When do you add your LPs to your inventory?

Just a curious question. I don't add anything to my Discogs inventory until the LP has been properly washed and is ready to put on the corresponding spot on the shelf.

I usually wait until I have 5+ to clean before bothering though. Until then, they sit in the "Just In" area.

I'm just wondering others little rituals. I've noticed some people list things in their Deadformat list, and the LP isn't even coming out for another 2 months (preorder).

1 section for pre-orders, 1 for records en route, and then the collection. It's a labor of love but it's really nice to glance and see exactly what you should be expecting, and what you've been waiting on for months. I won't add anything to the collection / list until it's physically in hand, personally.

I keep an incoming list on my Deadformat, but don't add a title to my Discogs collection until it's spinning on my turntable. I kind of enjoy adding a tiny element of ritual to keeping my catalog updated.

Definitely back the "incoming" list though...makes it easy to keep track of what I've purchased but haven't received yet for whatever reason.

1 section for pre-orders, 1 for records en route, and then the collection. It's a labor of love but it's really nice to glance and see exactly what you should be expecting, and what you've been waiting on for months.

I should do this because I buy that many I can't always remember what's coming in

I don't do incoming, I just add it right when I get it.

But I just do this which sometimes is a nice surprise when I forget what I've pre ordered

I haven't researched much about this, but is there an easy phone app that allows you to scan barcodes/select records easily? From what I remember, Discogs was creating an app.

As for me, my collection was small enough to add into Discogs and then for each new LP, I add it in once I receive it in hand.

I just add them to my list when i get them. 

I do keep them segregated when they come in though, I kinda have to as my listening area and record storing area are in two different rooms. I have a "needs to be washed" section (where everything goes first), and a "to be played" section (which also doubles as a "current rotation" section). Those sections can get a little overwhelming sometimes. Currently there are about 50 albums in the "to be played" section.

After that I move them to the shelves...usually on the weekends.

I added my collection onto to Discogs a few years ago when it was around the 6000 Album mark, I did it as a means of valuing them for my house insurance and it took fookin ages, ended up with me adding quite a few into the Discogs database and scared the living shit out of me when I found out the value.

I'm now up to nearer 8000 and I add them as they come in.

The plus points of doing this are when I'm out I can stop myself from buying doubles because I have the app on my phone which I used yesterday flicking through the boxes in a record shop, can export a spreadsheet out of Discogs and most importantly if the house burnt down I'd have a very comprehensive list to give to the insurance man that wasn't stored in the house that burned down.

How very grown up of me, I need to go and do something juvenile now to redress order in the universe.

I added my collection onto to Discogs a few years ago when it was around the 6000 Album mark, I did it as a means of valuing them for my house insurance and it took fookin ages, ended up with me adding quite a few into the Discogs database and scared the living shit out of me when I found out the value.

I'm now up to nearer 8000 and I add them as they come in.

The plus points of doing this are when I'm out I can stop myself from buying doubles because I have the app on my phone which I used yesterday flicking through the boxes in a record shop, can export a spreadsheet out of Discogs and most importantly if the house burnt down I'd have a very comprehensive list to give to the insurance man that wasn't stored in the house that burned down.

How very grown up of me, I need to go and do something juvenile now to redress order in the universe.

This makes a lot of sense to me.  I need to do it

I didn't really bother updating my tradelist until I got renter's insurance. My agent told me that having a detailed list of the more valuable items in my apartment would be helpful, and...well hey presto, it turns out that my record collection is among the more valuable things I own.

Guest Secular Haze

1 section for pre-orders, 1 for records en route, and then the collection. It's a labor of love but it's really nice to glance and see exactly what you should be expecting, and what you've been waiting on for months. I won't add anything to the collection / list until it's physically in hand, personally.

This.

I will also add a "Date Ordered" and "Date Received" column. It's fun to see how long it took to actually receive a preordered item. I'm looking at you, New Bermuda.