When do you add your LPs to your inventory?

I added my collection onto to Discogs a few years ago when it was around the 6000 Album mark, I did it as a means of valuing them for my house insurance and it took fookin ages, ended up with me adding quite a few into the Discogs database and scared the living shit out of me when I found out the value.

I'm now up to nearer 8000 and I add them as they come in.

The plus points of doing this are when I'm out I can stop myself from buying doubles because I have the app on my phone which I used yesterday flicking through the boxes in a record shop, can export a spreadsheet out of Discogs and most importantly if the house burnt down I'd have a very comprehensive list to give to the insurance man that wasn't stored in the house that burned down.

How very grown up of me, I need to go and do something juvenile now to redress order in the universe.

You've got your shit together.

when i order something online, i put it in my "incoming" part of my tradelist on google docs. once i receive shipping confirmation, i highlight it in the doc so i know at a glance what's in transit (i use MyUSPS to track all my orders). once i receive the order in the mail, i test out the record on my tt to make sure its not warped and that it sounds good (i once got a record from rfc that sounded completely like white noise it was awful, so i always check that now). if its not warped and sounds good, i'll sleeve it and then move it from my "incoming" list to the respective section of my tradelist.

i also keep my collection up to date on discogs so its easier to sell and have an idea how much my collection is worth for insurance purposes. i'll add a release to my collection after updating my google doc tradelist. if the listing isnt on discogs yet, i'll wait for someone to add it and just keep a note to myself that i need to add it.

I haven't researched much about this, but is there an easy phone app that allows you to scan barcodes/select records easily? From what I remember, Discogs was creating an app.

As for me, my collection was small enough to add into Discogs and then for each new LP, I add it in once I receive it in hand.

An app would be genius - some way to scan the barcode? Although would different pressings have the same UPC? I have a mission holes in adding albums to my discogs list because if I'm not sitting right next to them with a laptop where I can compare Matrix numbers I just wait. Plus I'm usually listening to it at the time so.....it's a mess.

At least when I buy stuff from there I just hit 'add to my inventory' that's nice.

Too many pressings of those classic records I picked up at thrift stores over the years - who knows which pressing this is.

The problem though is a lot of the time if it's a pre-order, it isn't in Discogs yet.

The reason for this is because if you read the Discogs submission guidelines there very first thing it says is, "You must have the exact release in your possession when you make a release submission." Some people break the rules and some people follow it.

An app would be genius - some way to scan the barcode? Although would different pressings have the same UPC? 

Yes, there are 3rd party apps to use with discogs that have barcode scanning. Yes, many different pressings of an album will have the same UPC.

In Notes - on my iPhone - I keep a list of albums I want, a list of preorders (with dates of expected release), and a list of albums I've received/bought but not taken the time to enter into database ( I use RecordNerd.com). Usually enter them when there's 10+ on the list and I'm having a listening sess.

I don't add to Discogs until it's in my hands. Also, is there any benifits to Deadformat? I've never even heard of it until I joined VC, and going through what I've seen on here, it just looks like people manually putting in all their releases.

I think it's for people who just don't want to deal with discogs. More of a personal list.

Some people are against Discogs because it turns a profit or something of the sort. 

In Notes - on my iPhone - I keep a list of albums I want, a list of preorders (with dates of expected release), and a list of albums I've received/bought but not taken the time to enter into database ( I use RecordNerd.com). Usually enter them when there's 10+ on the list and I'm having a listening sess.

All of these things are true for me too! (Including recordnerd, which I was sure no one else used any more!)

Nice! We're genius...RecordNerd interface is just so simple and clear. Though I'm always afraid it's going to just disappear when I check it sometime.

ps. I'm http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/jonnyhambone

Haha, same as far as the worry that it'll just disappear.

My link is in my signature :)

Edit: ha! Our lists are super complementary. You have a bunch of albums I haven't picked up yet to finish off discographies.

I've found that just adding them to the Incoming section of my DF list as I order them works best for me. I try to keep up with it as much as I can, but every now and then I'll come across a record I haven't yet added.

Recently tried switching everything over to Discogs, including keeping track of incoming records/preorders, but Discogs is just too busy for me. I mainly just use it to find information on stuff.  Cataloging just works better for me on DF.

I just add things to Discogs after they arrive at my house. I have an area of my shelf where I keep new acquisitions that I haven't logged yet, which serves both as a reminder to listen to them and to update Discogs. I tend to log them all in to Discogs once a month or two when I run out of space in that section, then I file them where they should go in the full collection.

I just add things to Discogs after they arrive at my house. I have an area of my shelf where I keep new acquisitions that I haven't logged yet, which serves both as a reminder to listen to them and to update Discogs. I tend to log them all in to Discogs once a month or two when I run out of space in that section, then I file them where they should go in the full collection.

That's exactly much how I do it. 

I like how some of you mentioned keeping track of new/pre orders in a spreadsheet or on DF. I really need to do this since I'm always forgetting if I ordered something and getting records in the mail I don't remember ordering. I'm constantly searching through my email to check on things.