2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

Guest deleted

After the email and test pressing sale, my guesses are:

Cave In - Jupiter

Botch - Unifying Themes Redux

Khlyst - Chaos Is My Name

Jupiter will be good since it needs a rerelease, I already have the Euro version of Botch, and Khlyst is just an odd pick. I'm sure prices will be like usual, which by this point so many other labels are charging the same or over what people have complained about what HH has been charging for years. Time to find the other horses to beat.

I'd say you're right on at guessing Khlyst based on the realtomatoketchup description for the test pressing:

"This should've come out officially 8 years ago, but up til now this here test press was the only vinyl version of the album that existed. But not for much longer. Still this TP version will remain the rarest of Khlyst rarities."

So the first five people have the wonka golden ticket?

To a degree yes but you can only buy 5 records then you have to rejoin the queue.

Nothing can ever be fair but it does stop the arguments.

It's a very small town and last year the queue was never more than 20 or 25 people long at any one time which was the first year he used these rules.

The year before that the queue was about 15 people long with the 2nd to the 5th being arseholes with big elbows and no manners.

These people were the very loud ones in the explaining how they were going to buy loads of copies of this and that and sell it on ebay for loads. It's only as small shop with a couple of boxes on the counter for the RSD stuff so as soon as the door opened this group pushed past the first guy and monopolised the boxes until they were done.

The year before that the queue was 3 people long.

This year who knows but I bet he will use the same rules as on the whole it worked very well.

Not everyone wants 5 things most only want 2 or 3 and this year the guy at the front only wanted the Chas and Dave single shaped like a rabbit on his way to work, very British and when he was telling me about it I thought he was pulling my plonker, didn't know it even existed, you live and learn every day.

I went to Underground Sounds in Ann Arbor last year for RSD.  They had a similar approach, other than you were able to purchase one of each item they had available.  

I felt it worked very well.  I plan on heading there again this year.  If this Cake box set is released on RSD, it's probably going to involve me camping out for hours, assuming they get it.

My shop takes a want list from everyone in line around an hour before they open. They then pull the top two things from each person's list and set them aside before they even open the doors. After that it is more of a free-for-all but most people got some stuff they wanted.

I think the first person in line got there at 7:00am, so that ain't too bad. That said, I think I might go to Bull Moose this year. 

I went to Underground Sounds in Ann Arbor last year for RSD.  They had a similar approach, other than you were able to purchase one of each item they had available.  

I felt it worked very well.  I plan on heading there again this year.  If this Cake box set is released on RSD, it's probably going to involve me camping out for hours, assuming they get it.

UGS is the shop that I frequent and the only place where I make my RSD purchases. They have a great preorder system for RSD, and Matt, the owner, is a really great guy. If you're in the Ann Arbor/Michigan area, UGS is the place.

My shop takes a want list from everyone in line around an hour before they open. They then pull the top two things from each person's list and set them aside before they even open the doors. After that it is more of a free-for-all but most people got some stuff they wanted.

I think the first person in line got there at 7:00am, so that ain't too bad. That said, I think I might go to Bull Moose this year. 

I forgot that bit, yes he did that as well to the ease the flow on the people who were there before opening time. The only difference being they fulfil the lists on the 5 item basis until they run out so there is still an incentive to be early in the queue.

That said it was such a diverse crowd I don't think anyone was disappointed.

UGS is the shop that I frequent and the only place where I make my RSD purchases. They have a great preorder system for RSD, and Matt, the owner, is a really great guy. If you're in the Ann Arbor/Michigan area, UGS is the place.

That is great to know.  I have been in a few times and it has always been a great experience.  Thanks for the info!

last year RSD at my local store was shit, i waited in line and met nice people but when we got inside it was hell. i did manage to get a few things i was out for. i was polite and watched someone flip the records in the box, taking stuff he didnt grab then i touched a white stripe record and someone grabbed it from my hand. then it all went to shit with people pushing, shoving, crawling under your arm like ace ventura's birth from a rhino. just awful. i noticed a lot of records being picked up quickly then being put back when people realized they werent "rare" enough. 

2 years ago though i was at coachella during 2nd weekend and it was just lovely. Zia record has this huge tent and they have every record available. i was slow and waited till the sun went down to purchase anything so i missed the heady fwends record (someone bough the last one in from of me) but everything else was still there. doing the same thing this year, i probably wouldn't go otherwise though..

Me and two other guys have been 1st 2nd and 3rd in line in varying orders at the reckless on Broadway since 2010. We get there at 3-4am and hang out, talk about music; talk about our lives and careers. It makes RSD so much fun for us. In regards to my golden ticket comment I wasn't mocking it in the least, I think small stores should do that. That being said, the line at reckless is around the block by 9am and I've been standing for 6 hours. I should be able to get whatever I want, but the thing is I don't hate standing in line in the least.

A little bird told me...

RSD 2014 Releases from Back on Black, Let Them Eat Vinyl & Rock Classics

Alanis Morisette - Live at Montreux 2012

Alice Cooper - Live at Montreux 2005 (white)

Bachman & Turner - Live at Roseland Ballroom, NYC 

Bathory - Bathory (picture disc)

Bathory - The Return of Darkness and Evil (picture disc)

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark (picture disc)

Bathory - Blood Fire Death (picture disc)

Bathory - Hammerheart (picture disc)

Bathory - Twilight of the Gods (picture disc)

the Black Crowes - Warpaint 3LP Box (White)

The Byrds - Straight From the Sun (White)

Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague (Picture Disc)

Cannibal Corpse - Torture (Picture Disc)

Duff McKagen's Loaded - Sick (Purple)

Emperor - IX Equilibrium (Clear 180g)

Fairport Convention - From Cropredy to Portmeirion

Fairport Convention - Moat on the Ledge Live at Broughton Castle

Fairport Convention - XXXV The 35th Anniversary album

Hawkwind - The Church of Hawkwind (Clear 180g)

Insomnium - The Candlelight Years (7LP Boxset)

Jethro Tull - Live in Switzerland 2003 (3LP Boxset)

Motorhead - Motorhead (White 180g)

Motorhead - What's Wordsworth (Red 180g)

Psychic TV - Hacienda (Red)

Psychic TV - Live at the Marquee (Red)

Psychic TV - Thee Fabulous Feat Ov Flowering Light (Red)

Rainbow - Rockplast 1995 - Black Masquerade (3LP Box, Red)

Status Quo - Pictures Live in Switzerland (White)

Testament - Live in London (Red 180g)

UK Subs - Left for Dead (Blue)

Various Artists - Bob Dylan and the Band's Basement Tapes Influences 

http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/

7 RECORDS

• Clutch/Lionize split 7"
  • Crystal Antlers We All Gotta Die b/w remix by The Scientist
  • Die Kreuzen Cows and Beer (7", colored vinyl and remastered with new linear notes and photos, plus the original notes/photos)
  • Garbage 7"
  • Ghosts of Dead Airplanes/Bis split Picture Disc (500 copies)
  • Hard-Ons Girl in the Sweater (hand-numbered on colored vinyl)
  • Papercuts/the Donkey split 7"
  • Public Service Broadcasting Elfstedentocht Parts 1 & 2 (7", UK/EU RSD exclusive)
  • Rodrigo Amarante/EDJ split 7"
  • Section 25 Reflection (Young Image) b/w Change (7", UK/EU RSD Exclusive)
  • Southern Culture On the Skids w/Fred Schnieder Party at My Trouse b/w Hey Mary
  • Tenpole Tudor's Swords of a Thousand Men b/w Love and Food Picture Disc
  • Vetiver/Howling Rain split 7"

10" RECORDS

• Machine Head  Killers & Kings (Demo) b/w Our Darkest Days (Ignite Cover)

12" SINGLES
  • Art of Noise--Live at the End of a Century Picture Disc (3 live tracks at Coachella in 1999)
  • Black Milk Glitches in the Break EP
  • Die Kreuzen Cows and Beer (12", colored vinyl, comes with comic book)
  • Fucked Up Year of the Dragon
  • Howlin' Brothers Sun Studio Sessions EP
  • Jon Spencer Blues Explosion She's On It / Jack the Ripper (Live mashup of Beastie Boys and Link Wray songs)
  • Helen Marnie (Ladytron lead singer) The Hunter Remixed 12" Clear Vinyl (500 copies only)
  • Porcupine I See Sound EP (500 copies only)
  • Southern Culture On the Skids w/Fred Schnieder Party at My Trouse b/w Hey Mary
LP RECORDS
  • Alanis Morissette Live at Montreux 2012 (140g 2LP)
  • Alice Cooper Live at Montreux 2005 (140g 2LP White Vinyl)
  • Bachman & Turner Live at Roseland Ballroom, NYC (140g 2LP)
  • Bis Data Panik Etcetera 180g White Vinyl
  • Black Angels Indigo Rainbow outtakes (7 songs that didn't make Indigo + 4 new songs)
  • Black Crowes Warpaint (140g White Vinyl 3LP on Rock Classics label)
  • Byrds Straight for the Sun (140g White Vinyl 2LP)
  • Duff McKagan Sick (140g Purple 2LP)
  • Elastica s.t
  • Emperor IX Equilibrium (140g Clear Vinyl 2LP)
  • Fairport Convention From Cropredy to Protmeirion (140g 2LP)
  • Fairport Convention Meet on the Ledge--Live at Broughton Castle
  • Fairport Convention XXXV--The 35th Anniversary Album 
  • Fear of Men Loom Deluxe 2 toned color edition
  • Hawkwind Church of Hawkwind (180g Clear Vinyl 2LP)
  • Inspiral Carpets Dung 4 LP (UK/EU RSD Exclusive)
  • Jethro Tull Live in Switzerland 2003 (140g Clear Vinyl 3LP)
  • Motorhead Motorhead (180g White Vinyl 2LP)
  • Motorhead What's Words Worth (Live 1978) (180g Red vinyl)
  • Neil Young Cow Palace 1986
  • Psychic TV The Fabulous Feat Ov Flowering Light (140g 2LP Red Vinyl)
  • Psychic TV Hacienda (140g Red Vinyl 2LP)
  • Psychic TV Live at Thee Marquee (140g Red Vinyl 2LP) 
  • Rainbow Rockplast 195--Black Masquerade (140g Red Vinyl 3LP)
  • Testament Live in London (180g Red Vinyl 2LP)
  • Twilight Sad Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters (Deluxe Reissue LP with Demos and Rarities....may be UK/EU RSD exclusive and not in the US)
  • Suburban Mutilation The Opera Ain't Over Til the Fat Lady Sings (30th Anniversary Remastered version on Red Vinyl, 1000 copies only)
  • Various Artists--Non Violent Femmes (LP Comp of Violent Femmes tracks sung by all female fronted bands)
  • Various Artists Bob Dylan & The Band's Basement Tapes Influences (140g 2LP)
BOXSETS (Both 7" and LP)
  • Insomnium The Candlelight Years (180g 7LP box w/each LP on different colors)
  • Minus 5---Scott the Hoopie in the Dungeon of Horror, 5LP box (500 copies only---features Scott McCaughey, Peter Buck, Jeff Tweedy of Wilco and many other guests)
  • The Space Project
    Fat Possum
    RSD 4/19/14
    7” Box Set

Jupiter: 
    A: Porcelain Raft, “Giove”  - 03:26
    B: The Antlers, “Jupiter"  -  05:54
    Miranda: 
    A: Mutual Benefit “Terraform”  - 04:13
    B: Anna Meredith “Miranda” - 03:35

Neptune : 
    A: Spiritualized Mississippi Space Program “Always Forgetting With You (Mercury's Out Tonight)” - 06:08
    B. The Holydrug Couple “Amphitrites Lost” - 04:30

Uranus : 
    A: Youth Lagoon “Worms” - 04:35
    B:  Blues Control “Blues Danube”  - 06:10

Saturn: 
    A: Beach House “Saturn Song”  - 04:33
    B: Zomes “Moonlet”  - 06:03

Earth: 
    A: Absolutely Free “EARTH I " - 04:37
    B: Jesu “Song of Earth”  - 04:43

Io: 
    A: Benoit & Sergio “Long Neglected Words”  - 03:49