PO: Explosions In The Sky - The Wilderness

Xsjado

You guys are tripping. I can already tell that this album is better than Take Care... which isn't a bad record, but still overstays its welcome outside of the couple of stellar tracks. I've given Wilderness 4-5 thorough listens at this point – it's definitely a new direction for the band, and I think that kind of change was necessary at this point in their catalog. There's not a single song I find myself considering to skip, personally, and if anything this is the first EITS that feels a bit short in my books. The only questionable moment I have with it is on Infinite Orbit - I believe it's called - where the song hits full stride and introduces a promising melody and then abruptly wraps up before doing anything with it.

The whole production of the record is pretty enjoyable to my ears; there are moments when the band is thunderous and (dare I say) darker than they've ever sounded. Drums definitely shine on a few tracks, while textures and general layering take emphasis over just the guitars, which were the star of the show for the last 3 albums or so.

I don't know, I'm pretty happy with it. It's different but it's also brief and easily revisitable, and I find myself picking up on new bits to appreciate with each pass-through.

I was getting worried, but if Derek digs it then it's good ;)

semi-sarcastic, I rarely find myself disagreeing with Derek's tastes (where our tastes overlap).

<3

I'm eager to hear more opinions. I don't know what everyone else was expecting from this album, but based off the first 2 singles I'd say that delivers a breath of fresh air they've teased for the last few months. It retains my interest pretty well, but maybe I'm just easy to please. I wouldn't call myself a diehard EITS fanboy, either, but I'm definitely content with it. Probably going to run through it again this morning to build that vinyl hype.

The fact Halo 2 regards it as awful should cement your reassurance that it's worth pre-ordering.

I think this album is really good, and I'm sure it is one that is going to get better with each successive listen. I've been a fan of EITS for years, and they'e never done anything bad. But... I'm happy to see them venture in recent years from the same delay-driven crescendo guitar anthems that have been emulated by every carbon-copy post-rock band under the sun.

Those Who Tell the Truth is still one of my favorites, and The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place is brilliant, but they started to fall into repeat mode after that. I didn't dislike All of a Sudden or Take Care, but I felt they were capable of more.  The Prince Avalanche soundtrack got me really excited for EITS again (that album really gets me in the feels), and I'm glad to see them experimenting with different sounds, textures, and directions.  I'm sure their time spent exploring other projects has also helped.

I don't care what the naysayers think, this band is still amazing.

I didn't care for the last couple of soundtracks but I'll likely revisit them once I hear the new album. I really hope they play Seattle again soon, they skipped us and just played Sasquatch last time, which I had no interest in. I've seen them 3-4 times in small venues and they were amazing every time, probably my favorite band in that environment. I also saw them open for NIN in Vegas, which was also good but not the same, especially with all the NIN fans who didn't care and were babbling on while the band was playing. 

I didn't care for the last couple of soundtracks but I'll likely revisit them once I hear the new album. I really hope they play Seattle again soon, they skipped us and just played Sasquatch last time, which I had no interest in. I've seen them 3-4 times in small venues and they were amazing every time, probably my favorite band in that environment. I also saw them open for NIN in Vegas, which was also good but not the same, especially with all the NIN fans who didn't care and were babbling on while the band was playing. 

I'm hoping for a Seattle date soon too.  Last time they played a headlining show was 2012 if I remember right.

post rock bands transcend genres so I feel they get on some weird tours, it's a bummer people don't take more note of them sometimes