PO NOW: American Football - American Football (LP2) (Oct 21 2016; Polyvinyl)

45 minutes ago, batman said:

Really happy with how that early bird variant turned out. Can't wait to spin it later this evening. 

35 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, that gold turned out exactly as I imagined it.  Looks great.

Same. I'm really loving the hand poured effect. Plus, the sound quality, oh man. You guys are gonna be very pleased.

I caved listened to the album when Polyvinyl sent out the full download. I absolutely love it! Its modern yet nostalgic. Complex and catchy.  In my opinion, this is some of the best , well tuned, and technical song writing put out by anyone in a long time. I really enjoy the lyrics and vocal styles. This album is what I've always hoped for and expected from Mike Kinsella. I'm blown away. I don't see this leaving my turntable for the foreseeable future. I can't comprehend how anybody in their right mind could listen to this album and feel that its not a keeper. I'd like to hear any new music in their library that can make LP2 seem forgettable. 

I've listened to the album maybe 10-20 times now and enjoy it for the most part, but something has always annoyed me slightly and I finally realized what it is. It's Kinsella's word-attack when he sings. He's doing this soft pretty attack to his words, much different from how he sang on LP1. He softly glides into them, and I just find it kind of cheesy. Otherwise I like everything else. I wonder if the change was intentional or if he just brought over his Owen style. 

13 hours ago, Kilgore Trout said:

I've listened to the album maybe 10-20 times now and enjoy it for the most part, but something has always annoyed me slightly and I finally realized what it is. It's Kinsella's word-attack when he sings. He's doing this soft pretty attack to his words, much different from how he sang on LP1. He softly glides into them, and I just find it kind of cheesy. Otherwise I like everything else. I wonder if the change was intentional or if he just brought over his Owen style. 

I'm pretty sure that's just how he sings now.  He mentioned in a recent interview that now he's "no longer afraid to walk out the front door" in regards to his vocals;  meaning the vocals on LP1 are that way because of a lack of confidence more than trying to sing in a certain style.

Edited by highfives

If this were eBay, right now I'd be giving Polyvinyl A++++++++++++ feedback

I ordered the bundle with the pennant and was charged only $3.84 for media mail shipping, so wasn't sure how it would arrive.  I was thinking rolled up in a poster tube or such, but instead got it in a full 30"x14"x8"box  with the pennant laying flat and securely fastened, and with the record in a separate box inside, along with enough packing material to start my next several bonfires- it definitely must have cost them more to ship, but I'm certianly glad they did it in such a manner to keep everything in such great shape.