I Am Tired of Repressed Records In The Same Year! Especially For RSD!

I feel the exact opposite. Releasing RSD exclusives followed by a larger, non-exclusive repress is probably the best way to go.

Those that nerd out on getting the colored, hand stamped, whatever versions get something to hunt. People who think that shit is stupid and just want the LP get what they want as well. One doesn't "devalue" the other since they aren't the same thing.

Can't say I understand the premise in this case.

This isn't any type of conspiracy by the RSD folks.  They've been very transparent about this for years.  You can even see the list of items labeled "RSD first" from last year here:  http://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/10#'RSD First' Release.   These are items that are given a 2 month window to be sold exclusively at Indie Stores before becoming widely available.  For instance, if you click on the first Aerosmith release, in the description it states this: 

"The RSD version of this record is numbered. This release is exclusive to RSD stores until 6/3

So when you see any items on this list, then you have 2 options:

a) Buy the RSD version, which will usually only have a stamped number on it or have a limited first pressing for RSD.

B) Wait until the album comes widely available (and usually cheaper)

I would understand your frustration better if the RSD folks were trying to hide the fact that these releases were timed releases.  But they aren't and all information is clear for everyone to see.  I know some stores that hold back and barely order the timed releases, because they don't think it's fair to markup the item for RSD and then have a cheaper (usually) version come out just weeks later, with virtually no difference.

So...here is the deal.  I'm tired of repressed records...in particular within the same year!  Yeah, older stuff that hasn't been pressed in a years, decades even is OK (and sometimes f'n awesome), but I'm super tired of going to RSD to buy exclusive releases and finding out they repressed it a few months later.  Don't give me the "Why should I buy more on Ebay for limited quantities argument either" or "supply and demand", because that does not fly with me. 

For RSD 2013, we have alrady seen repressed recoreds by The White Stripes Elephant...IE see Mad Season's Above.  Both were limited, but a few months later are massive releases. 

I mean, I get that they change it from Numbered and Colored to Not Numbered and Black, but I'm tired of seeing bands offer something exclusive and then later offering the same thing in a different varation only a few short months later.  It's not like I'm against bands making money, but I'm against disclosing it's limited because it's stamped and then pressing twice the amount a few months later. It's like having a funeral for someone and the day after everyone wants a piece of the inheritance!

It devalues the entire point of collecting.  I am guessing that even if you repress 5000 black records after you sell 5000 stamped records, the cash you are making isn't going to put you into retirement, so why risk your fan base if you pull that garbage?

Anyone feel the same way?  Can you think of another band that you felt duped by for shelling out coin for RSD only to be pissed off a few months later? My thought is that RSD should have a contract with the bands that they can't repress the vinyl for a certain amount of months / years after they contribute to RSD.  After all, it's a massive success and probably wouldn't disaude bands and labels from the concept of supporting RSD!

In full disclosure, I love buying vinyl and I support bands, but I don't like buying something that is advertised as limited and then be jacked a few months later.

Off my soap box...talk amongst yourselves!

ALPD4Tv.png

Record labels are in the business of manufacturing and selling records. HOW DARE THEY keep them in print and selling them, allowing them to make more records and (hopefully) pay a royalty to the artists. 

This thread is one of the most ridiculous I've read in awhile. If you are buying records for any other reason other than your love of music then you are a fucking moron. The entire purpose of records (at least ones not filled with water or jack white's pubes in some stupid gimmick) is to PLAY THEM TO HEAR THE MUSIC. If you want to collect things solely as an investment then buy stocks.

It devalues the entire point of collecting.  I am guessing that even if you repress 5000 black records after you sell 5000 stamped records, the cash you are making isn't going to put you into retirement, so why risk your fan base if you pull that garbage?

it devalues the point of collecting? how? the only thing it devalues is your ebay listing. no band is risking their fan base by pressing more copies of their albums, especially when people want them. get serious man. 

I opened this thread. I read it all the way through. I have no one to blame but myself.

You collect variants. You buy the RSD version then the one a few months later. You have no one to blame but yourself. 

I like stuff being in print and in ample supply. You and I can now have a pity party about our mutually wasted time.