PO - Brand New - Science Fiction

1 hour ago, njpunkmusic said:

lol guilty.  I guess its just since I was an active member of ap.net for a dozen years.  That and the fact that I get bored at my desk job all day and run out of music websites.

True. I still miss AP. But it's just not the same. The music news is buried by Apple news and reblogged feminist articles. And the community is kind of annoying. 

1 hour ago, lostcrimes said:

True. I still miss AP. But it's just not the same. The music news is buried by Apple news and reblogged feminist articles. And the community is kind of annoying. 

This... AP.net forums were such a staple for me growing up/high school years. The forums were such a better place then. What the site has turned into is completely sad. 

Edited by januarytwenty

6 hours ago, njpunkmusic said:

Just a few notes

#1 I find it funny that good ol'  Mr. Tate Closed the BN forum on chrous.fm this week after stating for a year he wouldn't.

#2 I sold my CD the week it arrived for $320

#3 I really really like this song.

#4 Technically brand new was 2000-2017.  They were MIA for 2018.

#5 Regardless of his past, I still love, support, and miss this band.  It had four members, not one.  I feel bad for the other three guys.  

#6 I really wonder what BN had up their sleeves for 2018 being as it was going to be their last year.

My issue with the "three other guys" thing is..look I'm sure they made their peace with Jesse internally and that's between them and it's fine. What's not fine is when the women who spoke out were being threatened and harassed they stayed silent. To me that says volumes

The ap.net/chorus.fm staff (well not everyone just Jason Tate and @drewberinger) are the worst. They think they know everything better than the users, their opinions are facts ( I got banned for different opinion), they are posting news like 1-2 weeks behind. Can't believe that the site is still thriving. Shame I used to love that site...

Edited by xfactor675

Yea I also get that vibe from the staff members.  More so Jason Tate who thinks his shit dont stink.  And he's always trying to raise money from users.  His new website sucks and news is outdated.  And their forum rules are so anti-bullying, catholic school vibe that you get warned just for saying someone looks funny.  Anyways; back to Brand New.  I really wish they would play one more show, but I dont see that being a possibility.  

11 hours ago, xfactor675 said:

The ap.net/chorus.fm staff (well not everyone just Jason Tate and @drewberinger) are the worst. They think they know everything better than the users, their opinions are facts ( I got banned for different opinion), they are posting news like 1-2 weeks behind. Can't believe that the site is still thriving. Shame I used to love that site...

I actually appreciate the fact that you tagged me in a post to shit talk me haha

19 hours ago, xfactor675 said:

I remember Drew from the forums, he was always nice. Jason was condescending and seemed to revel in talking down to people. Really unsure as to why they are so behind in news, always seemed fairly easy get someone to work for free in exchange for access/moderator status.

Guess Scott Heisel won that feud

Edited by trainsaw

50 minutes ago, trainsaw said:

I remember Drew from the forums, he was always nice. Jason was condescending and seemed to revel in talking down to people. Really unsure as to why they are so behind in news, always seemed fairly easy get someone to work for free in exchange for access/moderator status.

Guess Scott Heisel won that feud

Weren’t you a moderator or something at one point? Could’ve sworn I’ve seen your username green at one time... 

10 hours ago, januarytwenty said:

Weren’t you a moderator or something at one point? Could’ve sworn I’ve seen your username green at one time... 

I actually started the entertainment roundup stuff, approached Jason about it, as I was interested in getting my foot in the door on web publication stuff. Kept it up for a few months and then couldn’t keep it going, mix of school and loathing the news commenters. I just kinda quit that and the site afterwards. Don’t think there was any real falling out and I barely went into the admin forum. Will say he was the same dude to his unpaid mods/contributors as he was commenters, so always felt apart from it as it was

Think some dude named Alex or Anton did it (can’t remember) after that and did a great job with it.

I do have some fond memories of that site, the chat threads were hilarious and some really cool people introduced me to some cool music. 

Edited by trainsaw

10 minutes ago, trainsaw said:

I actually started the entertainment roundup stuff, approached Jason about it, as I was interested in getting my foot in the door on web publication stuff. Kept it up for a few months and then couldn’t keep it going, mix of school and loathing the news commenters. I just kinda quit that and the site afterwards. Don’t think there was any real falling out and I barely went into the admin forum. Will say he was the same dude to his unpaid mods/contributors as he was commenters, so always felt apart from it as it was

Think some dude named Alex or Anton did it (can’t remember) after that and did a great job with it.

I do have some fond memories of that site, the chat threads were hilarious and some really cool people introduced me to some cool music. 

Anton was the man.  His love for Midtown and my love for Midtown went hand and hand.

2 minutes ago, njpunkmusic said:

Anton was the man.  His love for Midtown and my love for Midtown went hand and hand.

Ha he was pretty cool, had a neat last name too 

There was a poster named Kyle who I’d swear was Trillballins from their humor

Edited by trainsaw

On 1/2/2019 at 6:38 PM, agaetisbyrjun said:

My issue with the "three other guys" thing is..look I'm sure they made their peace with Jesse internally and that's between them and it's fine. What's not fine is when the women who spoke out were being threatened and harassed they stayed silent. To me that says volumes

Exactly!  The other three have been quiet during all of this as far as I'm aware.  Any/all of them could have announced the death of the band, or that they kicked Jesse out, or that they all decided to move on and start a new project together (or retire from music altogether).  They didn't.

Also, I can't listen to BN at this point, knowing what we know now.  Some of his lyrics make my skin crawl now, and I really can't in good conscience continue to support this band.  My wife works with adolescents who are by and large victims of sexual assault/abuse, and what Jesse Lacey has been accused of is far more heinous than any BN apologist realizes.  The dude should be in prison, but I guess I can settle for knowing that his legacy is completely trashed.  I'm actually trying to sell off all my BN vinyl and donate the proceeds to a non-profit that helps victims of sexual assault/human trafficking.

Side story: A now-former friend of mine recently got divorced from his wife (who is very good friends with my wife).  The core reason is that he'd cheated on his wife numerous times throughout the course of their marriage.  But what came out after that, was that he'd also harassed countless women in the Seattle punk scene and beyond, both online and in person.  My wife was one of his many harassment victims, but at the time she and I just shrugged it off as drunken stupidity and thought it was an isolated thing, so we kept it to ourselves.  Turns out, that's what everyone else did too.  With the information now public, he has been cut off by just about everyone involved in the scene locally and has been blackballed from playing any notable "punk" venue in the US and several places abroad (he's had a couple of mildly successful bands in the past).

I feel ashamed for not saying anything sooner and I feel foolish for not seeing this shithead for who he really was.  But once it came out that his behavior was more widespread than we could ever have known, I was quick to write him off and publicly warn others about his predatory behavior.  I'd feel sympathy for the other members of BN if they gave some indication as to how they felt about this situation, but I suspect that they knew about Jesse's predatory behavior and chose not to say anything publicly, which is appalling.  Either way, they've been a little too quiet about the whole thing for my comfort.

But to get things back on topic, yeah, fuck Jason Tate!  That dude sucks, and changing the website to chorus.fm officially killed my interest in the site (along with a ton of other people, if you look at their traffic numbers before/after the changeover).

Edited by tdogg241
Wording