Record Store Day 2015 (4/18/15)

Your logic, which is spot on, won't get you well liked around here - if you care about that sort of nonsense. :)

It's whatever.  We have all been on the wrong side of a "flip" before.  It is what it is.  It will always be apart of any hobby that puts a premium on limited items.  

I just get tired of all the whining about it.  Especially, when there is a sub forum for selling records where almost nothing is sold for the original cost.  

That's the point.  You don't know if someone buys a record with the intention to flip it.  Only the person who buys it will know.  If you know that you're buying a record just to flip it, then it's lame.  End of story.  It's not that difficult.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I truly don't understand how anyone could argue against this statement.

YOU don't get it. What's the proper grace period? A few days? A week? A year? 

How do you know what someone's intent is when they buy a record? That's what I'm saying.

This board is just preachers preaching to preachers preaching about bullshit. Sad, truly. 

There is no "grace period", but a grace number of listens.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I truly don't understand how anyone could argue against this statement.

No one is arguing that.

It's just this board is super quick to demonize anyone selling a record at a profit without knowing any of the backstory.

I clearly sell records, you can see my store. Sometimes I tire of them and I want to get new ones in. Not hiding that. I listed the Polaris record last night, two times, which means I accidentally hit the confirm button twice. I also meant to list a different record, and was looking at that one's entry for a different reason, and swapped their listings. Totally a possibility, but not likely according to the know-it-all's here.

It's just silly, overall. It really comes down to "mind your own business" in the grand scheme.

It's like this board has absolutely no concept of "supply and demand", a practice that literally fuels the entire economy in the world we live in (outside of records)

We're talking about a niche community/hobby, not oil or natural gas or some shit.  I'm sure most the people on this board understand supply and demand at the most basic level.  It goes without saying that there will be a lot of demand for a limited product, and therefore, people will be willing to pay more.  But it's still lame to see people pulling the "but have you ever heard of supply and demand???" card in a community (these boards) that is pretty tight knit.

Looks like Kess is being a turd and trying to flip a few copies of the Polaris RSD release.

http://www.discogs.com/seller/kessl3r/profile

That's his account according to this thread.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/107267-taking-offers-on-my-tradelist-for-the-first-time/

What a loser

We're talking about a niche community/hobby, not oil or natural gas or some shit. I'm sure most the people on this board understand supply and demand at the most basic level. It goes without saying that there will be a lot of demand for a limited product, and therefore, people will be willing to pay more. But it's still lame to see people pulling the "but have you ever heard of supply and demand???" card in a community (these boards) that is pretty tight knit .

Here's a bit of much needed perspective for ya'll

What if someone had a terminal disease and couldn't afford the medical care, and was trying to make money in any way possible, and found they could by flipping records? Would that make them a "turd" just because you couldn't get your precious out of print wax disks for a price YOU personally find fair? Christ.

Just an example, an extreme one mind you, to illustrate how fuckin self righteous this board is.

You could always cook meth instead

Yeah I hate the supply and demand argument as well.

Last night, I went to two local shops for the hell of it.The only record I wanted was the foo fighters release but I didn't care enough to go out in the morning and deal with the clusterfuckery that is RSD.

I spent almost 180 bucks on stuff that I'm either not into or literally have never heard. I picked these up because I saw and knew that people were asking for these. Now I could have thrown everything on ebay since the "demand" is high and probably quadrupled my money. I chose not to do that because I'm not a shitbag and I get more satisfaction out of helping well known members who actually contribute to this community.

Since this thread took a turn to flipping, am I the only one who thinks there is little difference between flippers and collectors who keep records sealed? Both really don't care about the music and are preventing someone from actually listening to the album, he'll with a flipper someone might actually buy it and listen to it. Also, what is the point of keeping a record sealed except hoping it goes up in value, just a long term flip.

Hate to interrupt this delightful mess of an argument, but does anyone have a copy in hand of/store near them with Better Call Saul? I got one for myself, but when my friend saw it he said he wanted one. Not super urgent, but if anyone would be willing to go get one/part with theirs at cost, my buddy would be grateful.

Yeah I hate the supply and demand argument as well.

Last night, I went to two local shops for the hell of it.The only record I wanted was the foo fighters release but I didn't care enough to go out in the morning and deal with the clusterfuckery that is RSD.

I spent almost 180 bucks on stuff that I'm either not into or literally have never heard. I picked these up because I saw and knew that people were asking for these. Now I could have thrown everything on ebay since the "demand" is high and probably quadrupled my money. I chose not to do that because I'm not a shitbag and I get more satisfaction out of helping well known members who actually contribute to this community.

Exactly! I helped out three members of the board and it felt good to help others out.

I'm super tired of this argument popping up, but I always feel compelled to speak on it. I think it's very obvious as to what is shitty behavior and what isn't. If you are buying records with the specific intent to sell it for more than you paid for it, then that is shitty, obviously. That's not even a point that can be argued. If you bought something, regretted it immediately and went to sell it online for way more than you paid for it that same day, that is shitty as well. Putting something on eBay with a starting bid of $.01 or in a FS thread on VC with "taking offers" and accepting whatever another user is willing to pay is not shitty, because you're not forcing a specific inflated price on somebody. They are giving you what they want to for it.

The reason people get upset is that while it may seem silly, we're all on this board to help each other out with information, obtaining records for others, etc., and so it sucks when you see someone flipping a release that could be sold to a member here looking for one.