Is it me, or did VC undergo a shift in taste?

moonbeams

When I joined VC back in the Virgil/Andy days, it seemed that a solid amount of the POs and music popping up in the collection threads was 80s~90s punk. I discovered VC doing a search for Screeching Weasel. It seemed like collections for every band but the Queers were posted in the collection thread.

Now I can scroll down VC for 4 to 5 pages and the only threads with music I recognize are parts of the Epitaph and Hot Topic threads.

I realize I am out of touch now, but is it just me, or has there been a general shift in the direction of popular music here? Maybe symbolized with the death of Lookout Records, the bands I grew up with no longer put out stuff and all the PO threads are devoted to new music.

Anyone else feeling this?

definitely. i forget exactly when i joined but it was maybe a year before shit hit the fan with virgil. i think a lot of the stuff people liked at that time is still here it's just been (heavily) diluted with more mainstream stuff (see: all the kanye et al threads in the main section). Not saying it's bad but it's definitely changed IMO.

ive been here since the first week it started... it was primarily org core & folk punk stuff from the onset.. and as vinyl became more popular there was an influx of all kinds of other music fans.. most of which annoyed the piss out of the original posters, and they all left. theres not many og members left these days ;)

ive been here since the first week it started... it was primarily org core & folk punk stuff from the onset.. and as vinyl became more popular there was an influx of all kinds of other music fans.. most of which annoyed the piss out of the original posters, and they all left. theres not many og members left these days ;)

nailed it

there's also a lot of fake people here catfishing everyone.

I do miss being interested in really anything in the Vinyl related board, but every now and then something garage, psych, or doom related will float in that i didn't know about, or a preorder for something like that, so I stick around and mostly lurk.

I think one of the reasons the vinyl board looks the way it does too is because new records go "out of print" in a color, and then get pressed again the same week in a new color. So those threads never seem to die.

I'd say that both the current Release and S/T/B boards have become less and less relevant to my interests over the years... but only because I'm not listening to the same garbage I was when I was 19.

Browsing new POs, 2008...

vc-old.png

Browsing new POs, 2014...

vc-new.png

No forum for old men.

I'd say that both the current Release and S/T/B boards have become less and less relevant to my interests over the years... but only because I'm not listening to the same garbage I was when I was 19.

vc-old.png

vc-new.png

No forum for old men.

hahahaha. yes. this.

vc-old.png

vc-new.png

No forum for old men.

Perfect.

Posting in a moonbeams thread.

Ha!  I didn't even notice.  I should've recognized the signature, but that Deep Blue username really threw me off.  The best part is that I read the title, quizzically clicked on the topic, read the premise, and thought to myself what a goofy-ass thread.  Moral of the story; trust your gut.

[edit]

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful for this topic.  VC wouldn't be the same without you, Moon Beams, and we all know it.

Damn, didn't realize i have been here so long:  Member Since 22 Jun 2007

I have become a lurker at best over the last several years as i have no input on 90% of the bands that are loved around here today. 

What i miss most, is being able to find good/cheap/used 90s punk rock records in the for sale forum. I hardly look anymore because everyone is trying to sell the same shit that all came out within the last 6-12 months. 

The influx of dumb question threads has definitely hit me like the "No Forum For Old Men" gif. 

I want people to enjoy music on their own terms but damn if there hasn't been an influx of dumb shit here*. I figure it's the ebb and flow of the place. All in all I spend more time in the Everything Else forum and less time in the B/S/T. 

*This in no way includes anything Shaq related.