My ULTIMATE Vinyl ripping workflow

29 minutes ago, Rip said:

Can I still love my records and NOT do this?

Absolutely not.

The first step to really prove you love your records is to watch a 40 minute Youtube video.

Then, you rip your records to the computer so you never have to touch them again. Gotta keep those grailz pristine.

Thirdly, get those puppies up on the wall as decoration. Post that shit on reddit for that sweet sweet karma.

Fourth step, you ask? Profit.

7 hours ago, monsterrod said:

I got into this hobby to avoid things like 40 minute YouTube videos and words like "workflow." 

I got into this hobby because I love music 😉

I love it so much that some records I want to be able to enjoy when im not at home with my turntable and physical collection 🙂

TL;DW? Here's 40mins condensed into a handy list:

1) clean your Thin Lizzy LP using a brush or windex

2) hook your turntable's audio prongs up to a soundcard (ground to pre-amp/paper clip if your turntable is ancient)

3) download audacity and change audio preferences to use said soundcard.

4) slap record in audacity and play your record. Don't forget to flip it. Make sure to walk really heaviliy nearby.

(Optional step: add "vinyl noise" SFX onto recording for extra authenticity then use EQ to crank the treble)

5) export recording to a high quality 128kbps MP3 and put it on your Zune. I'll do another 40 minute tutorial soon on how to put this MP3 on your Zune.

I've never understood the point of ripping vinyl... besides ruining your ears so you can't actually enjoy the advantages vinyl has over mp3s when spinning vinyl. It doesn't sound better digitally than a digital source, vinyl ripping is a thing because of old records with literally no other source to hear them. You're not doing the world a service ripping your copy of Dark Side of the Moon, trust me.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:09 PM, Sunshine said:

I've never understood the point of ripping vinyl... besides ruining your ears so you can't actually enjoy the advantages vinyl has over mp3s when spinning vinyl. It doesn't sound better digitally than a digital source, vinyl ripping is a thing because of old records with literally no other source to hear them. You're not doing the world a service ripping your copy of Dark Side of the Moon, trust me.

The point is listening to something that only exists on vinyl some place other than where you have a stereo setup... or posting it on a music sharing torrent site/archive (R.I.P. What.cd) to boost your ratio.

24 minutes ago, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

The point is listening to something that only exists on vinyl some place other than where you have a stereo setup... or posting it on a music sharing torrent site/archive (R.I.P. What.cd) to boost your ratio.

Exactly, only on vinyl. That isn’t what is happening here