topher

Tool Vinyl BUYING GUIDE (Original/Boots, etc.)

8 minutes ago, tape said:

Yeah, but why? Is it quieter? Mixed better? More dynamics? You'll find on this forum people just say things with no reason quite often. I doubt there will be more than one person that can even make this comparison here so it would be nice to have more info.

32 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Yeah, but why? Is it quieter? Mixed better? More dynamics? You'll find on this forum people just say things with no reason quite often. I doubt there will be more than one person that can even make this comparison here so it would be nice to have more info.

It's cut from the same lacquers so we know it's not possible to have a different mix or master and thus will not have different dynamics, likely the differences are either placebo effect or the original copy just happens to be a bad individual record which happens occasionally; for the VAST majority of people, they will be identical.

Edited by dobyblue

I can’t speak for a Mint 1st press so I can’t say weather it is quieter  but the vinyl is for sure thicker and anyone who has pressings from classic records knows how good they sound. It’s more dynamic for sure but not overwhelmingly. To me it’s worth the money and is the most dynamic way to listen to Aenima  

Edited by Saxonjulin

1 minute ago, Saxonjulin said:

I can’t speak for a Mint 1st press so I can’t say weather it is quieter  but the vinyl is for sure thicker and anyone who has pressings from classic records knows how good they sound. It’s more dynamic for sure but not overwhelmingly. To me it’s worth the money and is the most dynamic way to listen to Aenima  

Weight has nothing to do with sound, but there was only one master done by Bob Ludwig for all media so it literally cannot be "more dynamic" than any other version. Classic Records also prepared the inital pressing for Zoo, which is likely why it was also done at RTI (same as the 200g TPs)

Original 180g test from RTI -https://www.discogs.com/Tool-Ænima/release/7763661

5 minutes ago, Saxonjulin said:

Anyone else see why I asked now? Lol 

14 minutes ago, dobyblue said:

It's cut from the same lacquers so we know it's not possible to have a different mix or master and thus will not have different dynamics, likely the differences are either placebo effect or the original copy just happens to be a bad individual record which happens occasionally; for the VAST majority of people, they will be identical.

Thank you for this and your next post. The more ya know.

14 hours ago, dobyblue said:

Weight has nothing to do with sound, but there was only one master done by Bob Ludwig for all media so it literally cannot be "more dynamic" than any other version. Classic Records also prepared the inital pressing for Zoo, which is likely why it was also done at RTI (same as the 200g TPs)

Original 180g test from RTI -https://www.discogs.com/Tool-Ænima/release/7763661

The RTI test pressing is the test pressing I own. I have never opened it so cannot vouch for how good it sounds. I have chatted with one of the other owners who have opened theirs, and they said it sounds really good. My regular pressing is a little beat up and needs a decent clean as well. So I just listen to the FLACs if I want to listen to the album.

Discogs says there are currently 8 owners of the RTI test pressing, however the general opinion of myself, the other owners and the person at the pressing plant is that there are only 5. I think some people who own the later 200g test pressing have mistakenly tagged themselves on the RTI listing instead.

Edited by Mikizee