Post Your Record Storage Area

I really want to ditch my expedits and build or buy record store style shelves.

do iiiit. I spent about $75 on lumber and stain to build one and its sturdy as hell and holds about..I'd say 400 records maybe. Used a rubber coating to line the shelves as well to prevent super slippage on the stained wood. The bottom shelf does kind of suck, but I think with some lighting it could make it way more efficient; thats the main qualm I have with them. Oznium.com has some great LED stuff that I want to add on. But I've been far too distracted with getting my lawn ready for summer. Damn AZ heat...

do iiiit. I spent about $75 on lumber and stain to build one and its sturdy as hell and holds about..I'd say 400 records maybe. Used a rubber coating to line the shelves as well to prevent super slippage on the stained wood. The bottom shelf does kind of suck, but I think with some lighting it could make it way more efficient; thats the main qualm I have with them. Oznium.com has some great LED stuff that I want to add on. But I've been far too distracted with getting my lawn ready for summer. Damn AZ heat...

I built one too, no bottom shelf yet, I like to put my crates under it for now. But, it holds well over 500.

I built one too, no bottom shelf yet, I like to put my crates under it for now. But, it holds well over 500.

I don't really have any room now. As soon as I do I'm going to build some.

I'm stoked I'll have to build 2 or 3 though. Maybe more if I want to make sure I have room for awhile

Here is my incredibly modest setup. This is the best location for my turntable/speakers as I live in an incredibly tiny 3-room studio apartment. 

The speakers are up next to be upgraded. The turntable is a basic Orbit, and the amp is a Yamaha A-S300 just out of frame. The two main prints are copies of pieces by the fabulous Viviana Gonzalez (https://twitter.com/ArtViviana).

records_zpsb4612494.jpg

Here's what I'm using now. I loved them but the lady hates them but that's not the real issue. The issue is that the room is now so full that I have a couple more of those in the adjoining room. I need to fit it all in the one room and the only place to go is up. The cheapest and easiest solution for both of us is the Expedit system but of course that leaves me with well over 4000 7" that need things to hold them that look decent/presentable. That eliminates any free option like shoe boxes or priority mail boxes.

thevault.jpg

That's a lot of blink 182 records

they definitely don't look so great next to expedits due to the (subtle but noticeable) size difference. in the process of redoing my record area and got two 2x4 kallax this week. i have to say, i kind of like the fact that they're a bit sleeker. especially for my nyc apartment. i also feel like the pieces went together a bit easier than the expedits. 

10349583_1474218449480166_947008732_n.jp

they definitely don't look so great next to expedits due to the (subtle but noticeable) size difference. in the process of redoing my record area and got two 2x4 kallax this week. i have to say, i kind of like the fact that they're a bit sleeker. especially for my nyc apartment. i also feel like the pieces went together a bit easier than the expedits. 

10349583_1474218449480166_947008732_n.jp

MTSAFTT.

Move Those Speakers Away From The Turntable

MTSAFTT.

Move Those Speakers Away From The Turntable

i know, i know :(  that was an in-progress shot. i wasn't intending to post it at all, but since folks were asking about the kallax, i figured it was relevant.

i'm re-organizing my entire living room at the moment and might be moving my entire set up. unfortunately, with NYC apartments, space is limited, so not a whole lot of options. until i figure out a better solution, i think i'm going to try putting them on top of the taller one once i'm sure that my roommate's cat won't climb up there and knock them down. he can be a dick sometimes. 

i know, i know :(  that was an in-progress shot. i wasn't intending to post it at all, but since folks were asking about the kallax, i figured it was relevant.

i'm re-organizing my entire living room at the moment and might be moving my entire set up. unfortunately, with NYC apartments, space is limited, so not a whole lot of options. until i figure out a better solution, i think i'm going to try putting them on top of the taller one once i'm sure that my roommate's cat won't climb up there and knock them down. he can be a dick sometimes. 

You can buy adhesive circular foam that you place underneath the speakers to reduce any kind of vibration for the turntables. I find they work really well if space is limited. 

I feel your pain on this one.... My collection is about to start taking up the living room, which I don't think my roommates are going to be too happy about.

haha true story. mine is pretty much taking up a large chunk of the living room. current roommate is moving out soon, so doesn't care. new one will just have to deal with it  ;)

whereabouts in bk are you? 

You can buy adhesive circular foam that you place underneath the speakers to reduce any kind of vibration for the turntables. I find they work really well if space is limited. 

good call. i've seen options for raising the turntable to reduce vibrations, but haven't looked into anything similar for the speakers. will look into that. thanks!

• jhulud locked this topic