iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Discussion

Jumping into the middle of a conversation but if you currently own an iPhone, are upgrading to a 6, and have to have the $200 trade-in credit to avoid a financial short-fall, you are making a dumb decision. If someone with a couple thousand saved up wants to chase the latest and greatest apple products, whatever makes you happy.

So it shouldn't really matter if the rebate comes immediately or later, if people are making common sense decisions.

Thank you!

Jumping into the middle of a conversation but if you currently own an iPhone, are upgrading to a 6, and have to have the $200 trade-in credit to avoid a financial short-fall, you are making a dumb decision. If someone with a couple thousand saved up wants to chase the latest and greatest apple products, whatever makes you happy.

So it shouldn't really matter if the rebate comes immediately or later, if people are making common sense decisions.

My argument is that it doesn't count as a rebate if all you're getting is $200 to spend at a verizon store. If it were a Visa card or something, it'd be different. Reason being Verizon is forcing you to spend more money at Verizon, not giving you money back for you to use as you please. I suppose if you plan on spending $200 more than an iphone upgrade at verizon, then, yes, it all comes out in the wash.

My argument is that it doesn't count as a rebate if all you're getting is $200 to spend at a verizon store. If it were a Visa card or something, it'd be different. Reason being Verizon is forcing you to spend more money at Verizon, not giving you money back for you to use as you please. I suppose if you plan on spending $200 more than an iphone upgrade at verizon, then, yes, it all comes out in the wash.

Do you not pay a monthly bill at Verizon? Unless they specifically state "CANNOT BE USED TO PAY YOUR BILL", in which case I will shut up.

what kind of fools would spend hours in line waiting for something that will be readily available and cheaper in a few months

edit: oops sorry meant to post in Record Store Day thread

The same fools who will be putting them on ebay or craigslist and selling them to other fools without patience or any common sense. Oh wait, you're right this is an RSD post.

So I pulled the trigger, sold my Verizon unlimited plan for $500. I ordered an LG G3 from Sprint with unlimited data, the phone was only $99 with a contact I get a 20% discount on. Once the iPhone 6 is openly available and not on a nightmarish backorder I'll be doing the same for my wife, basically upgrading our devices and pocketing $400+ when all is said and done.

You gonna boot it and put a vanilla android OS or use it as is? I'm seriously considering the G3. All I know is I hate my Galaxy s4 but that's touchwiz's fault for sucking. 

You gonna boot it and put a vanilla android OS or use it as is? I'm seriously considering the G3. All I know is I hate my Galaxy s4 but that's touchwiz's fault for sucking. 

At the moment the bootloader is still locked, so it's not necessarily ROM friendly (it will get bypassed, they always do lol). From what I'm reading LG really pulled back on layering anything on top of the OS, so it's already pretty damn close to AOSP and the stuff they did develop for the device is supposed to actually be helpful. I was sold with the 3GB of RAM, removable battery, and expandable memory (I don't care about, nor would I ever use a thumb scanner, or heart rate monitor, or any of that stuff). The fact that it does 4k recording is another added bonus, plus it was on sale for only $99 with a new contract - that stacked with my work discount AND the promo from a free dock/extra battery from LG via their site made it steal. I'm about to go pick it up as soon as I'm done uploading this podcast, I'll be 'field-testing' Sprint's coverage in my area and decide whether or not we should also sell my wife's Unlimited Verizon line and switch her over too, or just keep her on Verizon with a capped plan and use that trade in promo for the 6 they're doing right now. If we do that I won't pocket an extra couple hundred, but it might not be work the hassle, especially since she doesn't use as much data as I do.

I'm really enjoying my 6. Not too many upgrades from my 5 though except that it's a bit bigger. I like the larger screen though. Texting is a bit easier and the camera is nice. The 6 plus must be huge though because the 6 is pushing it in terms of size. It barely fits in a pocket.

Follow up to my last post- get a G3 if you're sticking with Android. It's the shit. You can also use the Stump app to root it within 5 minutes of owning it :)

I called Verizon yesterday, the CS rep said that trading in your device doesn't even guarantee you'll get $200 towards an iPhone 6, they have to appraise the condition of it. A family member who works for Verizon told me that they were instructed to not offer more than $70 for a 4s.

Follow up to my last post- get a G3 if you're sticking with Android. It's the shit. You can also use the Stump app to root it within 5 minutes of owning it :)

I called Verizon yesterday, the CS rep said that trading in your device doesn't even guarantee you'll get $200 towards an iPhone 6, they have to appraise the condition of it. A family member who works for Verizon told me that they were instructed to not offer more than $70 for a 4s.

I just got back from the Verizon store where I traded my 4S in and got the full $200. If possible, it's better to go directly to the store than doing it online. In store they do the evaluation in front of you and you get instant credit, as opposed to shipping your phone off, waiting for their appraisal, and 4 - 6 weeks for the gift card delivery.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced case that will charge my iPhone 5? I did a quick search on Amazon and it looks like there are plenty of cheap options, but I know sometimes cheap accessories will make the "this device is not supported" message pop up.