Post Your Record Storage Area

• 3 weeks later...

Storage question: What do you do with albums that have covers that shouldn't really be stored vertically between a bunch of other albums?  I'm thinking specifically of "Sticky Fingers," which has an actual zipper sticking on the front.  If I put it on the shelf with the rest of my records the zipper is sure to do damage to the album next to it over time.  What you all usually do with these issues?

Maybe put a cardboard divider or two between that record and the next? The LP mailer fillers would probably do the trick.

This is what I've done. I have the Prince Rama lp that had a "bejeweled" edition.

Terrible idea. It has 1/8" rhinestones glued to the cover.

I folded a few strips of cardboard and slipped them into the poly bag. Works like a charm.

moved into a new apartment last weekend. this weekend's project was fixing up the new stereo area – it's a 4x4 Expedit with one of the top shelves removed for the turntable, preamp and "regular rotation" LPs. sold some records so i could fit my collection into 4 cubbies and the rest are slowly being filled with miscellaneous shit as i unpack and my roommate moves some stuff out to this area. in a couple more weeks i'll fix up the wiring (looks terrible right now) and find some stuff to fill in the other cubbies as well.

on the top i've got my receiver along with the tower speakers – i wasn't super into having the tower speakers up on top at first, but kind of in a tight bind with this room since there's a sectional sofa. it was either this, or having the sofa block the left speaker, or re-arranging the entire room completely, so this is the solution for now. actually kind of enjoying the feeling of the speakers being above ear-level but it's certainly not the most ideal situation.

LJmv0VQ.jpg

Storage question: What do you do with albums that have covers that shouldn't really be stored vertically between a bunch of other albums?  I'm thinking specifically of "Sticky Fingers," which has an actual zipper sticking on the front.  If I put it on the shelf with the rest of my records the zipper is sure to do damage to the album next to it over time.  What you all usually do with these issues?

worst case scenario, if your storage space has room, put this one horizontal on top of all the vertically stacked ones. if you're using expedit, those cubes are definitely big enough. i've had to do this before as well.

I tried putting my floor standing speakers up high like that once and didn't like it at all. Ended up completely rearranging the room again the next day. 

good thing is that this sectional sofa belongs to the roommate who is in the process of moving out. when we get a smaller sofa in here i'll probably move them right down on either side of the shelving unit. doesn't look terrible for a potentially month-long solution though.

moved into a new apartment last weekend. this weekend's project was fixing up the new stereo area – it's a 4x4 Expedit with one of the top shelves removed for the turntable, preamp and "regular rotation" LPs. sold some records so i could fit my collection into 4 cubbies and the rest are slowly being filled with miscellaneous shit as i unpack and my roommate moves some stuff out to this area. in a couple more weeks i'll fix up the wiring (looks terrible right now) and find some stuff to fill in the other cubbies as well.

on the top i've got my receiver along with the tower speakers – i wasn't super into having the tower speakers up on top at first, but kind of in a tight bind with this room since there's a sectional sofa. it was either this, or having the sofa block the left speaker, or re-arranging the entire room completely, so this is the solution for now. actually kind of enjoying the feeling of the speakers being above ear-level but it's certainly not the most ideal situation.

LJmv0VQ.jpg

hide those wires!  ;)

recently upgraded my shelf 

_DSC2764.jpg

loving this ikea shelf and lights

_DSC2765.jpg

sharing the area with the wife and her books

_DSC2766.jpg

and found this little gem while moving stuff.  i know its not vinyl, but still thought it was neat

_DSC2767.jpg

i remember snagging this at warped tour in 2003

recently upgraded my shelf 

_DSC2764.jpg

loving this ikea shelf and lights

_DSC2765.jpg

sharing the area with the wife and her books

_DSC2766.jpg

and found this little gem while moving stuff.  i know its not vinyl, but still thought it was neat

_DSC2767.jpg

i remember snagging this at warped tour in 2003

That Passion Stage Poster from Cornerstone is pretty sweet man ;)

EDIT: That Mile High School poster though! I had a HUGE crush on your keyboard player. 

• jhulud locked this topic