PO NOW: American Football - American Football (LP2) (Oct 21 2016; Polyvinyl)

Glad to hear the gold is metallic after all (not that I had any doubt).  Should match the cover's aesthetics to a T.

One listen down this morning.  First impressions:

I quite like it.  Having deliberately ignored the singles over the past month, I went into it completely blind and was not the least bit disappointed.  Musically the band hasn't missed a beat; production aside, the musicianship sounds like a direct extension of their first self-titled.  The guitars have that signature airy vibe that's perfect for Fall weather, the drums are borderline jazzy, and the subtle math rock vibes pulse throughout the entire record's veins.  Definitely feeling it.  Vocally, moments are tough to shake from Owen (ft. American Football), and I can see why some folks would get hung up on that.  But it's unrealistic to expect Mike's voice to sound the same after 17 years.  Instruments can be played similarly to their '99 sound, but Mike's vocal chords and general vocal skill set have matured over the years, and it's impossible to expect him to replicate that same delivery.  It certainly doesn't detract from the album for me, but it will take a few more (equally enjoyable) listens for my brain to fully establish this as the current AF sound, after being conditioned to Mike's voice from the debut and EP for so long.  Really happy with it, regardless.  This comeback could've been a disaster, in theory, but they nailed it.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Glad to hear the gold is metallic after all (not that I had any doubt).  Should match the cover's aesthetics to a T.

One listen down this morning.  First impressions:

Hide contents

I quite like it.  Having deliberately ignored the singles over the past month, I went into it completely blind and was not the least bit disappointed.  Musically the band hasn't missed a beat; production aside, the musicianship sounds like a direct extension of their first self-titled.  The guitars have that signature airy vibe that's perfect for Fall weather, the drums are borderline jazzy, and the subtle math rock vibes pulse throughout the entire record's veins.  Definitely feeling it.  Vocally, moments are tough to shake from Owen (ft. American Football), and I can see why some folks would get hung up on that.  But it's unrealistic to expect Mike's voice to sound the same after 17 years.  Instruments can be played similarly to their '99 sound, but Mike's vocal chords and general vocal skill set have matured over the years, and it's impossible to expect him to replicate that same delivery.  It certainly doesn't detract from the album for me, but it will take a few more (equally enjoyable) listens for my brain to fully establish this as the current AF sound, after being conditioned to Mike's voice from the debut and EP for so long.  Really happy with it, regardless.  This comeback could've been a disaster, in theory, but they nailed it.

I always find the 'their vocals sound different' comment a little odd, especially when so many years have passed. Like, no shit they sound different, it's been almost twenty years. 

5 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I always find the 'their vocals sound different' comment a little odd, especially when so many years have passed. Like, no shit they sound different, it's been almost twenty years. 

The vocals/lyrics make up my only complaints about the album, but I think they're hard to ignore.  Yes, he sounds different and it's a tough adjustment but I think it's fair to complain about A ) the vocals being noticeably more prominent in the mix B ) his tone sounding kinda bored sometimes and C ) the lyrics being cheesy at times.

No issue with the musicianship though, album's a 3.5/5 after 3 listens

I'm not a fan of becoming involved in discussions like these - but the culture of immediately dogpiling on someone after they say something insensitive is a little annoying.

Often people like Mike have very different intentions than what their text may convey to other people. I don't condone any of the deplorable misogynistic remarks many people make, and I'm not jumping to defend Kinsella, but everyone really needs to step back and take a look at how everyone, especially the person who made the mistake, is reacting.

Considering how soon Mike retracted the tweet and made ground to apologise, I don't think his intentions were anywhere near as dastardly as some might make them out to be. Twitter is harsh and the world of immediate black-and-white "you're either perfect or you're terrible" is an awful mindset to have. I am in no way trying to defend the actual, real, disturbing culture of misogyny - correcting him is a logical, good, reasonable step to do - I'm just asking people to not immediately go "well, he's terrible, I hate him now" off of one instance that very likely may have been a slipup in speech.

There's a very good TED talk about this. I would recommend watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAIP6fI0NAI

tl;dr: what he said was wrong, it was a bit shocking; but intentions are never clear especially on the internet: considering his reaction towards his fans, and his response to the situation, I would sit back and try not to immediately assume the worst of him. Correct the statement, explain why it was wrong, but don't demonise him off of one thing - we're all human beings.

Edited by deer