Jump to content
Multiverse

Moving with your record collection---How did ya?

Recommended Posts

Hey folks, 


I applied to grad school this week. I will likely have to move across the country in August. After I finish, I plan on pursuing a PhD which will likely have me moving somewhere else. I'm really stoked at the prospect but I don't know if it's worth holding onto my collection. I have a bit over 400 LPs right now, I don't have a crazy fancy setup but like 1kish in record player/speakers/preamp. 

I just wanted to hear how any of y'all approached a cross country move with your records

I have so many goddamn books and music gear that I have to worry about moving and those things seem more important than stuff that I can theoretically listen to digitally. I don't know. 

Did you sell off everything and start over? Keep a few things? How much other shit do you have? 


I have a whole bunch of albums that have a lot of sentimental value that I rarely listen to but I don't want to sell, I don't know if it's worth keeping like  1/4th of this collection if I'll only actively listen to 1/4th of that. 


I have no idea, I keep oscillating between selling everything now and just trimming off a good chunk and bringing the rest with me. 


Also my bad if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if this belonged in "everything else" or not

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Multiverse said:

Hey folks, 


I applied to grad school this week. I will likely have to move across the country in August. After I finish, I plan on pursuing a PhD which will likely have me moving somewhere else. I'm really stoked at the prospect but I don't know if it's worth holding onto my collection. I have a bit over 400 LPs right now, I don't have a crazy fancy setup but like 1kish in record player/speakers/preamp. 

I just wanted to hear how any of y'all approached a cross country move with your records

I have so many goddamn books and music gear that I have to worry about moving and those things seem more important than stuff that I can theoretically listen to digitally. I don't know. 

Did you sell off everything and start over? Keep a few things? How much other shit do you have? 


I have a whole bunch of albums that have a lot of sentimental value that I rarely listen to but I don't want to sell, I don't know if it's worth keeping like  1/4th of this collection if I'll only actively listen to 1/4th of that. 


I have no idea, I keep oscillating between selling everything now and just trimming off a good chunk and bringing the rest with me. 


Also my bad if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure if this belonged in "everything else" or not

 

If you go the uship route post up the bid, I got a similar size collection and will be moving across the country too.  Just wanna get an idea of cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I remember of being a student (best part of 20 years ago), the hobby seems completely incompatible with the limited space of a small room in a university hall of residence or a shared flat full of drunk or stoned young adults.

 

When I was a student, I had a £35 CD mini-Hi-Fi and about 30 CDs.  Music was an absolute life-saver but it had to be a space-saver as well.  Vinyl wasn't even a consideration at that time.

 

For me, it's highly unlikely that I would ever have to move outside my local area so I would do more of a Great Escape/Shawshank Redemption thing and take them over 15 at a time in my record bag rather than trust them to some removal company.

Edited by English Invader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We recently moved and my collection is about the same size. The Uhaul small sized boxes were a lifesaver they fit LPs just about perfectly. As it was a short distance I just put them in the hatch of my car and drive them but I imagine they’d be fine in a truck or pod packed carefully as long as it’s not stopping for days in the desert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Corgipants said:

The Uhaul small sized boxes were a lifesaver they fit LPs just about perfectly. As it was a short distance I just put them in the hatch of my car and drive them but I imagine they’d be fine in a truck or pod packed carefully as long as it’s not stopping for days in the desert.

+1

I just wouldn't stack them too high, probably 3 high at the most.

Be sure to number the boxes with a collection that size.

And unless you're paying someone, you just have to resign yourself to the pain in the ass of lugging them. It is a very good feeling when you're done...haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i keep a huge-ass stack of mailers for moves and managed to fit most of my ~500 LPs in what i had saved up here during my last move (grad school was the culprit here too haha). the remainder were thrown in the best boxes i could find but were a lil precarious. escaped the whole ordeal with a small number of corner dings, perfectly ok with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

hard to believe someone who pushes their content so forcefully on the internet could be so thin-skinned

hard to believe that grown men living their pop punk fantasies on the internet need to try to bring other people down for no other reason than short-sighted malice in 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Eat shit 🤠

That's not very bible like of you Mr. West. What do you think our lord would have to say about your language?!

But seriously I just bought a shit ton of these. It sucks moving records anyway you do it, but I was careful and it worked for me. Moved my collection a bunch of times now. Hopefully never again. Only cost me ~$50 bucks or so to move a few thousand records. Just finished my basement last month and moved my collection into the new "office" to make another bedroom upstairs for my second baby. Even just moving the collection down a few flights of stairs totally sucked ass...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amaestre said:

Used these before and worked great:

Aviditi 131313 Corrugated Box, 13" Length x 13" Width x 13" Height, Kraft (Bundle of 25) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT3Q1KK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hms7DbA6A60KV

U-Haul’s are wider, cheaper, and have handles.  If you tape the bottoms, they can hold quite a bit of weight.  I wouldn’t advise carrying them by the handles but depending on how much you stock, the handles are nice for light use or getting an initial grip.  They can also be slid into any IKEA shelf with just a bit of overhang, in case unpacking them is not a priority and you don’t want a ton of record boxes cluttering up your floor space in the meantime.

 

Shoutout to @rooks for recently sharing all this info with me.  I was impressed with how effective it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

uhaul boxes are PERFECT for moving vinyl. I moved about 800 LPs when graduating college but it was only from one side of Texas to the other (7hr ish drive). I say hold on to the collection, it's going to be a bitch to replace when you decide to. you could also maybe rent a storage unit for your vinyl while you're in grad school. or maybe just dump them at your parents house if that's an option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

U-Haul’s are wider, cheaper, and have handles.  If you tape the bottoms, they can hold quite a bit of weight.  I wouldn’t advise carrying them by the handles but depending on how much you stock, the handles are nice for light use or getting an initial grip.  They can also be slid into any IKEA shelf with just a bit of overhang, in case unpacking them is not a priority and you don’t want a ton of record boxes cluttering up your floor space in the meantime.

 

Shoutout to @rooks for recently sharing all this info with me.  I was impressed with how effective it was.

definitely do not use the handles they will tear and fuck everything up. just tape over them so people helping you don't try to use the handles either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×