DEFTONES- GORE (OUT NOW)

I think it's pretty strange how this whole thing rolled out.  There was zero awareness of a preorder.  No talk about when you'd be able to buy or what you'd be able to buy.  You'd think with such a large label supporting it, you'd have more information, but I guess not.

And even though white gets hated on, literally all the time, I've yet to have a bad white pressing.  Palms, Crosses, Minus the Bear and British Theatre are some white LPs I own and none of them sound bad.  Granted I haven't A/B'd them with different colors, but I've never thought they sounded worse than any black LP I have.  But maybe other people have had shittier experiences with white?  At any rate, this release has been strange, the pricing blows, and it seems like even with all the hype, people who are most stoked about the release are ending up being the most disappointed upon first glance.  And that sucks.

This is literally how all major label vinyl releases roll out. Little labels talk about pressing info and colorways and prep their customers for pre-orders. Major labels shit out what they want when they want and give no warning about what's coming. They're too big to care about giving the customer sufficient information ahead of time. They've got too much other shit to worry about.

I dislike white vinyl because its the exact opposite of black and black is literally the perfect color in my opinion. I want all my records to be black. Its mostly a visual aesthetic preference. I admit that.

I dislike white vinyl because its the exact opposite of black and black is literally the perfect color in my opinion. I want all my records to be black. Its mostly a visual aesthetic preference. I admit that.

Personal aesthetics I can understand - I've chosen less limited variants even though the super limited pressing was still available, because I preferred the color of the other one.

I have a bunch of white vinyl. There's not a single one of them in my collection that sounds bad, certainly not as bad as I'd be led to believe from posts here.

I mean they teased shit for over a week... I guess they should be more blunt and say "preorders for these packages at these prices start this day at this time"?

Yes, they should be more blunt.  With the vinyl culture today, pressings selling out in an hour only to show up on eBay for exorbitant amounts of money, they should at least give a heads up on when product is going up for preorder.

I've personally decided to hold off on ordering the black. As much as I'm not a fan of the white (only for this release, I also own a handful of white records that all sound fine to me) I'm voting with my wallet and refusing to pay £30 for an album. We all moan about pricing and then give in anyway, and I just feel that if more people took the decision to not be ripped off then we would have better prices.

I'll wait and see what Amazon UK gets, and probably just order from them regardless of colour. Unfortunately they have nothing up yet though.

Yes, they should be more blunt. With the vinyl culture today, pressings selling out in an hour only to show up on eBay for exorbitant amounts of money, they should at least give a heads up on when product is going up for preorder.

Ok, but did 3,500 copies sell out over night? Was there a chance of that happening (especially at those prices)? Not really. Nothing to be upset about here other than the price of the vinyl and the shipping fees.

Personal aesthetics I can understand - I've chosen less limited variants even though the super limited pressing was still available, because I preferred the color of the other one.

I have a bunch of white vinyl. There's not a single one of them in my collection that sounds bad, certainly not as bad as I'd be led to believe from posts here.

One thing that still confounds me is when people buy the rarest variant just because its the rarest variant. Not because they like that color. Not because there is something inherently superior about any aspect of the record itself either universally or to their preferences. Just because its the variant least available. I can't take it when people talk about how a record was the rarest until the label decided to press just as many as the next rarest variant and how they wasted their money because its not the rarest one anymore. Trying to fathom that proclivity drives me bat shit but I guess we all have our weird preferences when it comes to our records.

One thing that still confounds me is when people buy the rarest variant just because its the rarest variant. Not because they like that color. Not because there is something inherently superior about any aspect of the record itself either universally or to their preferences. Just because its the variant least available. I can't take it when people talk about how a record was the rarest until the label decided to press just as many as the next rarest variant and how they wasted their money because its not the rarest one anymore. Trying to fathom that proclivity drives me bat shit but I guess we all have our weird preferences when it comes to our records.

The social psychology principle of scarcity speaks to this, basically. Whatever is least available is more attractive to people, but particularly those who don't think very critically and are easily influenced.

I think a lot of people prefer the most limited variant since it'll be the easiest to sell if you don't like or get tired of the album. Some collector who missed out will likely pay at least retail price (more in most cases) for the most limited variant while you'll likely lose money trying to sell the standard edition.

I think all of the "Gore" merch is crap, but for some reason I am really digging the simplistic white hoodie with just "Deftones" on it and the roses on the back.  Not enough to drop $60 at the moment, but I like it for some reason.

And the serigraph still sucks, but it's leaps and bounds better than most of the $50 ones there were selling.

I really wish the "Gore" logo wasn't that crappy serif font.  I hate it.  I hate it so much.

Maybe Deftones' angle here is "trash merch/logo/prices", but the music is going to be our best ever.