PO: NOTHING - The Great Dismal (10/30/2020) & The Great Dismal B-Sides 12" (10/8/21) - Up Next: Collab w/ Full of Hell 10/11 Midnight EST

zaoza

3 hours ago, CatsNJazz said:

This band hasn't been good since ToT idk why everyone still flocks to these drops like they're actually going to miss out on something lol

Great Dismal is basically their best album to date so I don’t know if that makes any sense.

To me, it feels like most Shoegaze et al fans are pretty entrenched & stubborn & hardline about the genre & unwilling to listen to other styles. With Nothing though, the band has attracted fans with more expanded tastes & listening habits. I mean, even the band members, original & newer, started in or are still doing bands & projects of varied non-Shoegaze stuff: Horror Show, Night Sins, White Lighter, Jesus Piece, etc. 

I can only speak for myself in loving both Nothing and Full Of Hell and being pretty excited for this collab record. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Deathwish still has the /300 as far as I know I just ordered one for myself as an early Xmas present, no more vinyl purchases for me personally. I did snag a couple other records for my partner for our 3rd anniversary this coming sunday at the record shop today, they didn't have the full of hell/nothing so I figured no one else in town is likely to have one

Edited by NapalmBrain

Gonna let repeat listens solidify this, but initial impression was disappointed in the incredible first track not really representing the whole, and rarely ever feeling like both bands were in the room together. It reads like a split rather than a collaboration most of the time. The one or two songs that DO feel more of a joint effort are rewarding, though!

Edited by DecayToDeath

18 hours ago, prowl20 said:

As someone who is only familiar with the first two Nothing records and kind of enjoys Full Of Hell (they're great at what they do, but if you asked me to name a song and/or album I'd definitely draw a blank), this album fucking rules!

This.  I was honestly surprised at how good this collab is.  

On 12/3/2023 at 8:15 PM, DecayToDeath said:

…rarely ever feeling like both bands were in the room together. It reads like a split rather than a collaboration most of the time. The one or two songs that DO feel more of a joint effort are rewarding, though!

I feel like you’re right, but it has its purpose in my eyes. Part of the write up talks about how despite the bands being sonically very different, they’re cut from the same cloth. I think having the tracks that are very FOH tracks and some that are NOTHING tracks clarifies that. It feels like a calm after the storm. The noise and rumbling is gone, but the same despair and dread can be there as you seek to rebuild.