PO Soon: ††† (Crosses) - Goodnight, God Bless, I Love U, Delete (10/13/23)

Kanellos

4 hours ago, N8TRU said:

The COVID hobby idiots are ruining it for everyone. In the new vinyl releases group a bunch of clique morons keep saying a $30 12" with 18 minutes of music is totally fine. Then they double down and say "oh aftermarket is $50 so this is good." Meanwhile someone replied with the new Pure Noise EPs on a 12" for $18 and we're sitting there like, you wanna keep making this point??? And they do. $30 single LPs are so exhausting and sadly becoming the norm and pushing me out. I'd much rather have money for anything else than a fucking $30 LP or a $40 2xLP.

Edit: sorry if this was unhinged or random it's just been annoying me a lot the past day.

You're saying what most of us are thinking 🤷 it absolutely sucks that our little niche hobby is now a normal thing. It's marketed towards the average consumer who's dumb as fuck.

50 dollars for a record because the vinyl isn't black or they stamped the back of it is perfectly normal for a consoomer. Most of of those records just end up as wall decorations or if they're lucky get a photoshoot with a Crosley cruiser that cost the same as the record.

5 hours ago, N8TRU said:

The COVID hobby idiots are ruining it for everyone. In the new vinyl releases group a bunch of clique morons keep saying a $30 12" with 18 minutes of music is totally fine. Then they double down and say "oh aftermarket is $50 so this is good." Meanwhile someone replied with the new Pure Noise EPs on a 12" for $18 and we're sitting there like, you wanna keep making this point??? And they do. $30 single LPs are so exhausting and sadly becoming the norm and pushing me out. I'd much rather have money for anything else than a fucking $30 LP or a $40 2xLP.

Edit: sorry if this was unhinged or random it's just been annoying me a lot the past day.

You’re not wrong about any of that.  I won’t say that it’s 100% the fault of new (pandemic) collectors, but so many of them had no baseline when they got into this hobby.  Many still don’t realize when they’re being gouged.  And yeah – you best believe that labels are taking notes.  It just makes me respect labels like Kranky or anyone else keeping double LPs under $30.

And I can stomach $30, $35 out the door.  But when you start piling on tax, and this new trend of $8-9 “Media Mail”?  Half a hundo to own the most inconvenient format for a music album.  I think that needs to sink in for way more people.

Anyways, I’m not shaming anyone for pulling the trigger on this.  There are bands and exceptions that will have me [reluctantly] fork over $40, $45 PPD once in a while.  I’m not going to pretend that I’m completely above it or whatever.  But that was never the argument – I just think it’s fairly inaccurate to say all 2LPs are more or less $40 today.  Maybe shit from big labels, especially sold through their web-store.  But for me anyways, I do think the vast majority of the double LPs I’m buying in 2023 are way closer to $25-$31 before shipping.  With prices on the trend they’ve followed, I’ve found myself way more selective with my purchases this year, opting out of stuff that would be neat or nice to own… but not when it’s pushing $50 out the door.

5 hours ago, N8TRU said:

covid is when I went back to collecting CDs, which means im probably the only person on this board who's glad they're still on Warner lol

These prices are mind numbing. I would buy that gold nugget but $75 is too much. I’ve been building a new site for the labels I work for and I was doing pricing for the shipping and media is almost as expensive as the new USPS mailing options. You include the cost of a mailer, we use the good whiplash mailers that cost $1.25 or $1.50 each, the cost of paying someone $20 a hour to ship stuff, and that $8 media mail is on the money. The world is changing guys and I’m preordering less online and buying more in a shop. It’s cheaper and the social activity is good for me. 

Edited by seanicus

On 8/4/2023 at 12:24 PM, N8TRU said:

Nah, you're good. And correct.

Edit: Nah, not nag 😆

Edited by TheGhostOfRandySavage

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, andrewlucas said:

Am I the only one waiting on their order? I ordered both variants and a slipmat. Haven’t heard a peep. 

Honestly I would be terrified if I dropped 90 on that gold variant. They'd probably send me a floor tile or calendar. In all seriousness though sandbag doesn't really do shipping notifications. My copy of Sing The Sorrow and my package of string arrived without any sort of notice/email. Give it a few days. 

Edited by SaulManella

I put in 2 separate orders back during pre-order period.  1 of them arrived yesterday (gold vinyl and cd) via USPS.  The other one is en route via UPS (clear vinyl and slipmat).  I ended up picking up the indie black ice variant on release day because my boots started knocking having not heard a peep from Sandbag and being burned by them on pre-ordering before.  Also, just logged into my account and notice the orders actually say fulfilled now, so check your accounts if you're still waiting for your order.

Now my next dilemma is which one i'm going to open for my personal collection.  Can anyone testify about sound quality?  looks to me like this was a Bernie Grundman cut and pressed at that god awful GZ pressing plant.  Grundman and GZ media shouldn't be spoken in the same sentence but oh well.