Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

Mylene Sheath has the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

For instance, the last order I placed I forgot to add at 7" to my order, so I hit them up to send me an invoice for the difference.

They reply:

"Yo Matt!

Hope your Friday has been going great :)

To show our appreciation of your past orders, we'll just include it. Nothing else needed :)

Thanks as always Matt, and please let me know if there's anything else we can do for you - have an awesome weekend!!!"
---

Lindsey and Joel are the best. Been ordering through them for years and wish them nothing but the best.

So I ordered the Julia Brown 7" from Bird Tapes on May 5th. Still hasn't arrived after more than two months, all attempts to contact them have gotten no response. I've tried two different emails for the label and even messaged the band directly. I've heard nothing back and now too much time has passed to file a PayPal claim for a refund. Anyone else have this problem or know how to contact them?

So I ordered the Julia Brown 7" from Bird Tapes on May 5th. Still hasn't arrived after more than two months, all attempts to contact them have gotten no response. I've tried two different emails for the label and even messaged the band directly. I've heard nothing back and now too much time has passed to file a PayPal claim for a refund. Anyone else have this problem or know how to contact them?

Sometimes these smaller labels respond to you putting them on blast on social media.

Sometimes these smaller labels respond to you putting them on blast on social media.

There's already 5 or 6 other people on their Facebook wall complaining about the same thing with no response. One guy says he's been waiting over 4 months. It seems like they have a pattern of not responding to their customers at all.

Best:

Discogs - Every seller I've had has been awesome so far.  Just looked at feedback before buying

Fat Possum

Hot Topic

Will order from, but not happy about it:

Amazon

eBay

Absolute Worst:

Sonic Cathedral - Took 3 months to get my Dead Mellotron album. Not a pre-order....

ShopRadioCunts - Same story as everyone else. In stock record, never ships, email danny, "it's shipping tomorrow", never ships, email danny, "it's shipping tomorrow", never ships, continue this pattern for a month or so, file claim and dispute charges with bank. How these guys stay in business is beyond me. I'll never order from there again.

Hot topic is always been really good to me. The ship to store option is great, and they always give tracking numbers. One record came in slightly damaged, but I don't think it was because shipping.

Revhq is awesome. Fast Shipping and included some cool stuff for free.

ETR packages things extremely well and they ship fast,

those are the stand out ones for me, never really had a bad experience. 

Rise Records. not so great inserts (generally came in with a split that I can even see when they aren't even unsealed, but ill blame that on the mail carriers). They sent me free vinyl whenever they messed up and it always came well packaged and the sleeves were in perfect shape (I'm pretty damn OCD)

the rise records on ebay is in fact rise records i can verify that as well. Impeccable customer service.  

Hot Topic's ship to store's packaging was great. Everything is mint. 

Best Buy ships fast and my album looked perfect.

ShopRadioCast replies to emails extremely fast.

I've had very good experiences lately.

Best Buy hell yea! I ordered an animals as leaders vinyl and it came in PERFECT condition!

There's already 5 or 6 other people on their Facebook wall complaining about the same thing with no response. One guy says he's been waiting over 4 months. It seems like they have a pattern of not responding to their customers at all.

Wow a cassette for 4 months?!

I had shit service from Jaunt Records in Portland about a Trip Tides cassette. I paid through PayPal and everything. They said they never put tracking on it since it was First Class (I thought Tracking was Included when you purchase off PayPal? That's how it is on eBay at least) Idk well they finally sent a 2nd one and said eventually that was sent to the wrong address as well... they put a "9" instead of a "6" so they made me go knock on the neighbors door and of course it wasn't the neighbors faults at all. They never contacted me back. I didn't understand why they couldn't have used the PayPal address I paid them with. All in all they sent out a copy to the correct address finally using PayPals print out slip. I went to go thank them through e-mail and tell them how great the EP was but no response. I hate that shit, where they work with you and "try" to seem like they're nice but really they don't give a shit especially about something that's 6$ + shipping. Never buying from them again. I don't think labels should be in the industry of customer service if they're not ready to genuinely help out and Bird Tapes seems like complete shit on that end of the spectrum. I don't care how much anyone likes those bands, taking peoples moneys and not giving them communication about their cassettes for months is horrible. 4 months is a long ass time, people could move within that time frame and not hearing back is disheartening.

As with a lot of other people, ordering from Deathwish is always a pleasure. Being in the UK and receiving your order a week later - with a reasonable postage charge - is something a lot of distros/labels from across the pond still need to catch up on!

UK based,  http://gothedistance.bigcartel.com is backed. Next day delivery and great packaging. Also, Rich at Speedowax is always a chill guy to buy from, always threw in something extra he thought I'd like. 

Hi! So I just stumbled upon this message board today. Haven't posted yet....so I figured I'll jump right in here.

I didn't read through all the pages of this topic so I don't know if these labels were mentioned yet:

Joyful Noise

Matador

Both amazing customer service. I have ordered a lot of stuff from Joyful Noise and whenever I had a question or concern they were back with a response within an hour or two.

I bought a few records from Best Buy's mailorder. One was a Matador release. It was a double album but both records were disc 2. Was gonna try returning it to BB but figured I'd hit up Matador to see if they could help. I got a response in minutes (on a Sunday!) and within two days I had a full replacement of the whole album. I offered to send back the defect and they told me to just keep it.

I've actually had really great experiences with almost everywhere I have bought from big names (amazon, bestbuy, blah blah corporations) and many smaller places/ labels (FAT is awesome with fixing errors, District Lines packing and customer servie is good -not via emai, just call, King Roads packs well, Saddle Creek is good all around, Asian Man is pretty good at packing, great customer service). Even shopradiocast has never fucked me, once an "in stock" LP was holding up my order, but I was in no real rush. It all came in good shape. All the eBay/ Discogs sellers have been great (minus the occasional scammer).

Every distro or label I have listed here, I would have no qualms about recommending. however, the easiest way to ensure quality is to go to your local indie store to pick up new releases (where you have them- I don't know what it's like to be without one, but I feel for you if you know that feeling).

Ordered a record 6/30/14 from I Am Shark.  They said they've shipped the record, and the Paypal claim was closed due to that proof.  Can't get them to respond to e-mails.  Poor communication and I'm out the money.

I ordered from them around the same time and the record eventually came in about 3 weeks later, but there was no tracking or communication even after I asked them how long to expect it to take. I hope you get in touch with them and find out what the hold up is. All-in-all their packaging was really good, but everything else was kinda garbage about them (except the price!). I totally forgot about ordering from them, thanks for the reminder and good luck.

Ordered a record 6/30/14 from I Am Shark.  They said they've shipped the record, and the Paypal claim was closed due to that proof.  Can't get them to respond to e-mails.  Poor communication and I'm out the money.

I ordered from them around the same time and the record eventually came in about 3 weeks later, but there was no tracking or communication even after I asked them how long to expect it to take. I hope you get in touch with them and find out what the hold up is. All-in-all their packaging was really good, but everything else was kinda garbage about them (except the price!). I totally forgot about ordering from them, thanks for the reminder and good luck.

I'm actually surprised by this, when I ordered...I got shipping notice the next day and the record came super fast.  I hope you get it worked out Thankdoge.

Big thumbs up to Rise Music in the UK (not to be confused with rise records in the USA who I've never used). 10% off pre-orders, free shipping over £60 and excellent customer service. Even when the things that go wrong aren't their fault you get plenty of goodies and they just sourced me a replacement disc for the Afghan Whigs - Do To The Beast loser edition.

http://www.rise-music.co.uk/

Recently pIaced an order with merchnow.com and I am a little disappointed.  Two of the corners are dinged up and it appears to be opened already when I thought it was going to be new and sealed.

One thing I read on discogs is it was suppose to include a postcard as well and it did not. Just a little bummed for something I spent 40 bucks on and to receive it somewhat damaged and below expectations.

The record was packaged well, so I don't know exactly went wrong.

I don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back, so I guess I will be happy with the fact that I own a copy of Nirvana's Incesticide now.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck shop radio cast.

Order on the 7th.

Shipped late on the 20th.

Took 3 days to return my emails

Got my package today.

A record is missing and they still charged me

Another one is skipping (it's not my table) EDIT:It was my needle. Had to adjust it.

Ugh.

Edited by blockmblock21

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?