HELP! Sharpie on vinyl

luneki

I would try rubbing with the grooves, with a cotton pad soaked in the highest purity isopropyl alcohol you can find. Don't be afraid to use a little pressure. After that, I would woodglue. (Titebond II) Then after peeling, try rubbing the afflicted area with ISO again.

But I wouldn't even worry too much about it anyway. Fact of the matter is, unless he really dug the marker tip into that record, which would be very unnatural for a signature, most of the sharpie made contact with the "land" between the grooves - the top of the groove walls. So here's a rundown of 3 things that may happen. Pick whichever 1 is most suitable to your situation.

1. You're running a conical stylus, which may pick up some noise. It also may not. Who knows,

2. You're running a shibata/line contact type stylus (which everyone should be using, because science) which usually rides lower in the groove - it is very unlikely that it will pick up any noise, or make contact with any actual sharpie, even as it passes over the autographed area. Far less than a conical anyhow.

If it does make contact with the sharpie it will likely come off with repeated plays, but only from the areas which would actually effect playback, meaning the autograph would probably still be visible.

3. You're running a crosley and your record is gonna sound like shit regardless of autograph.

Worth giving it a try and finding out.

Why does it bother you that he signed the vinyl? I'd leave it there and be happy I got a unique sig on a limited edition. I'd rather buy another copy than try to remove it and if you don't want the sig copy you can sell it to someone who does.

Music

if the grooves are ruined by the marker, then cleaning it off with chemicals will probably smear it and/or make it worse. just hang it up like you were going to anyway and buy a less limited edition to listen to. 

turntables are expendable, this vinyl is not!

i highly doubt this.