DEFTONES- GORE (OUT NOW)

Stef was right in expressing his disapproval. This'll be the first Deftones album I don't purchase. It's awful. I'm bummed that my favorite band of the past 16 years has just put out a completely forgettable album. The title track gave me second hand embarrassment with that ending. And the closer, Christ... What're you guys hearing in this?

Stef was right in expressing his disapproval. This'll be the first Deftones album I don't purchase. It's awful. I'm bummed that my favorite band of the past 16 years has just put out a completely forgettable album. The title track gave me second hand embarrassment with that ending. And the closer, Christ... What're you guys hearing in this?

Personally I hear WP/SNW and DE combined with 80s influenced guitar/synth. And the lyric matter is haunting. Because I think a lot of it sounds like Chino is talking about Chi. You can't tell me that intro to Hearts/Wires isn't amazing and atmospheric coming from Deftones.

My opinion is there are some great songs like PB and some really really bad ones like P/T (fight me on it) but overall as an album it is not the next logical progression to KNY in my opinion. I think Chino cutting the 5 extra tracks they recorded for Gore may have made a big difference.

The album I envisioned in my head sounded more exotic and aggressive like those clips Chuck Doom had been posting. But hopefully they'll push out another record and not drag us on for 4 years.

This'll be the first Deftones album I don't purchase. It's awful.

You've already determined it's awful? After listening to a shitty, subpar rip on and off for no more than 48 hours? I'd maybe wait to spend some time with the record once it actually comes out over "wow this record blows because I wanted something heavier". Or not; you're allowed to have whatever opinion you fancy, but I feel like that's a pretty bold claim to jump to without even hearing a proper copy all the way through.

This sort of knee-jerk reviews always get me excited.  I know an album or movie is going to be good when the fanboys get all butthurt over it, hahaha.

This sort of knee-jerk reviews always get me excited. I know an album or movie is going to be good when the fanboys get all butthurt over it, hahaha.

Polarization can be fun. But between those kind of "reviews" and equally jerky Foo Fighter assumptions based off one single, part of me wishes some folks would cool their jets or just stick to talking vinyl in the thread.

Absolutely yes. If rushed choruses and layered vocals arent your thing then the rest of album has plenty in store for that you should really love.

I enjoy about every aspect of their sound safe for the chugga chugga of their first two albums. With the very good impression Prayers left after one listen the day it went up (still cannot get the chorus out of my head) and its predecessor standing strong above their discography for me, I really don't see Gore falling short.

If anyone wants the uncompressed studio versions of Gore.

qobuz has 24bit 96kHz version up for preorder.

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/gore-deftones/0093624926467

The studio masters for KNY made a world of difference for me personally.

I've never understood the difference with sound. Is what you're referring to higher sound quality like lossless and FLAC, or is it something different entirely?

I've never understood the difference with sound. Is what you're referring to higher sound quality like lossless and FLAC, or is it something different entirely?

It is at the least the former, and sometimes the latter.

Some music actually gets mastered specifically for for iTunes/mp3/earbuds since that is how the majority listen.  In theory, these super-high quality, uncompressed (less compressed) releases represent the music prior to any such mastering.

It is at the least the former, and sometimes the latter.

Some music actually gets mastered specifically for for iTunes/mp3/earbuds since that is how the majority listen. In theory, these super-high quality, uncompressed releases represent the music prior to any such mastering.

To clarify, high resolution digital files are certainly still compressed. Sometimes, and ideally, they receive a different mastering treatment that utilizes less compression and limiting, resulting in a more dynamic final product. In terms of file size and bit reduction, they are less 'compressed' in that way. The other benefit is usually an extended frequency response.

The 24/96 HDtracks version of Koi No Yokan is definitely more dynamic and sounds better than the standard release. And I'm assuming that is what was used for the vinyl pressing.