Jump to content
ethanpricington

PO NOW: LINKIN PARK - One More Light (May 19th)

Recommended Posts

Definitely.

 

There are a few people in this thread that aren't necessarily hyped, but are still optimistic that Linkin Park will be worth checking out 12+ years after they had their moment in the spotlight.  That's fine.  The part I'm curious about - without trying to sound too condescending here - is... why?  Hybrid Theory was basically the coolest new thing in junior high, for me.  Of course.  And I spent a good bit of time with Meteora when it was released, I'll admit it.  But that shit is behind me, personally, and to me it feels like good riddance.  I've also never worn denim shorts or collected Magic: The Gathering cards since then.  There's just so much good music out there that I don't see why you'd hope a band will rehash their glory days for your nostalgia when they're clearly more interested in writing radio butt-rock for Transformer soundtracks.  I'm not preaching what anyone should or shouldn't listen to, but I am saying that some things are definitely better left in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Definitely.

 

There are a few people in this thread that aren't necessarily hyped, but are still optimistic that Linkin Park will be worth checking out 12+ years after they had their moment in the spotlight.  That's fine.  The part I'm curious about - without trying to sound too condescending here - is... why?  Hybrid Theory was basically the coolest new thing in junior high, for me.  Of course.  And I spent a good bit of time with Meteora when it was released, I'll admit it.  But that shit is behind me, personally, and to me it feels like good riddance.  I've also never worn denim shorts or collected Magic: The Gathering cards since then.  There's just so much good music out there that I don't see why you'd hope a band will rehash their glory days for your nostalgia when they're clearly more interested in writing radio butt-rock for Transformer soundtracks.  I'm not preaching what anyone should or shouldn't listen to, but I am saying that some things are definitely better left in the past.

 
 
 

I think you're getting people wrong in this thread. I don't see anyone in this thread even hinting they want a new HT/Meteora record, or that Nu-metal sound. Well, I certainly don't. That music is in the past for me and doesn't really resonate with me anymore. But Linkin Park has always managed to make some decent pop-rock songs that I enjoyed to sing along to. Songs like Shadow of the Day, Waiting for the End, Powerless, Final Masquerade etc...I think they're good at making these pop-rock songs, where you can still hear it's Linkin Park. I agree on there is a ton of music out there which is far better, no doubt about it, but stuff like Converge or Deafheaven ain't exactly the music you can walk around and sing along to in your apartment, or well, I can't :D

Anyways, what is disappointing with this song, in particular, is that you can't really hear it's Linkin Park anymore. I know they can do better than this at least, it seems like not much effort went into it. 

Edited by wexzer
typo yo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mmhmm said:

Not defending this song, necessarily, but it seems people jump to conclusions based on one song way too quickly.  When was the last time you listened to an album and it had a few slow/boring ones on it?  All the time, right?  What if this song is exactly that?  

Speaking to Billboard, Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda discussed the sound of "Heavy." He said, "One of the reasons why we chose 'Heavy' as the first single is because it is really the core sound of the album. This wasn't a scenario where the whole album sounds one way and the single sounds different. This is how the album sounds. So we wanted to go out with a song like that, where everybody can get a sense of the direction of this body of work." - See more at: http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=3026916#sthash.cviJ9eqY.dpuf

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ethanpricington said:

Speaking to Billboard, Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda discussed the sound of "Heavy." He said, "One of the reasons why we chose 'Heavy' as the first single is because it is really the core sound of the album. This wasn't a scenario where the whole album sounds one way and the single sounds different. This is how the album sounds. So we wanted to go out with a song like that, where everybody can get a sense of the direction of this body of work." - See more at: http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=3026916#sthash.cviJ9eqY.dpuf

 

 

Ha!  I stand corrected :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2017 at 2:21 PM, SE7EN said:

Seriously, wtf was that track?

 

If you hadn't told me it was LP, I'd have thought it was the latest thing from Bieber or Timberlake.

 

FFS guys... Come on... Just come the f*ck on.

Bieber and Timberlake at least know how to write catchy pop songs. They are good at their genres. This is pure shit. It's not good for any genre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I wasn't expecting to be blown away or anything (as Derek said above, this band had their time and place for me, though it was my college years in my case).  But this doesn't even sound like the same band anymore, and that shit was just terrible.  I stopped following them after Meteora, but I listened to Hybrid Theory more times than I can count.

I've always maintained that I'll never fault a band for not making the same album twice, but that doesn't mean the fans should be expected to like it, especially with a shift in sound this drastic when compared to their earliest albums.  And in LP's case, they were one of the biggest nu-metal bands in the early 00s, and with those first couple albums, they did it well.  But much like a lot of the ska and swing revival bands that hit it big a few years prior, they ditched their signature sound once it was no longer profitable or getting airplay due to oversaturation of the market.  The bands that didn't found themselves dropped by their labels or just outright breaking up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2017 at 3:30 AM, wexzer said:

I think you're getting people wrong in this thread. I don't see anyone in this thread even hinting they want a new HT/Meteora record, or that Nu-metal sound. Well, I certainly don't. That music is in the past for me and doesn't really resonate with me anymore. But Linkin Park has always managed to make some decent pop-rock songs that I enjoyed to sing along to. Songs like Shadow of the Day, Waiting for the End, Powerless, Final Masquerade etc...I think they're good at making these pop-rock songs, where you can still hear it's Linkin Park. I agree on there is a ton of music out there which is far better, no doubt about it, but stuff like Converge or Deafheaven ain't exactly the music you can walk around and sing along to in your apartment, or well, I can't :D

Anyways, what is disappointing with this song, in particular, is that you can't really hear it's Linkin Park anymore. I know they can do better than this at least, it seems like not much effort went into it. 

Just wanted to say that this was a solid post and that I can't disagree with any of it.  Pop-rock as a whole (and especially Linkin Park's brand of it) doesn't do a lot for me, personally, but if they scratch an itch that you can enjoy while accepting that they're not the same band they used to be, more power to you or anyone else.  I guess it should probably speak volumes that fans of their "pop" sound are still shitting over the new track, though.  I haven't listened to it myself, so I can't weigh in on its specifics, but that's only because it seems like a moot point.

 

41 minutes ago, tdogg241 said:

Wow, I wasn't expecting to be blown away or anything (as Derek said above, this band had their time and place for me, though it was my college years in my case).  But this doesn't even sound like the same band anymore, and that shit was just terrible.  I stopped following them after Meteora, but I listened to Hybrid Theory more times than I can count.

I've always maintained that I'll never fault a band for not making the same album twice, but that doesn't mean the fans should be expected to like it, especially with a shift in sound this drastic when compared to their earliest albums.  And in LP's case, they were one of the biggest nu-metal bands in the early 00s, and with those first couple albums, they did it well.  But much like a lot of the ska and swing revival bands that hit it big a few years prior, they ditched their signature sound once it was no longer profitable or getting airplay due to oversaturation of the market.  The bands that didn't found themselves dropped by their labels or just outright breaking up.

While their nostalgic albums still aren't for me, today, I think that Linkin Park could've at least cemented themselves and their accomplishments in a semi-respectable light if they just called it quits or released new styles of music under a different project.  I know that goes against all practicality by abandoning the household name and image you've spent years establishing, but for artistic integrity it'd sure save them a lot of flack.  (Not that they particularly care what a bunch of vinyl nerds on a forum think about the music they're releasing, today, but still.)  I mainly just wanted to post that I wholeheartedly agree about not faulting a band for trying new things and not making the same album twice, but I think we can both agree that experimentation and pushing comfort zones with new music is the exact opposite of what Linkin Park has been doing for the last decade, give or take.  This just strikes me as watering down an original sound and sterilizing it for radio play.  It's just wild to think that there are probably some Linkin Park fans out there, somewhere, who are still on board with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meteora is decent and I own Hybrid Theory on vinyl for the lulz. I haven't even listened to anything since the Jay-Z collab album. 

 

That being said, this is the worst thing I've ever heard in my life. Seriously. I don't have the best tastes but holy shit even my 7 week old daughter got pissed when I played that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was persuaded to listen to the new single and it's just as bad as I was imagining.  Linkin Park are well on their way to contributing to more film soundtracks, for sure.  Except instead of the next big Michael Bay movie, this new track sounds like it'd be an excellent pick for a heartwarming coming-of-age teen movie.  (Or maybe the next summer blockbuster from DreamWorks; tell me I'm not onto something.)  Can't wait for their Kidz Bop feature from the next album, if they can squeeze out one more.

 

On a positive note, I'll be honest and say that I actually really like the album art for this record.  The lighting and colors, especially.  It'd make for a really nice ambient or shoegaze cover.  Shame to see it wasted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for "evolving" your sound or experimentation if it sounds inspired.  This sounds like "Shit we better get on board with that new age mainstream radio sound so we don't go broke".  I had the same reaction to Silversun Pickups last album.  Just sounded like a cash grab rather than an attempt at good music they cared about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×