Official Newbury Comics Reissue Thread

Which Modest Mouse records have you checked out, Matt? I personally didn't think I liked them for the longest time because I had only been subjected to their later material, for years. (And even now, it still doesn't do a whole lot for me.) The earlier stuff hooked me hard over the last year or so, though.

Sad Sappy, Moon, Good News, and We Were Dead. We Were Dead is what killed it for me. Although at the time my tastes were getting heavier and more post rock-y as the days went on. When you say earlier, are you talking 90s? Cause it's been a long, long time since I heard any of it. I think I only gave their early to late 90s stuff a once or twice through (Uncle, Long Drive, Lonesome, Building Nothing).

You think I should revisit the 90s era Modest? I mean, I did flip on Appleseed after all, and I never thought I would see the day.

Sad Sappy, Moon, Good News, and We Were Dead. We Were Dead is what killed it for me. Although at the time my tastes were getting heavier and more post rock-y as the days went on. When you say earlier, are you talking 90s? Cause it's been a long, long time since I heard any of it. I think I only gave their early to late 90s stuff a once or twice through (Uncle, Long Drive, Lonesome, Building Nothing).

You think I should revisit the 90s era Modest? I mean, I did flip on Appleseed after all, and I never thought I would see the day.

I can't say for sure that it'll be your cup of tea – you like what you like, honestly – but Long Drive, Lonesome Crowded, and Building Nothing are infinitely better than anything else in their discography, in my opinion.  (I also really dig Moon & Antarctica, for what it's worth.)  I was basing my distaste for them after Good News and We Were Dead for the longest time, kind of like you are.  I figured that if that is what they sounded like, "today", their earlier stuff couldn't possibly have been much better.  I was very mistaken.

I can't say for sure that it'll be your cup of tea – you like what you like, honestly – but Long Drive, Lonesome Crowded, and Building Nothing are infinitely better than anything else in their discography, in my opinion. (I also really dig Moon & Antarctica, for what it's worth.) I was basing my distaste for them after Good News and We Were Dead for the longest time, kind of like you are. I figured that if that is what they sounded like, "today", their earlier stuff couldn't possibly have been much better. I was very mistaken.

Well, given that information and our pretty similar taste in music, and situation, I'll give it a go.

Been meaning to pick up WWDBTSES, but can't justify that price tag.

Same.  $32 is redonkulous.  Keep an eye on ebay, I bought a nice copy a few weeks ago for $5.  

Here's a "NM" copy for $5, but they're trying to charge $11 for shipping, maybe send them a message and ask if they'll do media mail? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modest-Mouse-We-Were-Dead-Before-LP-Vinyl-NEW-/262256579118?hash=item3d0fb5d22e:g:GegAAOSwYaFWesas

Same. $32 is redonkulous. Keep an eye on ebay, I bought a nice copy a few weeks ago for $5.

Here's a "NM" copy for $5, but they're trying to charge $11 for shipping, maybe send them a message and ask if they'll do media mail?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modest-Mouse-We-Were-Dead-Before-LP-Vinyl-NEW-/262256579118?hash=item3d0fb5d22e:g:GegAAOSwYaFWesas

Looks good but there's one bid at $5 and the reserve isn't met. Who knows how much they're looking for. I'll keep an out on eBay though. Good lookin out.

That's what I'm saying. I was kind of annoyed too because I remember on Cassette Store Day I asked them if they got any of the releases and the manager replied in a snarky tone "we're not a cassette store" Yeah but your store will jump onto any hype train they can make money off of. I hate that they sell clothing now that's one thing I dislike about them