New to the hobby

As often as I can, but it's not as much as I'd like to. Two young children make doing anything difficult if it's not their idea 😂

There are lots of knowledgeable people here, but most of us are grumpy and/ or sarcastic. Don't take it personally.

21 hours ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

There are lots of knowledgeable people here, but most of us are grumpy and/ or sarcastic. Don't take it personally.

This sounds familiar...

Trax Record Store, Championship Vinyl, and 8 more...

On 6/27/2023 at 11:52 AM, randdmart said:

How often does everyone listen to their vinyl?

Active listening? Weekly. Passive listening? Every couple days. Also, my wife doesn't work, so sitting down to actively listen to the new DRAIN album is not typically in the cards. It's much more likely that I can throw on a record like that while I'm doing stuff around the house. But the wife and I do have a large overlap in musical taste, so we do sit down and listen as well, just not as often. 

Thanks for making me question my entire existence!

My constructive answer to the question is much less than I'd like. In college I was able to basically have a record spinning if I was awake and not in class (I worked remote in Silicon Valley all through college). Nowadays, even though I still work from home my real job requires a bit more concentration and I generally find myself just letting Spotify play in the background so there's noise in my office. 

I have bought my daughter a few records (mostly the RSD Baby Shark stuff and Disney soundtracks), those get the most playtime. Occasionally I'll prop up on the couch with a bourbon and listen to something not aimed at the average three-year-old, but getting old sucks and there aren't enough hours in the day to do that more than once or twice a month. 

This hobby is way too expensive now, takes up too much space and sucks ass if you need to move. If you’re OK with all of those things then stick with it. And then yea just listen when you can/feel like it. There’s no right answer to how often you should be listening to your records.

18 hours ago, dantheriver said:

This hobby is way too expensive now, takes up too much space and sucks ass if you need to move. If you’re OK with all of those things then stick with it. And then yea just listen when you can/feel like it. There’s no right answer to how often you should be listening to your records.

Same, sucks but realistically Im done buyin in the current financial sitch

I usually only spin them if I'm doing something else in that room. 

Some words of wisdom, don't let FOMO take control over your spending. Only buy what you truly NEED to have on vinyl. I've accumulated way too many records over the last 8 years or so and every so often I go thru my discogs to see what records I actually want to keep. 

Moving 900+ records fucking blows. 

18 hours ago, pizza face said:

Some words of wisdom, don't let FOMO take control over your spending. Only buy what you truly NEED to have on vinyl. I've accumulated way too many records over the last 8 years or so and every so often I go thru my discogs to see what records I actually want to keep. 

So much this, especially during the start of Covid when I had nothing better to do than shop for records I ended up with alot of stuff I'll probably never listen to. 

Also keep a list of your pre-orders somewhere so you don't end up buying things twice, I learned that one the hard way a few times. 

2 hours ago, Corgipants said:

So much this, especially during the start of Covid when I had nothing better to do than shop for records I ended up with alot of stuff I'll probably never listen to. 

God. I bought SO MANY records during COVID "lockdown." So much that I had stacks on the floor by my (full) shelves. We have since had customs installed, but I could still stand to thin out the collection.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:37 AM, Corgipants said:

My constructive answer to the question is much less than I'd like. In college I was able to basically have a record spinning if I was awake and not in class (I worked remote in Silicon Valley all through college). Nowadays, even though I still work from home my real job requires a bit more concentration and I generally find myself just letting Spotify play in the background so there's noise in my office. 

I have bought my daughter a few records (mostly the RSD Baby Shark stuff and Disney soundtracks), those get the most playtime. Occasionally I'll prop up on the couch with a bourbon and listen to something not aimed at the average three-year-old, but getting old sucks and there aren't enough hours in the day to do that more than once or twice a month. 

I'm in the same boat. Little kids so I spin a ton of Disney albums and keep my comments about their subpar pressing to myself. I do make it a point to buy more of the "poppier" albums I like since I know the rest of the household can stomach it. My oldest likes to the help with the ritual of picking a record, turning the table on, closing the lid, turning the stereo on, etc.  I have several aggressive metal albums that have been spun once in the last 5 years and many more collecting dust, er I mean "passively appreciating in value".