What was your last "why the fuck did i buy that" record?

There's been plenty of VC Hype Bands that I've bought into and then later wondered why the hell I did. Too many to list.

Thankfully I've been able to get rid of them for the most part.

This! Almost all the records I've regretted getting are 'VC hype bands'. 

That said, the amount of good music I've discovered through here has far far outweighed the bad music.

Whenever I go to the mall I end up walking into HT and wanting to buy a record. Then I flip through everything and I realize there's nothing I want. Then I get this urge to buy a record and pick up something and the rationalization begins. "Well this is.... not bad." Then I carry it around for a few minutes until I realize that I want to buy any record and not this record. So I put it back. The people that work there must think I'm autistic as fuck.

Angel City - Two minute warning. Bought it at a local record store because the dude working said it was a pretty good classic rock album. The fact that it was a new sealed original pressing from the 80's and only 4 dollars should have given it away that it was terrible.  

Sleigh Bells - Reign Of Terror

Bought it for one song with hopes the rest of the album was just as good.

Childish Gambino - Heartbeat remix (record store day)

I was probably super hyped on him back then.  I don't think I have ever even spun it.

Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins

bought it for the wife.  she doesn't listen to records :)

Finch - What it is to Burn (Universal)

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar (Universal)

I was deluding myself into thinking these might be like prior vinyl releases with a non-CD sourced master.  

On a lighter note I resold Antichrist to some rube for $35 of pure profit after listening to side A.

White fence - Growing Faith

Avid collector of 60's this sounded perfect. Yet, I cannot get into this at all. I've tried, over and over again.

I'd consider taking that off your hands. I quite liked the album. Not sure whether the UK is close enough to make it worth it though. These go for an okay price on discogs, the closest to me being Netherlands.

Radiator Hospital, kinda. The songs with electric guitars are SO FUCKING GOOD but then those real rockin' fucking awesome cool songs are surrounded by songs played entirely on UKELES AND BANJOS which are, in fact and inarguably, THE WORST INSTRUMENTS EVER.

I have so many. With bands getting so hyped up here, it can be difficult not to get caught up in the insanity and sometimes you have to make quick decisions to get the most limited variant bs or regret it later.

I am coming to the realization that in most cases I should just wait and if I miss out on a rarity I can pay more for it later. In the end I think I will end up buying less crap that I only listen to once or twice. Paying more for those few I truly care about would still put me ahead in the spending department.

Though, I will say that I have made some rash decisions and been very happy.

Danger Mouse - Dark Night of the Soul

I was at my local shop, and for some reason didn't want to leave empty handed. I listened to the first track before buying and thought it was decent enough .... i started listening when i got home but stopped half way, haven't gone back to it since

Really?  While I don't actually listen to it THAT often it's a killer album... I definitely wouldn't mind having it in my collection.

Childish Gambino - Heartbeat remix (record store day)

I was probably super hyped on him back then.  I don't think I have ever even spun it.

I'd gladly take this off your hands for a non-inflated price ;)

I really only have two:

Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal - It's not a bad album, but I rarely listen to it.  I forgot I had pre-ordered it on Amazon (in hopes the price would drop), but it didn't and I forgot until I got a notice that I had been changed like $42 for it :P  I would have paid closer to $10.

Adema - Insomniac EP - I bought this for the Chris Vrenna remix, and because early Adema is a guilty pleasure.  I've grown out of it though and only listen to it once every couple of years... but I only paid like $2.50 shipped, so whatever ;)

Thought of another one... Touché Amoré's Is Survived By. Already sold my sealed Transparent Light Blue copy I had 'cuz I didn't like it and here I am opening my package from Deathwish for the Deluxe Box Set that I really don't want either but I'll probably keep it just 'cuz it is some pretty sexy packaging.

Thought of another one... Touché Amoré's Is Survived By. Already sold my sealed Transparent Light Blue copy I had 'cuz I didn't like it and here I am opening my package from Deathwish for the Deluxe Box Set that I really don't want either but I'll probably keep it just 'cuz it is some pretty sexy packaging.

If you decide to sell (or trade), please let me know.

Grails' Black Tar Prophecies Vol. 4, 5 & 6... bought it 'cuz it was limited and felt like I'd probably enjoy it as I liked some previous stuff from Grails but ended up re-listening to the MP3's and decided to sell my sealed copy 'cuz I really didn't like it at all. At least, not enough to warrant keeping it and opening it. Fortunately, the dude I sold it to missed out on getting it so he was quite stoked to get the limited pressing. I guess that's a win-win for both of us.

exactly this.

Scarlet Johansen - Anywhere I Lay My Head.  Love Tom Waits and it was in the bargain bin at a local record shop, so I figured, why not?  Hardly ever listen it.

You could build a house with the records and CDs of folks who thought they could cover Tom Waits well and failed miserably.

There's a reason he's Tom Waits.