Honestly, why are people all in a twist about artists getting paid and so on? You know that in all likelihood the tracks are probably given over free (or some nominal amount) in lieu of the free publicity this mix vinyl thing is offering the bands. You know, there's a reason why labels like Sub Pop stopped and started the singles club thing -- they're a bitch to run on time and ultimately more hassle than they're worth. I subscribed to their singles club in the late 90's and they gave everybody who subscribed the first year an extra 6 months for free because it was one never-ending fuck-up..

As for VNYL. The more I have to read about it the more incensed I get with every aspect. It was doomed to fail, but perhaps not to the same degree it has as of this moment. There must be a ton of great second hand vinyl out there, I mean shit, if this dude had even bothered to fill a decent inventory that met within the general feel of the 'vibes' there might not be such an uproar but passing off junk vinyl as being something more than it is was idiotic and embarrassing. 

what the FUCK kess. after giving people a hard time about delays of a record that we actually want, you go and do this??

also, this is such a scam. i'm pissed that this nick guy is getting away with it. i hope people continue to shit on this "service" and his store closes down.

It's pretty eggrivating.

But it is only publicity to 500 people because ~~~limited~~~

Honestly, why are people all in a twist about artists getting paid and so on? You know that in all likelihood the tracks are probably given over free (or some nominal amount) in lieu of the free publicity this mix vinyl thing is offering the bands. You know, there's a reason why labels like Sub Pop stopped and started the singles club thing -- they're a bitch to run on time and ultimately more hassle than they're worth. I subscribed to their singles club in the late 90's and they gave everybody who subscribed the first year an extra 6 months for free because it was one never-ending fuck-up..

As for VNYL. The more I have to read about it the more incensed I get with every aspect. It was doomed to fail, but perhaps not to the same degree it has as of this moment. There must be a ton of great second hand vinyl out there, I mean shit, if this dude had even bothered to fill a decent inventory that met within the general feel of the 'vibes' there might not be such an uproar but passing off junk vinyl as being something more than it is was idiotic and embarrassing.

Imagine if this was any other medium or product.

It's a "box subscription" sort of deal for makeup or food or snacks or nerd merch.

On their website, they'd have really well-dressed photos of the top makeup brands, foodie-approved restauranteur recipes, locally-grown delicious-sounding jalapeño-ricotta cashew & quinoa clusters, and really cool 12" figures of the Walking Dead cast.

Let's even throw out the whole curated element.  Let's say they are just offering you the equivalent of FKA-Twigs-quality products in those genres, stuff that even if you don't personally like it, you've read great reviews for it and know there is quality there.

What you would end up getting is dried up Garnier-Fructis single-use packets from Garnier's 2005 Vans Warped Tour booth, a recipe for how to make a discontinued McDonalds snack wrap, a bag of generic gas-station wasabi mix, and a John From Cincinnati 'For Your Consideration' mailer.

People would be even more pissed than now.  But because some people have never been to a Goodwill or have never looked through the vinyl section at a thrift shop, they can receive a terrible $1 record that they admit is not to their tastes, related to their Spotify or Discogs data, or any good at all and they view it as being sent a long-lost artifact, like a piece of petrified hipster wood or a mass-produced dinosaur bone.

Every 'positive' review is from an older woman who is probably related to one of these VNYL team members or from seemingly-well-meaning young people who are just happy to get something in the mail that, in their mind, is a long-lost relic that you can't get anywhere else.  I mean, Tony Orlando.  I've never heard of him so this must be like a forgotten gem that only a few people still have!

Also, the people at the store in the photos seem 'fun' in the same way people in Budweiser, Kia and Levi commercials seem 'fun'.