Post Your Record Storage Area

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

Found our loungeroom was getting really cluttered so ive done a swap with some new Kallax shelves in lieu of the old Expedits......Using the white shelves and dropping the heigh has just made the room feel heaps more open

Before

rkEvuwR.jpg

After

7FGV0am.jpg

Edited by piky0032

I also moved a few months ago, and decided that since my two 2x2 Expedits were basically full, it was time for an upgrade.

I'm really happy with the new 4x4 Kallax and all of the room I have for expansion! Still not too crazy about having to have my turntable and receiver separate from the shelf, but idk if it would look right having them sitting on top of the Kallax since it's so tall. It would make hooking the speakers up way easier, though... what do y'all think?

50 minutes ago, piky0032 said:

Found our loungeroom was getting really cluttered so ive done a swap with some new Kallax shelves in lieu of the old Expedits......Using the white shelves and dropping the heigh has just made the room feel heaps more open

Before

rkEvuwR.jpg

After

7FGV0am.jpg

I like the cabinets along the bottom row a lot. Is that an Ikea thing? Also, What speakers do you have?

56 minutes ago, swb said:

You can buy those doors as add-ons at IKEA. Great for keeping small pets out of the bottom row.

1 hour ago, docbronze said:

I like the cabinets along the bottom row a lot. Is that an Ikea thing? Also, What speakers do you have?

Yep  they are the Door inserts that Ikea sell as add ons for the Kallax series. They are a bit of a pain to install but once they are in they look great. 

Speakers are Bose 301s - I got them at a rediculous price and prefered them to the Wharfedales that i was running. I also have it all connected through the roof and into the outdoor entertainment area to Bose Outdoors as well.....they pump

13 minutes ago, piky0032 said:

Yep  they are the Door inserts that Ikea sell as add ons for the Kallax series. They are a bit of a pain to install but once they are in they look great. 

Speakers are Bose 301s - I got them at a rediculous price and prefered them to the Wharfedales that i was running. I also have it all connected through the roof and into the outdoor entertainment area to Bose Outdoors as well.....they pump

Ah! I should've guessed Bose with that horizontal form factor. Out of curiosity, which Wharfedales were you using before?

20 hours ago, docbronze said:

Ah! I should've guessed Bose with that horizontal form factor. Out of curiosity, which Wharfedales were you using before?

Diamond 10.1s.....i did  an A/B test and these sounded so much brighter. But value for money, if i was paying rrp id probably take the Wharfedales, i just happened to get the Bose 301s dirt cheap.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Raj said:

Bit of tinkering in the man cave ... some 20mm redwood timber, some rough work trials on ergonomics ... what is the verdict?

gKzdoer.jpg

The verdict is you dont need to post the same stuff in every thread with the words storage in it

On 8/18/2017 at 1:28 AM, unknown pleasures said:

So, just out of curiosity, what's the highest anyone has stacked Kallax shelves? Would a 2x2 on top of a 2x4 stacked vertically be asking for trouble?

I've got two 4x4s with a 2x4 stacked on top horizontally with no issues, if that's any help. Pro tip: securing the dowels with wood glue when assembling makes them a bit more durable, but obviously makes them un-tear-down-able during a move... My setup also allows for some box set space on the top, as there are some surfaces to lean against and that don't need the strict headroom that the records in the Kallax need to adhere to

Edit: sorry, just realised how insanely old this post was - not trying to revive a dead thread!

Edited by phabletzza

I don't think I've posted here before but my modest setup is below. I built the record cabinet about 3 years ago when I had ~400 records but I'm already running out of room. Also, I live in a tiny apartment so I don't have any other options for speaker placement - I know they're too tucked into the wall.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • jhulud locked this topic