Secret Santa 2013 Edition (updated 9/26)

I have no Trade List. I came of age in the early New Brunswick basement scenes where the Bouncing Souls and Lifetime felt like house bands on Handy Street. I left NJ in 1995 for Gainesville to start hitting House Shows with Hot Water Music, I Hate Myself, Radon etc. I count myself as damn lucky since I traded one budding influential scene for another.  

I miss the DIY aesthetic of the mid-1990s desperately every time I see a $20 new LP or a young band with more t-shirt designs than songs written. 

I think Jimmy Eat World is the most overrated band of my generation and I think it's a toss-up between Black Train Jack and Radon for most underrated. 

I'd rather you not spend money on me - pull something meaningful from your house. If you feel a need to spend money then make a donation in my name for $15 to somewhere great. I think Save The Chimps and the Monmouth County Food Bank are very worthy. 

I love mix-cds. I love comics. I love art. I love books. I am obsessed with cycling, running and swimming right now so if you share that passion send me a workout you enjoy. I love movies - non-fiction and fiction. 

On the Waterfront is my favorite drama and I consider it a mission in life to share it with younger folks. I think Baseketball is one of the funniest movies ever. I love Ernest movies. Rushmore is a go-to when in a bad mood film, it always cheers me up. I think Godzilla is truly one of the greatest movie metaphors of all time. Some of my happiest moments have been chatting with Al Maysles and DA Pennebaker - I love docs and find a way to spend time with legends is something I enjoy wholeheartedly. A Time For Burning is the documentary I always recommend to people who think they've seen it all - masterpiece. 

My favorite zines of all-time are probably Dishwasher and Burn Collector. When I went back to re-read them not long ago I found Burn Collector overly pretentious but Dishwasher made me laugh my ass off all over again. 

I hate over-produced music. I really enjoy hearing the human side to the people laying down the tracks. 

I think the new Front Bottoms is the best thing I've heard all year. Last year I loved OFF and Japandroids. I've been jamming a good bit of Public Enemy of late. My son and I both love Youth of Today, The Mob and The Bouncing Souls. I got a call not long ago from Day Care where the teacher asked why my son kept singing something about "Liking peoples Moms" - I laughed hard as hell. 

Including something Ladybug related for my three year old son wins you bonus points.

Anyway, I'm game. Send me local stuff. Send me something that you love to share. Send me anything - I may not love the contents of the package but I will surely appreciate the effort you put into making it. It won't go unnoticed. 

ok, here we go:

name's Cesar. I live in Los Angeles, about 10 mins from Amoeba.

Favorite team: Boston Red Sox.

Favorite bands: Thrice, Fucked Up, Against Me!, Descendents, Converge, Ceremony, etc. You can either look at my tradelist to get an idea of what else I'm into. Oh, and I have a very weird fascination with R. Kelly. No joke.

The only comics I read are The Walking Dead, Lil Depressed Boy, Batman, Kick Ass and pretty much anything by Mark Millar.

I love all movies. Seriously. Top 5: American Beauty, True Lies, Event Horizon, Mean Girls, & Forrest Gump.

I really love mix CD's. The radio annoys me so I have about 50 CD's in my car and I play all of them so the more the merrier!

I love peanut butter M&M's and anything peanut butter related.

I just started getting into cycling. I have a 53cm fixie and I fucking LOVE it.

I'm a Mac guy. Just got my first iPhone this year after having a blackberry and then a Galaxy and I don't regret it at all.

check out my instagram to see my every (other) day life: http://instagram.com/ceserrano#

Think that sums me up. If I think of anything else, I'll post it on here.

THANKS IN ADVANCE SS.

Sent my info in so I'll post some junk about myself here.

My name's Steve, 23, I'm from northwest PA but currently live right in the middle of Disney, Sea World and Universal (the tourist drivers drive me insane, I hate them with a ruthless passion). Went to college for a semester for a BFA in graphic design but kinda just quit going because ...I dunno, mostly because I'm lazy honestly. I'm still really interested in design and typography though! I also do freelance illustration and design here and there and a good portion of the books I own are design, typography and anatomy reference.

I'm really into writing/producing music, home studio nonsense, etc and have several music aliases I release stuff under ranging from EDM and post hardcore to post rock and metal/deathcore crap. Basically if it sounds good to me I want to try making it. My tastes are all over the place but lately I've really been focusing on post rock. Most of the time when I'm playing something on my tt I just throw something chill on and relax. Huge, huge fan of Hammock, Moving Mountains, Jon Hopkins, Telefon Tel Aviv, EITS, Caspian, Lord Huron, TWDY, etc, you know the drill with this stuff.

I'm not much of a gamer but there are a few games I am religiously into; the Dead Space series is my biggest kick followed by Final Fantasy (I play 9 and 13 a ton) and the Namco Tales series. Not much of a movie guy but found footage horror stuff like [REC] and The Tunnel tickles my mundane fancy. What can I say, I like being spooked.

The only stuff I tend to hoard other than records is music/sound equipment/junk and essential oils (I'm really into aroma therapy and making my own cologne/perfume/whatever scents). I pretty much live off of pizza, pasta, and simply lemonade and I'll probably die from diabetes but hey, whatever. Carbs are rad. This is getting pretty huge and stupid so I'll shut up. Really stoked about this and hoping I can put something good together for whoever I get. Shout out in advance to whoever gets me!

PS: forgot to mention my shirt size is small.

Sent my info in so I'll post some junk about myself here.

My name's Steve, 23, I'm from northwest PA but currently live right in the middle of Disney, Sea World and Universal (the tourist drivers drive me insane, I hate them with a ruthless passion). Went to college for a semester for a BFA in graphic design but kinda just quit going because ...I dunno, mostly because I'm lazy honestly. I'm still really interested in design and typography though! I also do freelance illustration and design here and there and a good portion of the books I own are design, typography and anatomy reference.

I'm really into writing/producing music, home studio nonsense, etc and have several music aliases I release stuff under ranging from EDM and post hardcore to post rock and metal/deathcore crap. Basically if it sounds good to me I want to try making it. My tastes are all over the place but lately I've really been focusing on post rock. Most of the time when I'm playing something on my tt I just throw something chill on and relax. Huge, huge fan of Hammock, Moving Mountains, Jon Hopkins, Telefon Tel Aviv, EITS, Caspian, Lord Huron, TWDY, etc, you know the drill with this stuff.

I'm not much of a gamer but there are a few games I am religiously into; the Dead Space series is my biggest kick followed by Final Fantasy (I play 9 and 13 a ton) and the Namco Tales series. Not much of a movie guy but found footage horror stuff like [REC] and The Tunnel tickles my mundane fancy. What can I say, I like being spooked.

The only stuff I tend to hoard other than records is music/sound equipment/junk and essential oils (I'm really into aroma therapy and making my own cologne/perfume/whatever scents). I pretty much live off of pizza, pasta, and simply lemonade and I'll probably die from diabetes but hey, whatever. Carbs are rad. This is getting pretty huge and stupid so I'll shut up. Really stoked about this and hoping I can put something good together for whoever I get. Shout out in advance to whoever gets me!

from erie?

i dated a girl from titusville and partied in oil city! fun towns! ahhh, good ole' rt. 8!

Definitely have some really awesome friends I grew up with from there, most have moved away for/after school though so the town itself is just boring now when I visit my parents. Cool seeing other people here who know the area I grew up in though since outside PA most people haven't even heard of it. Man, I'm getting this thread 50 shades of derailed just being in it.

Definitely have some really awesome friends I grew up with from there, most have moved away for/after school though so the town itself is just boring now when I visit my parents. Cool seeing other people here who know the area I grew up in though since outside PA most people haven't even heard of it. Man, I'm getting this thread 50 shades of derailed just being in it.

used to go to shows in oil city/franklin in the 90's/early 2000s.  i grew up and lived in edinboro.  used to be so many good shows in meadville/woodcock/oilcity/franklin/etc... braid played in meadville.  how cool is that?  troymess on here is from that area too. 

Alright, just submitted my info so I might as well throw a little more information to the board. 

I have a tradelist in my sig. I'm always down to listen to mostly anything really (generally not techno-ish dubstep type stuff though). I'm a huge Kevin Devine fan. I'd be pretty much thrilled with anything KD related. I like prints, design and typography a lot. I'm a few months out of finishing my graphic design bachelors at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I'm a big fan of clean design and minimalism. I'm also a fan of beagles. Find me a beagle that can make a sick type poster and I'll be as pleased as punch. 

I'm definitely not opposed to receiving anything random/funny/silly. I'm not gonna be a hard SS receiver to please. Just use your imagination and have some fun with it. I look forward to doing the same for one of you. 

used to go to shows in oil city/franklin in the 90's/early 2000s.  i grew up and lived in edinboro.  used to be so many good shows in meadville/woodcock/oilcity/franklin/etc... braid played in meadville.  how cool is that?  troymess on here is from that area too. 

Pretty dang cool! Solid Rock Cafe shows by any chance? That place is probably the reason I'm even here and listen to half of anything. Baby's first concerts and all that jazz haha. The music scene there kinda died off when they stopped having shows around 2006ish though. Big bummer. 

just signed up!

here's a little about my likes. i'm always looking for new stuff and will be happy with anything!

films: art house, criterion collection, foreign films, studio ghibli

art: modern/minimalistic/abstract, mondo

music: modern classical, post rock, indie/alternative, olafur arnalds, circa survive, bright eyes, cursive, appleseed cast, caspian 

authors: haruki murakami, chuck palahniuk

comics: batman, watchmen, kick ass

shows: breaking bad, walking dead, lost, twin peaks

misc: japanese stuff, action figures, random collectibles

I just made mine, I'm sorry it's so long it's direct from my personal wishlist which helps me when I'm in record stores along with helping me remember what I want so I may end up buying some of these but when I do I will update this list I promise., I have also put this wishlist in my sig for easy access: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n4GoOQ4XGCxYOEkyVRa1Igi_eKLziq25e1mRB7mA9ec/edit?usp=sharing

I signed up.  I put "Fuck no!" to shipping to Canada/Overseas.  I'm from Canada, and I am obviously willing to ship to the states, I'd just rather not do overseas.  Will do my write up thing soon.

EDIT:  Here's a little about me.  I'm bad at this and don't know what to write.

My name is John.  I'm 19 and I live in Edmonton, Alberta.  I mainly listen to emo/punk/hardcore, but am open to most things other than techno/edm and classic rock (sorry).  My favorite bands to name a few, are Brand New, Joie De Vivre, TWIABP, Mineral, Snowing, Spraynard, and so on. I play guitar.  It's always winter here so I do a lot of snowboarding.   I kind of skateboard, but I'm not very good.  I love hockey, but I don't play, because my parents would never let me while growing up.  I am a die hard Edmonton Oilers fan.  I have a miniature daschund and I love animals.  I love beer, but hate hard liquor.  I really, really want to move to Boston when I'm done school.  Maybe spend some time in New York as well.  I have american citizenship after all.  So if whoever gets me happens to be from Boston, I love your city.  Philly and NYC are cool as well.  

As for gifts, you don't have to spend a lot on me.  Find cool shit around your house, mixtapes, posters laying around.  I don't really care what it is, as long as the thought it there.  But if you want to buy a record, go for it.  Cool local bands?  Send me their stuff!  I like old, cool t shirts that your dad wore 20 years ago or you found at goodwill.  Anything really will make me happy.  If I think of anything to add I will.

I'm working on a full TWIABP collection, so anything I don't have already would be cool.  

i hate putting info about myself on here. i never know what to put.

Nah, but seriously though, I would be interested in anything that is new and refreshing and that the sender could introduce me to. Anyway though I am really going to do my best to send a great package!

Edit:

I thought about it and I think I need to put something here for reference for my Secret Santa to read through.

My name is Joseph and I am from Summerville, SC right outside of Charleston. I love living here because of the great venues and restaurants in Charleston and we have some great record stores too. 

I will be genuinely easy to shop for because I am open to anything that would be sent my way.

Some of my favorite bands would definitely be IncubusMotion City SoundtrackFinchSugarcultFarewell Continental, Various Joey Cape projects (I.E. The Playing FavoritesBad Astronaut), The Ataris, AFIBlink 182 (which I always put off getting their albums, because they always seem to be around), 

---The Music(Leeds UK Band, near Impossible to find their Self Titled album, I finally was able to buy a copy off of Discogs). With The Music I am excited to have the 3rd album (Strength In Numbers sessions) complete. I am just missing a handful of 7"s from the past two albums.--- 

These are genuinely my favorite bands but would enjoy things in those veins when suggested. 

Also, I love listening to Soundtracks and I genuinely enjoy Clint Mansell's work. 

I have recently been into collecting my favorite albums on cassette and I am trying to complete what I call Tri-fecta's in albums being that I have the album on CD/Vinyl/Cassette. I have been able to do it with a couple of my albums. 

I am also a HUGE fan of anything 90's: Pop Culture, Music, Movies and of course GREAT 90's Nickelodeon i.e.1990-98 especially Hey Arnold, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Hey Dude, Doug, etc. I did not really care for Ren & Stimpy or Rocko's Modern Life though. You definitely can't go wrong with Hey Arnold or Hey Dude! 

--I am now a casual gamer but the hardcore gamer in me(from the past) LOVES the Sega Dreamcast. Sega's first party IP's were AMAZING on that system and my favorite game series of all time would have to be Shenmue with Jet Set Radio(Series) and Crazy Taxi coming next.  

I'm Katherine, and I don't really know what to write here but, here's most of my collection/what I'm into http://www.discogs.com/user/softpyramids (shows I'm also a great seller!).

My two favorite bands of all time are the Red House Painters and Owen. I've seen Owen live about 11 or 12 times now. 

Cats are awesome. And so are all cat themed things. I have a girl cat named Davey (after the singer of The Promise Ring).

I also like anything related to the ocean! I've spent my last four summers whale watching from Montauk Harbor.

Anything about the paranormal (ghosts, aliens, cryptids) is super interesting to me.

I love tattoos (and have a few), but I'm mostly interested in American traditional and Russian Criminal tattoos. Not too fond of a lot of the cartoonish looking new style.

Coffee is fucking awesome and I wouldn't survive without it, but I'm a bit of a coffee snob. That's all I've got.