The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Soooooo... anyone else see Rogue One yet? Just got back from my (first) view and holy *dolphin noise*! That was amazing! Almost crying tears of joy. Story was great, characters were great, music was on point, and the easter eggs/cameos (I guess you can call them that?) were fantastic!

I saw it Thursday night, and to be honest about halfway through I felt a little disappointed.  Something about it just felt off, and I don't know what it was that changed but somewhere in the middle it clicked. Its not just a Star Wars movie, its a WAR movie. It felt like watching a WWII movie set in the Star Wars universe. Its not gonna make sense and I'm still trying to put how I feel into words but it felt more... real. I plan on seeing it again on Sunday and hopefully I'll have some concise feelings about but as for now: I did enjoy the shit out of it and I only foresee liking it more and more upon repeat viewings.

7 hours ago, clerk3745 said:

I saw it Thursday night, and to be honest about halfway through I felt a little disappointed.  Something about it just felt off, and I don't know what it was that changed but somewhere in the middle it clicked. Its not just a Star Wars movie, its a WAR movie. It felt like watching a WWII movie set in the Star Wars universe. Its not gonna make sense and I'm still trying to put how I feel into words but it felt more... real. I plan on seeing it again on Sunday and hopefully I'll have some concise feelings about but as for now: I did enjoy the shit out of it and I only foresee liking it more and more upon repeat viewings.

Don't forget... technically this IS a movie set in the Star Wars universe and not part of the "main" story. So your feelings are pretty justified IMO.

Movie was fucking awesome, will probably check it out again in theaters if I'm working near a real IMAX theater anytime soon.

8 hours ago, clerk3745 said:

I had similar feelings as you across the board — not exactly disappointment per se, but that feeling of "How does this fit in the universe?" It's so different thematically, darker than anything else in the entire Star Wars saga thus far, and even the heroes weren't exactly  good people. But that was also kind of the appeal to it: This movie made the Rebel Alliance look just as flawed as the Empire, and at the same time added a deeper level of humanity to some people within the Empire (the scene with the engineers in the rain was heartbreaking). But yeah, it definitely felt like a war movie, not your typical "a hero's journey" movie that pretty much every Star Wars movie has been.

All that said: The Vader scene at the end was totally badass.

Watched it on Thu night as some you also...and although felt kinda "disappointed" overall...I realized that it's not necessarily a Star Wars movie per se. It's in the SW canon and therefore should be seen and considered as that. It's an add-on to the SW universe we've all come to know and love. Once that sunk in and I realized it, and thusly took me a couple of days to make my mind up and post here, I feel that this movie is awesome. It's definitely hella darker and grim than what we've been accustomed to in all of the other SW movies. Yes...just as grim as Solo's death in Force Awakens.

But overall...the one gripe I have is that it felt rushed. The storyline was very break-neck speed from beginning to end. But the action and "holy shit!" moments (both good and bad) made up for that.

For anybody who enjoyed the "down and dirtiness" of this, I recommend the Star Wars canon novel "Battlefront: Twilight Company" by Alexander Freed. I read this a few months ago and it wasn't my favorite novel but after seeing this and seeing that Freed was picked to write the Rogue One novelization made me rethink about it and it really makes sense now. 

Everything you guys find disappointing is everything I loved about it, haha.

Felt like a WWII movie, and that made it amazing.  It provided some realness and grit to the universe that didn't exist before.  I honestly think that with the context of this movie it will increase my appreciation of the other films.  Especially A New Hope, which was pretty low on my list before this movie.

Movie is a solid 7.5. It really suffers from that first section, but once it finally picks up, it goes places. Unfortunate that I didn't care about anyone really other than K2. Also can I say how that score pulled me out of the movie? I know Giacchino had no time to develop something good, but I can't help but feel like he should have stuck more with the Williams scores a bit more. When I'm liking the trailer music more than the actual score, that should be worrisome.

23 hours ago, Vector53 said:

Movie is a solid 7.5. It really suffers from that first section, but once it finally picks up, it goes places. Unfortunate that I didn't care about anyone really other than K2. Also can I say how that score pulled me out of the movie? I know Giacchino had no time to develop something good, but I can't help but feel like he should have stuck more with the Williams scores a bit more. When I'm liking the trailer music more than the actual score, that should be worrisome.

I agree. The music was probably my least favorite part of the movie. Some of it was alright, but every time it started picking up I felt like it kinda just dropped off. Maybe I just wanted Williams the entire time, but I wasn't really impressed with the score they used.

Really interested to hear in what elements this upstages ep. VII (since so many share that notion), I felt like I watched an empty shell of a movie with one-dimensional characters, no relationships, no inner motivations, poor dialogue and really conventional action directing. The cinematography was outstanding though.

• 4 weeks later...