RIP David Bowie

IanRees

Probably one of the, if not the most respected/beloved musician of our time. Many people love the Beatles, but many dislike them too. I find it hard to believe that there is really anyone who doesn't like at least a few Bowie songs. I have always seen him as a bringer-together of fans of all music styles. RIP

His NYC home is across the street from my office - he used to have a space in this building too. It's a crowd there. The people are cool but the news trucks are making it a bit more of a scene than needed. 

In 2004 a co-worker and I were going to take a ride up to the Bronx on a project. He was distracted for a moment while pulling away from the curb in front of the office and didn't see a jaywalker trying to cut in front of our car. I screamed at the top of my lungs - closest I've been personally to running someone over. The person was face down on our hood with both arms splayed palms down. When the insanely frightened person looked up it was Bowie. We almost killed him on his walk to his office. He was pure Gentleman, accepted our rattled apology and walked off without a bit of anger expressed. We debated if we'd have to leave the country or what if that accident had happened - I figured yes. 

The man was a genius as a personality and performer. Pushed Rock n Roll and sexuality into realms it had barely touched previously. I'll be spinning Ziggy all night. 

Though nothing, will keep us together

We could steal time, just for one day

We can be heroes, for ever and ever

What'd you say?

He was such a beautiful and inspirational man, with nothing but love and wisdom to spread, especially for those who had always been outside of the mainstream. This news breaks my heart :(

One of the first LPs i ever bought 15 years ago was ziggy stardust. Dude is such a monster. Last time he came to pittsburgh was about 12 years ago and i didnt go. Kicked myself ever since and hoped he would do a proper tour again.

True pioneer in rock and he will be missed. As kevin smith says "a huge cauldron of win"

I had always appreciated Bowie and his music but didn't delve much into anything until I caught a few of the dates of the Outside tour in 1995 with Nine Inch Nails. It was then that it all essentially clicked for me with Bowie's music and really understood it and appreciated it even more.

Just this past Friday night, I was at the SSPU show with a buddy and we got to talking about Bowie and his new record and all and I commented that if he were to tour for it, we'd definitely had to make sure to go to a show or two. Getting the news this morning has me even more crushed and as sad as everyone has been expressing as well.

I've been listening to his albums all day. I almost lost it when I heard Where Are We Now on my way home.

Probably one of the, if not the most respected/beloved musician of our time. Many people love the Beatles, but many dislike them too. I find it hard to believe that there is really anyone who doesn't like at least a few Bowie songs. I have always seen him as a bringer-together of fans of all music styles. RIP

Oh nah, my dad fucking hated him. When I told him about Blackstar three days ago and how much of a fucking living legend Bowie was, he just scoffed, saying he couldn't sing for shit (and he probably disliked his androgynous appearance, too). After reading an article about him this morning however, I guess he at least respects him now smh.

Bowie is (was) the closest thing to a musical hero that I ever had.

It has been immensely difficult dealing with his death today. As an alienated teen, his music gave me hope (even though I endured homophobic slurs and worse for listening to his music). As an aging person, his music has been both challenging and comforting.

I wish that I could have just said Thank You for everything. Just once, face to face... and now that can never happen. It's saddening.

I hope that his family finds some small comfort in how he touched millions of people's lives for the better.

My real first appreciation of him was when he toured for outside with nin. Reznor spoke so highly of him and low. Low introduced me to atmosphere and texture in music and the many bands it influenced.

Seeing him on that tour and watching half the arena empty after nin and the "duet set" but my dad saying we are not leaving was surely a good call

With that said, outside remains an underappreciated album in his catalog and one of my top 5 by the thin white duke

The plus side is him and Lou are hanging out tonight.

Besides his own music, producing tranformer, raw power, the idiot,lust for life, his film career, his modern work with arcade fire,tvotr,nin and his everevolving perception of art beyond sound should never be taken for granted. David was more than a musican, he was a visionary for many of people. He will always be an artist's artist like many of his underappreciated peers who did it on his terms until the end

I heard the news yesterday and I'm not a David Bowie fan. Not that I don't enjoy his music; I just never listened to him. Just about an hour ago, my dad comes in my room and tells me that he died. I told him that yeah, I knew and that it was cancer. Then he said "Under Pressure..." in a bummed tone. I was a little confused about that until I looked it up and realized he and Queen had written that song together. I had not a clue. This made me more sad about his death, man. Rest in peace.

The plus side is him and Lou are hanging out tonight.

Besides his own music, producing tranformer, raw power, the idiot,lust for life, his film career, his modern work with arcade fire,tvotr,nin and his everevolving perception of art beyond sound should never be taken for granted. David was more than a musican, he was a visionary for many of people. He will always be an artist's artist like many of his underappreciated peers who did it on his terms until the end

This stuff.  Without Bowie, Raw Power very likely would have never seen the light of day.  Where would we be then?  He also co-wrote a bunch of Iggy's solo stuff.  Listen to Some Weird Sin, Bowie is all over that song.

DAVID BOWIE AND THE OCCULT -

It’s a tribute to the greatest magician of the 20th century on this week’s Last Podcast as we cover Bowie’s occult obsessions from 1971’s Hunky Dory to 1976’s Station To Station and how those pepper-milk cocaine fueled days tie in with Bowie’s very last album, Blackstar.

http://cavecomedyradio.com/podcast-episode/david-bowie-and-the-occult/