WHIRR - Sway LP (out on 9/23) and Pipe Dreams Redux

Statement Run For Cover:

Frankly, no, it doesn’t change anything. We were aware of the information in Whirr’s statement when we made the decision. Although the band is not signed to our label, and never have been, we have decided to not work with them in the future, and stop selling their releases we did have a hand in. Also, despite being at a financial net loss with Whirr and Camera Shy, we will be donating $3,000 to a TBA non profit in support of equal rights for LGBTQ. We will be posting what organization later today, we just didn’t want to jump the gun on that decision.

I haven't read every post in this thread yet but wanted to make a few things clear.

- When I defended the band on Tumblr, I was referring to their shit talking of Pitchfork. Should I have been defending them at all? Definitely not. I had never (and still have never) seen the band say the word "faggot" or post anything transphobic until last night. That doesn't excuse the other stupid and offensive things they have said, but at one point in my life I felt that we had so many bands, and worked with so many individual people, that it was fundamentally impossible for everyone to have opinions in line with my own. This was a very naive and even harmful outlook to have. I realized that is not the way to approach these sort of situations and that as soon as anyone feels unsafe, marginalized, disrespected, threatened, or unaccepted, that whatever is happening is not ok. 

- All Whirr and Camera Shy merchandise will be removed from our store, we're working on it. 

- This is not a PR stunt. We are not dropping them to save face. We are not ceasing to work with them because of the hate we got on twitter, we simply hadn't seen the bands tweets yet until we were notified by the general public. We would have made this exact decision on our own, although the thousands of people tweeting at us definitely made it happen faster. 

If you have any questions, comments, or simply want to talk about this with me, please feel free to email me. [email protected]. I will respond to everyone so don't feel that your time may be wasted.

Thank you.

-jeff

I haven't read every post in this thread yet but wanted to make a few things clear.

- When I defended the band on Tumblr, I was referring to their shit talking of Pitchfork. Should I have been defending them at all? Definitely not. I had never (and still have never) seen the band say the word "faggot" or post anything transphobic until last night. That doesn't excuse the other stupid and offensive things they have said, but at one point in my life I felt that we had so many bands, and worked with so many individual people, that it was fundamentally impossible for everyone to have opinions in line with my own. This was a very naive and even harmful outlook to have. I realized that is not the way to approach these sort of situations and that as soon as anyone feels unsafe, marginalized, disrespected, threatened, or unaccepted, that whatever is happening is not ok. 

- All Whirr and Camera Shy merchandise will be removed from our store, we're working on it. 

- This is not a PR stunt. We are not dropping them to save face. We are not ceasing to work with them because of the hate we got on twitter, we simply hadn't seen the bands tweets yet until we were notified by the general public. We would have made this exact decision on our own, although the thousands of people tweeting at us definitely made it happen faster. 

If you have any questions, comments, or simply want to talk about this with me, please feel free to email me. [email protected]. I will respond to everyone so don't feel that your time may be wasted.

Thank you.

-jeff

seriously best dude.

- When I defended the band on Tumblr, I was referring to their shit talking of Pitchfork. Should I have been defending them at all? Definitely not. I had never (and still have never) seen the band say the word "faggot" or post anything transphobic until last night. That doesn't excuse the other stupid and offensive things they have said, but at one point in my life I felt that we had so many bands, and worked with so many individual people, that it was fundamentally impossible for everyone to have opinions in line with my own. I realize this is not the way to approach these sort of situations and that as soon as anyone feels unsafe, marginalized, disrespected, threatened, or unaccepted, that whatever is happening is not ok.

Thank you.

-jeff

I think everyone is cool with how you handled this. The $3,000 donation is cool, because it's an awesome thing to do regardless of this situation.

If your enjoyment of an artist is determined by if that artist agrees with you on political and societal issues, you have a pretty thin grasp on what you do and do appreciate. The artist and their art is completely separate. Same reason I think it's ridiculous to hate Kanye West's music just because he acts like an ass on TV. Who cares?

Were you guys fans of Whirr specifically because of how trans-friendly they were? No? Why would their ignorance affect your opinion on the music? I can understand not wanting to support them if they're openly transphobic, but that doesn't even seem to be the case. In the least, I'm having a hard time seeing how it would affect how someone feels about Whirr music they've already purchased or enjoyed.

That being said, I also find the band to be somewhat shit. The one word that comes to mind is "derivative."

Not a fan, but still, WTF.

RFC has definitely dealt with the situation very well though.

Thank you.

-jeff

I commend you for doing it, especially for the loss you are taking, If I can help, or buy something I am 100% there.  

Thank you.

-jeff

can we send this post (and the entirety of your response in the last day) to pure noise in how to actually deal with a situation like this? this is the best.

If your enjoyment of an artist is determined by if that artist agrees with you on political and societal issues, you have a pretty thin grasp on what you do and do appreciate. The artist and their art is completely separate. Same reason I think it's ridiculous to hate Kanye West's music just because he acts like an ass on TV. Who cares?

Were you guys fans of Whirr specifically because of how trans-friendly they were? No? Why would their ignorance affect your opinion on the music? I can understand not wanting to support them if they're openly transphobic, but that doesn't even seem to be the case. In the least, I'm having a hard time seeing how it would affect how someone feels about Whirr music they've already purchased or enjoyed.

That being said, I also find the band to be somewhat shit. The one word that comes to mind is "derivative."

Not a fan, but still, WTF.

RFC has definitely dealt with the situation very well though.

Kanye's act is a shtick that generates buzz. Him calling himself a God, or the greatest artist of our generation is not the same as telling a group of individuals to kill themselves, or ridiculing the way a group chooses to identify with their gender.

I am far from a Tumblr-crazed SJW, but it's pretty apparent that Nick needs to grow up and stop bring less of a shitty human being. It's one thing if his "moral compass" is a little off kilter, but it's to the point where it's become obnoxious. When you rely on publicity from calling your fanbase "pussies", pride yourself in being a keyboard warrior in Facebook comments, and throw fits over mediocre Pitchfork reviews - after claiming that nothing you say should be taken seriously - yeah, you're a joke. I can't think of any other artist in my library who's as insufferably cringe-inducing as Nick / his "Twitter friend" / whoever runs their social media. I'm sure that someone in one of the many bands I enjoy does share some comparably unfortunate views, but the difference is that they aren't flaunting (even embracing) their shittyness, or trying to bank off it. "yuh br0 we'll compare ur fb default to cartoon characters we dont give a fuck lol check out our new album". So edgy. So sinisterly clever. Derp.

You're right; I don't listen to Whirr because I thought they were pro-transgender. Their personal stance on the LGBT community is their own, and doesn't mean a whole lot to me. The obvious difference is that they're choosing to be blatant pricks about said stance. Their crying over Pitchfork scores and pathetic jabs at fans have always made me a little embarrassed to call myself a fan of the band, but I guess this was the breaking point for me. They take try-hard to a level that no other band does – of the hundreds of bands I choose to follow, anyway – so, yeah, it warrants a discussion.

tl;dr – having shitty opinions > publicly flexing shitty opinions, or relying on them as a selling point for your band.

Please donate all of your Whirr merch to me and I will pay for shipping. Thank you.

if literally anyone here other than this person wants my pink copy of sway for the cost of shipping, pm me.  but then again it costs me about $10 usd to ship a record to the states.  probably not worth it 4 whirr.

It's simple.

We get to choose who or what we support as fans or as customers.

There doesn't need to be some black-or-white all-or-nothing rule that must be consistent with every other decision in our life or must account for the behavior of every other artist in the world in order for someone to stop supporting a band.

That said, I only know this band exists because I've read their name in pre-order and WTB threads on here. It's cool to see people rally against a band that does thing kind of stuff, especially when they're popular and (used to) have indie cred with posters.