Could the economy bring an end to "the hobby"?

Few year back, I've passed NIN "With Teeth" 2LP for 26 usd. My currency back then was around 2 pln for usd. This week I've finally bought this record for 100 usd. My currency now is 4,1 pln for usd.

So if this is just a hobby for you there will be always a reason to quit records. I have people I love, my job and records (on rank three) in my life. I will not compromise that easy. Before you go let me know if you have anything rare. I'll take it. :)

I will always collect records. But what has been said about Canada is true. I decided to go back to university this year. Which puts me in a situation with little to no disposable income. As someone who primarily purchased records online from American companies, I imagine my purchases will slow considerably.

The odd record im sure I'll buy, but the 50$ mondo records just became 70$ here. Items like that were already hard enough to swallow. So that won't be happening anymore.

I will always collect records.

Thats what I said only couple of years ago. I now buy 10% of what I used to. And its not about economy, its just that record prices have doubled since I started 10 years ago and sooner or later you realise that you can buy pretty much the best digital playback system with that same money (99% of new music is recorded digital anyway and is available to download in high resolution for "free") and only cherry pick the essentials on vinyl. 

Thats what I said only couple of years ago. I now buy 10% of what I used to. And its not about economy, its just that record prices have doubled since I started 10 years ago and sooner or later you realise that you can buy pretty much the best digital playback system with that same money (99% of new music is recorded digital anyway and is available to download in high resolution for "free") and only cherry pick the essentials on vinyl.

This, exactly.

like others in this thread, i buy a fraction of what i used to simply because prices have sky rocketed. when i first started collecting in 2005, i was 15 and making about £50 a week... i would go into hmv where they sold 7" singles for 99p, the 1st one i ever bought was sugar were going down by fall out boy. i remember you could get 3 versions, one of which was signed by the whole band, for £5. 7" singles now are £7.99 ish for 2 songs. i went into hmv a few weeks ago and they were selling the 1975 for £28, thats the equivalent of $40. its not the economy thats gonna bring an end to the hobby, its the exorbitant prices charged due to the rising popularity of vinyl. 

With the US->CAN exchange and the shipping rates form the US, I don't buy from the States anymore.

I only order from amazon.ca, Canadian online record stores like Chisel and local record stores. I miss out on a lot though because a lot of records are only on the bands webstore or merchdirect/merchline/kings road type stores that charge 15$ for one vinyl to Canada.

I did find out this weekend that ordering from Kings Road EU is cheaper than ordering from the US one since the shipping to Canada is only 4EU. I pre-ordered Millencolin Pennybridge Pioneers for 28$CAN after exchange so I'll make sure I check their store often.

So right now I'm still collecting but just buying a lot less than before.

As another Canadian feeling the heat, my variant collecting or limited edition pre-orders have definitely shrunk, especially over the past year. 

I don't think the bubble will burst, but as countries find themselves in their own economic peril, the vinyl buying/selling ecosystem may be forced into a more regional/national model where people have to rely more on the .ca's and local stores than hitting up the record label for limited editions. 

While that may sound like a good thing, local stores still need to purchase through distributors and will simply be passing down the cost to the consumer. So while I may pay a little less for a standard release at an indie store than buying straight from the label, it will still be $5 more than it used to be. 

Heck, even shipping INSIDE Canada is stupid expensive...

Everyone is going to try to sell all their turntables and vinyl, but everyone will be too poor to buy it.

Not the Chinese.

Much as they did during the recession with NYC real estate, Hong Kong will stockpile various Mondo variants, limited Record Store Day reissues and clear vinyl copies of Bowie's "Blackstar", filling entire warehouses with anything hipsters were after between 2001-2015.

I don't know how many of you follow the financial markets but the stock market both in the US and abroad has been abysmal this year. China is in economic free fall and oil prices have collapsed. New housing starts surprisingly dropped in December. And there's always a level of uncertainty in an election year without an incumbent. A lot of people are predicting a 2008-like economic recession.

I don't know if these people are right or wrong (I dare not guess myself) but if we really do enter another "Great Recession" do you think the current state or vinyl collecting can keep up?

I mean an environment where $30 single LPs is practically the norm, $40 reissues or cult soundtracks litter the landscape and every year (twice a year) Record Store Day does what it does. Throw in flippers, record collecting subscription services, Urban Outfitters & Barnes and Noble exclusives and you get what I mean.

Just curious what fellow VC folks think...

I buy probably 5-7 new records a week, and can probably count on one hand how many times I've spent $30 on a single LP for a new release.