be stuck with a record for someone else).

Here are the links to my samples. Feel free to use the form for fun, but know that this is just a sample. I'd love to hear feedback on how and/or if this might work, and then we can make a real one:

Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pJ5LWonQsPF6JQbCLy71Aq1RBb53PhENNLzE1gFAq9M/viewform?usp=send_form 

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rjKPYLpLny0bEIEPvq5E-0kFLdKYZX6Jeq0wBF9twCE/edit?usp=sharing

(note: you'll find that the content entered via the form is un-editable. This is intentional.)

Thoughts and feedback appreciated. Hopefully we can make this work!

Hey folks,

I was just thinking about how there are a lot of good people on this board who will be genuinely seeking out albums for their own collections and listening pleasure. And I know that sometimes there are more copies of certain albums in some places more than others. I was trying to find a fair and beneficial way of setting up a system so that VCers can help other VCers out on RSD without having to resort to inflated Discogs or Ebay prices.

So I decided to have some fun with Google Forms. Right now I've just sort of made a sample template. I would adjust this a little bit based on feedback and perhaps some other factors (input is gladly accepted).

Basically, there would be two steps: First, a VC member can use the form to input a bit of information (no credit cards necessary...) with their username plus the desired album, and whether it is a regional release (we will likely wait for the official list to actually enter information).

Then, 48 hours before actual RSD (which is like 25 hours from Australian RSD), a spreadsheet with all of the entries would appear. It looks and feels just like an Excel Spreadsheet, except that anyone with the link (as in it will only be shared with members interested - will have to figure out a good way to share the link) can respond and purchase a copy of a desired item for another member, indicating this on the spreadsheet. Because Google Spreadsheets update in real time, other users could see that a copy has been purchased (and wouldn't accidentally be stuck with a record for someone else).

Here are the links to my samples. Feel free to use the form for fun, but know that this is just a sample. I'd love to hear feedback on how and/or if this might work, and then we can make a real one:

Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pJ5LWonQsPF6JQbCLy71Aq1RBb53PhENNLzE1gFAq9M/viewform?usp=send_form

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rjKPYLpLny0bEIEPvq5E-0kFLdKYZX6Jeq0wBF9twCE/edit?usp=sharing

(note: you'll find that the content entered via the form is un-editable. This is intentional.)

I think this is a good idea. Possibly make a separate thread so this doesn't get lost in the comments.

Hey folks,

Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pJ5LWonQsPF6JQbCLy71Aq1RBb53PhENNLzE1gFAq9M/viewform?usp=send_form 

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rjKPYLpLny0bEIEPvq5E-0kFLdKYZX6Jeq0wBF9twCE/edit?usp=sharing

I was thinking about doing something along the lines like this for this year as well. Here's my input and feedback.

I could see this being very messy if there is going to be one list shared between possibly over 100 members, with however many amount of titles from each person. I could see there being well over 1000 entries on that thing. Many people will be out at the same time, so if they see that someone wants something before they go, several people could pick that release up before they update that they have a copy later on, unless more than one person is looking for that title.

Is there a way of doing this, but in separate groups, perhaps on the same spreadsheet? I like the idea of only looking for 5-10 people, rather than everyone at the same time. Maybe each person from their small group can list 3-5 releases that they want most, or think that they cannot get. This way, we keep the list shorter, and more organized, so we know exactly what to look for. After, if there are extras, we can look for people outside of our group who need a copy.

I also think that we would need some type of criteria in order to join. It doesn't have to be much, but I think that something minimal would be good. What do you think?

Hey folks,

Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pJ5LWonQsPF6JQbCLy71Aq1RBb53PhENNLzE1gFAq9M/viewform?usp=send_form

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rjKPYLpLny0bEIEPvq5E-0kFLdKYZX6Jeq0wBF9twCE/edit?usp=sharing

This sounds awesome. I'm down to help any way that I can.

Hey folks,

Count me in on this is if happens. My local shop tends to end up with a lot of leftovers of records that are sought after.