DEFTONES- GORE (OUT NOW)

Is there actually no bass guitar in that song? Vega plays a 6-string Fender in the video, which is rather irritating. But maybe Carpenters 38-string Djent-axe makes up for the lack of common low-end..

Not that I ever put much stock into a Pitchfork review, but it's always nice to see bands that actually deserve respect get some from them, despite the predictable and lazy mentions of being able to "emerge out of the nu-metal scene", which plagues literally EVERY review involving a Deftones album.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21547-gore/

EDIT: Holy shit that last paragraph is the most "Pitchfork" thing I've ever read.  LOL.

It will be really interesting to see the updated reviews of this after all the critics sit with it for a month.  Everyone I've talked to agrees this album needs multiple listens to get into. So the knee-jerk "this album sucks" reviews and comments will probably end up being "this is the best album ever" comments.

The album is good, and unmistakenly Deftones. It's a natural progression for the band, but not so different that they couldn't very well make an album that returns to heavier guitar riffs in the future.

I think it's a breath of fresh air for the band after three great albums. It would be different if it didn't sound like the same band.

The album is good, and unmistakenly Deftones. It's a natural progression for the band, but not so different that they couldn't very well make an album that returns to heavier guitar riffs in the future.

I think it's a breath of fresh air for the band after three great albums. It would be different if it didn't sound like the same band.

That's a great way to put it.  It's experimental, without being such a departure that you worry if they'll ever get "back to their roots" again.

Holy crap, I just listened the mp3 of this on my old iPod and it sounds like crap - I cant believe how much it clips.  I understand that mastering engineers nowadays master with earbuds but come on.

I honestly cant tell if youre trolling or not.

You're using an ipod (probably with a set EQ), you're using probably dollar store headphones and compressed mp3's. Not only that but Itunes mastering is different. No kidding it sounds bad.

No professional will EVER mix or master a record with earbuds. So Im not sure what youre on about there.

If you want something thats better grab the 24bit/96khz tracks off HDtracks. DR is not as good as KNY but still better than the other available versions of Gore. Just use a sensible setup.

No professional will EVER mix or master a record with earbuds. So Im not sure what youre on about there.

NOT true.

It's a thing in the last couple of years, and from a business angle it makes sense.  WB Music or whoeverthefuck big label realizes that 90% of the time their shittastic popwhatevercrap music that they churn out en masse is listened to in stock earbuds, so what do they tell their in-house producers to do? Make it sound good on shitty earbuds.

NOT true.

It's a thing in the last couple of years, and from a business angle it makes sense.  WB Music or whoeverthefuck big label realizes that 90% of the time their shittastic popwhatevercrap music that they churn out en masse is listened to in stock earbuds, so what do they tell their in-house producers to do? Make it sound good on shitty earbuds.

Sure for additional masters such as the itunes masters. But the original studio masters are not and will never be mixed with earbuds. No reputable audio engineer would do that.

I dare you to call Megawatt and ask them. They would laugh at you.