• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have like 10 albums, and 200 records.

Finally have a camera that will at least take a viewable photo, so I thought I would share some pics. Speaker placement is not ideal, but it is a work in progress.    

This topic is giving me such a woody.   I collected fiercely in the 1990s, in retrospect the best time possible since everybody was dumping LPs. I'd spend $100 or $200 at Jerry's in Pittsbur

You're about to make a lot of Blink fans on here jealous with that box! Not a big fan of them personally but that's a pretty cool box.

How easy is it to make? You should consider doing custom boxes for people. Think they'd snap them up. Make a Brand New box and you'll be rolling in money!

Definitely looking into it. They are highly customizable because you can etch anything. The acrylic is really expensive though. I'm researching cheaper materials.

Playback set up along with two baskets of 7" records on the bottom shelf. The basket on the right is entirely Less Than Jake, while the basket on the left is everything else. Plus a few more resin figures from Paper + Plastick.

IMG_6642_zpsp00ibqvy.jpg

I love that stereo cabinet, where did you get that? I've been looking for something similar.

Definitely looking into it. They are highly customizable because you can etch anything. The acrylic is really expensive though. I'm researching cheaper materials.

You could just do them out of plywood. It'd be so much cheaper. Only problem is, it wouldn't be transparent. Do you have a laser machine for the etching? 

Here's one I made for a recent project (had to make a game based on an architect): http://imgur.com/IdQo3mk

I love that stereo cabinet, where did you get that? I've been looking for something similar.

I picked it up at Best Buy, here's a link to the actual unit. Pretty sure I bought it on sale, bc I remember spending about $100 for it. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/whalen-furniture-audio-tower-cherry/9886557.p?id=1218194306982&skuId=9886557

You could just do them out of plywood. It'd be so much cheaper. Only problem is, it wouldn't be transparent. Do you have a laser machine for the etching? 

Here's one I made for a recent project (had to make a game based on an architect): http://imgur.com/IdQo3mk

This is dope!! Tadao Ando?

I may look into making one of those boxes for myself (for another artist tho) as I have access to my schools laser cutters being in the architecture department myself.

Definitely could do a cheaper material but the acrylic looks amazing for the transparency and etching. I use my work's laser cutter.

You sure have balls of steel to post a picture of your Crosley in here ;)

It's not much, but it gets the job done! I honestly don't spin my records too often, so potential damage done by the Crosley is kept very minimal. I'm trying to save up money for a Pro-Ject Carbon, Audio Engine A5+'s, etc... but it's hard when the most you can make at your job is $200/week and you're constantly buying albums lol

EDIT: That last part was an exaggeration. Didn't think I'd have to defend myself here.

It's not much, but it gets the job done! I honestly don't spin my records too often, so potential damage done by the Crosley is kept very minimal. I'm trying to save up money for a Pro-Ject Carbon, Audio Engine A5+'s, etc... but it's hard when the most you can make at your job is $200/week and you're constantly buying albums lol

I guess most of us have been there, so more power to you! I think it's big part of the fun to step up your game every once in a while and delve into the fathomless abyss of hi-fi and audio. 

Yet one more person to make note of to not by records from in the future.

Who said I planned on selling you my records though? No need for elitism.

I mean, maybe buy fewer records for a while and save up for a real deck?

I'm trying... it's hard, I'm doing better lately though! I have the setup I want put together as a bundle on Turntable Lab, just to get a general price, and it comes to about $1200 before shipping. I figure I can save a few hundred if I'm able to find parts used but in acceptable condition.

I guess most of us have been there, so more power to you! I think it's big part of the fun to step up your game every once in a while and delve into the fathomless abyss of hi-fi and audio. 

I know my Crosley isn't optimal, but it'll do until I can afford something better. I'm excited to finally upgrade though! The Pro-Ject Carbon definitely sounds like a great choice, I've heard it's the best audiophile quality turntable you'll get for under $1k. Any suggestions as far as amp/pre-amps go? I admit I don't really know much about them yet.

Also, downvoting me because you don't like my record player? You're all a bunch of children lol

Who said I planned on selling you my records though? No need for elitism.

Elitism? Hardly.

Just don't want to purchase any LPs that were previously played on a Crosley. Does that make me a bad person?

No one said you were selling any, but in the event I see you have anything for sale, at least I will know enough to pass.

I could definitely help you out with some recommendations on Preamp etc, but why bother if you just keep buying LPs and don't care enough to save and upgrade.

You might want to check out the awesome beginners guide that slinch made in the turntable sub-forum, there is a ton of info and recommendations there.

Much appreciated, thanks!

Elitism? Hardly.

Just don't want to purchase any LPs that were previously played on a Crosley. Does that make me a bad person?

No one said you were selling any, but in the event I see you have anything for sale, at least I will know enough to pass.

I'm not saying you're a bad person, but you buying my records was never a concern and the whole comment was just sort of out of left field. Like I mentioned above, I'm well aware my Crosley isn't optimal and I'm working on upgrading as soon as possible.

LOL at all the -1s from this kid ~ Petulant child of an adult being snarky on the internet because he doesn't approve of someone else's record player

I don't need to justify my equipment to anyone, if I knew sharing my setup here would lead to this I would have just kept it to myself. Also, it's awfully ironic that your post originally ended with "grow up" yet you're going through downvoting my posts, all because you don't approve of my record player, which led me to start downvoting yours in the first place.

Please oh please, I beg you to reconsider purchasing my records when I inevitably put them up for sale because I absolutely need your approval and acceptance. Woof.

I know my Crosley isn't optimal, but it'll do until I can afford something better. I'm excited to finally upgrade though! The Pro-Ject Carbon definitely sounds like a great choice, I've heard it's the best audiophile quality turntable you'll get for under $1k. Any suggestions as far as amp/pre-amps go? I admit I don't really know much about them yet.

You might want to check out the awesome beginners guide that slinch made in the turntable sub-forum, there is a ton of info and recommendations there.

^^^ This.

There's such a vast amount of solid and easily digestible information on the first page, it's pretty much unprecedented. If you opt for a Pro-Ject though, you might want to check out their Phono-Box. It's $100 very well spent.

If you're making $200 a week you should stop buying records and start looking for a new job that pays better, or look into putting the money you make towards educating yourself for a better career path.