i made an indiegogo to replace my guitar that was stolen

I don't really support bands who do this either.

You can mayyyyybe make an argument about livelihood vs hobbies, but stolen gear/broken vans are sort of par for the course if you choose to be a touring musician. Get insurance or stay home.

That being said, I've totally chipped in when it's a band in the past, depends on the situation.

Yeah, I mean, I don't have anything against people donating to bands if they love them. I'm just more likely to run off a dude who I see breaking into someone's car like happened this morning than I am to donate money to something like this.

Also, hey guys. I'd really like to buy some stuff I shouldn't really spend my money on. Donate money to me.

This is actually a serious comment, but if you really are hard up and need the $400 for a guitar just sell plasma. You can make a pretty nice chunk of cash doing that. It's not very time consuming and depending on your area and need level you can make $100 in a week.

That doesn't sound relaxing and fun to me.

Buy a clone guitar from Rondo Music for 1/4 of what you're asking. I bought a teleclone when I got my taxes and it plays better than my actual goddamn Fender.

Wash cars, collect cans. There's always going to be a house that needs it's paint touched up or a lawn to mow. I'm fixing computers and gadgets for people at work to help fund my tape label (I have 2 kids - 19,347 if you include VC, and a full time job). Make time to earn money, it shouldn't take you more than a couple weekends.

I feel so conflicted about all of these crowdfunding things. I used think every single one was a cop-out but now I've donated to a few (elderly couple's home burned down, co-workers grandson has a brain tumor) and I feel like those were appropriate. Those are people in actual life- threatening need. I mean shit, just a few weeks ago my dog almost died and he racked up over 2 grand in vet bills. I knew I could do a gofundme for him, and get that money back but I didn't and I won't. When something like this happens you handle it like a fucking adult and deal with it. I'm sorry your guitar got stolen, but the fact that you expect a bunch of asshole strangers to buy you a new one is insane.

First post: Yeah you're on a record collecting forum while only being able to cover rent, food, Internet, and bills. Want some money? Sell some records.

Alternate post: You literally just said you need people to pay for a new guitar so you can relax and have fun. That is 100% entitlement.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but there are too many people actually fighting to survive that could use handouts before you do.

This x10000

It sucks that something was stolen from you but it sucks even more you're trying to get handouts for it when you could easily just sell some records to raise the money.

This is actually a serious comment, but if you really are hard up and need the $400 for a guitar just sell plasma.  You can make a pretty nice chunk of cash doing that.  It's not very time consuming and depending on your area and need level you can make $100 in a week.

as someone who survived off of plasma for 6 months of my life, please do this! you can save lives.

That doesn't sound relaxing and fun to me.

you get to chill in a recliner for a few hours. its not so bad haha

Yea.. My guitar got stolen a while back and I needed a new one because it was an integral part of how I put food on the table. I did what everyone here is saying and sold records on this forum and people were very kind and generous. Also they weren't just any records. Bad Books I. KDev - Put Your Ghost to Rest. Right Away Great Captian trilogy. Etc.

And after I sold these records (of GREAT sentimental value) I didn't even get to replace my Gibson ES 335 with another one. I now have a Washburn that's about 1/3 the value of my Gibson.

Point is, it sucked. I didn't want to sell these records. I would kill to have them back. But at the end of the day I had a choice to make and my livelihood took precedence over my hobby. Shitty things happen, but as it's been mentioned, there are people with much bigger problems out there.

But at the end of the day I had a choice to make and my livelihood took precedence over my hobby.

Not THE HOBBY!!!

In all seriousness, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but why do people in school think that's a valid excuse to ask for handouts or use as an excuse not to do something themselves? I've had labels not ship me shit I've ordered and use "I'm a full time student" as an excuse to slack off. It's very aggravating, you should be thankful you're getting an education and not act like it's ruining your life, or readjust your priorities.

Not THE HOBBY!!!

In all seriousness, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but why do people in school think that's a valid excuse to ask for handouts or use as an excuse not to do something themselves? I've had labels not ship me shit I've ordered and use "I'm a full time student" as an excuse to slack off. It's very aggravating, you should be thankful you're getting an education and not act like it's ruining your life, or readjust your priorities.

This! Unless you're in med school of course, but most people that use that excuse are taking 4 classes a semester at community college. Not making fun of community college, I do that shit, but any type of schooling is a privilege not an excuse.

At least I'm not getting over 10k to make potato salad. I work as much as I can, but I go to school full time and can pretty much cover rent, food, Internet and bills. This is more of an act of desperation than it is entitlement. Playing shows with my friends at shitty dive bars every other weekend is pretty much the only thing I get to do right now where I can relax and have fun.

Most people here know that I tend not to make negative posts, which could potentially hurt somebody's feelings, but not here I can't.  Most people on here work full-time, attend school, and struggle to get by.  Sure, it sucks; but that's just part of life.  I did it for years.  I had shit stolen, it sucked a lot; but I never once asked for handouts because something was taken from me.  That guitar meant that much to you- get a second job, apply for a credit card, sell some shit (records, plasma, whatever).  What about car insurance?  That should cover it.  Were your doors locked?  If not, sorry someone wasn't being responsible.  

I truly am sorry about you losing your guitar because I know how devastating that would be to me; but I would never leave a guitar (especially one with so much sentimental value) in my car- locked or unlocked, even if it was for a five minute trip to the grocery store. 

all i can say is that at least this isn't as bad as one aquaintance of mine; she quit her part-time job to do more unpaid photo gigs for 'exposure', and now she started a gofundme for new camera gear that she needs to 'move up to the professional level'. nothing was stolen, nothing horrible happened to her, she just straight up wants strangers and friends to fund new camera gear so she can use it to make more money.