Usually large companies based around shipping have discount commercial contracts with carriers to cut costs even further too. This guy is an asshole plain and simple for sure. I'm at least excited to know that he's gonna get a swift kick of reality right in his ass once all this is said and done, and the only #vibes he'll be providing will be at his new job at the 24 hour sex shop in the seedy part of town.

hey now, nothing wrong with working at a sex shop, besides some creepy customers. it's a much nobler job than flipping thrift store records to suckers, anyways.

If I were that dude I would say "Sorry. We only accept returns on VNYL. What we sent you and what you current possess are vinyl records. We do not accept returns on vinyl records. It really pains us when we can't make our customers happy and we think these would make great gifts for your friends. You're welcome."

hey now, nothing wrong with working at a sex shop, besides some creepy customers. it's a much nobler job than flipping thrift store records to suckers, anyways.

no mean to offend! absolutely nothing wrong with it. And true that would be a good thing for him. Then people will actually appreciate what he's selling them

I should start Canuckyl, the Canadian vinyl source. 

For $30.00 dollars USD a month you well receive a clever vinyl related limerick with your name in it, a vinyl related joke and 3 hand curated vinyl records guaranteed to live up to your expectations.

Artists I currently have piling up in my basement being stored in my moisture controlled, air conditioned shipping facility are as follows.  

Bryan Adams, Aldo Nova, Harlequin, Honeymoon Suite, Idle Eyes, Loverboy, Max Webster, Parachute Club, Prism, Saga, Spoons, Streetheart and Toronto

this is just a few of my amazing Canadian Contribution to Canuckyl

I love limericks! But i can find all those records if i wanted to hear them.... actually, i probably already have a few. lol

Everyone involved in this is getting exactly what they deserve. 

Including the guy who started it... $36K in tax-free dollars. No laws broken, no legal recourse. 

He's probably already been swooped up by Wall Street. "If you could convince hipsters to drop $36,000 on shitty Dan Fogelberg records, imagine what you could sell to rich clients who want to update their portfolios..."

Cause it has the #vibe sticker right there on the sleeve. What do people want? For this dude to suddenly start sending out $25 worth of records that are somehow related to your picky tastes? Give them to your friends and stop whining!!!

Lol. Love the website for the record store. It's fullscreen photos of some weird party with barely any info or photo space dedicated to actual records.

Including the guy who started it... $36K in tax-free dollars. No laws broken, no legal recourse. 

He's probably already been swooped up by Wall Street. "If you could convince hipsters to drop $36,000 on shitty Dan Fogelberg records, imagine what you could sell to rich clients who want to update their portfolios..."

Most likely (at least I hope), the pissed off backers will file a class action suit and clean the guy out. This is clearly a bait and switch, and the stereogum article a couple of pages back lays out the case better than any lawyer could.

Hell, in the article, the founder even admits that the business model was fundamentally changed *after* the kickstarter had closed. People bought in expecting Netflix for vinyl, and only afterwards realized it was "three random shitty records a month club".

This is like pre-ordering a new GTA game, but when you show up at Gamestop, they tell you they already ran out and give you a used copy of Vice City instead. They'd get sued six ways to Sunday, and so should this guy.

Most likely (at least I hope), the pissed off backers will file a class action suit and clean the guy out. This is clearly a bait and switch, and the stereogum article a couple of pages back lays out the case better than any lawyer could.

Hell, in the article, the founder even admits that the business model was fundamentally changed *after* the kickstarter had closed. People bought in expecting Netflix for vinyl, and only afterwards realized it was "three random shitty records a month club".

This is like pre-ordering a new GTA game, but when you show up at Gamestop, they tell you they already ran out and give you a used copy of Vice City instead. They'd get sued six ways to Sunday, and so should this guy.

pretty sure the previous poster is right and there is no legal recourse anyone can take. Kickstarter offers no guarantees whatsoever so he could've just taken the money and done nothing and they still wouldn't be able to do anything. You'd think people would be more discriminate about what they give to, especially when this 33k could've gone to a charity and not just the pockets of this douche, but as lame as the guys who run this seem you really cant' blame them. It was a half baked idea that played into a trend and enough idiots saw it on social media and thought "this will be cool" to significantly exceed their 10k funding goal. The ones at fault are the people who gave money to this (and its their money to spend so whatever) and honestly I'm sure even stupider ideas than this have been funded on kickstarter.

Crowdfunding in general is really lame and as far as I can tell only works when those seeking crowdfunding actually have something to lose by not following through with their promise. These guys basically got a free record store and probably have cash to spare considering they probably bought all of these on some huge wholesale since there seems to be literally no effort to pick out these records for people other than handwriting on a piece of paper "We picked these out for you! #cooking"

They may have since changed their terms & conditions, but as I recall Kickstarter is notorious for leaving backers without any meaningful legal recourse. There have been a few high profile campaigns that failed to deliver on their promises, with backers left in the dark with no means of getting their money back. It's essentially an investment where all the risk is shouldered by the backer, with the exception of the potential damage to the campaign runner's reputation.

That new Twitter is a mess with all those hashtags. Looks like they'll be shilling new pressings for sale too on top of dollar bin leftovers. Wonder if the Kickstarter money went into that venture. 

All the Kickstarter subscribers are going to be *shocked* when they discover vinyl records are still manufactured in 2015.

I think everyone would be even happier now that they get to keep them and not worry about sending them back and paying extra like the original plan. To the people who signed up for this, I would think they are getting what they expected. I wonder if the records are at least cleaned before they are sent out. Those thrift store finds are usually pretty dusty. Sadly some of that stuff is better than what I find in thrift stores around here but not $24 better.

I think everyone would be even happier now that they get to keep them and not worry about sending them back and paying extra like the original plan. To the people who signed up for this, I would think they are getting what they expected. I wonder if the records are at least cleaned before they are sent out. Those thrift store finds are usually pretty dusty. Sadly some of that stuff is better than what I find in thrift stores around here but not $24 better.

Guarantee they aren't clean, would bet a number of them (if not all) have scratches that affect play, and nearly all of them are worth .50-$1.00. So...paying $25 or whatever it cost for stuff that was supposedly "hand picked" for them, but turns out to be someone's actual garbage that they gave away...I sure wouldn't be happy if I were some hipster doofus who paid for this kind of overhyped stupid bullshit.